PDA

View Full Version : Amp Location?

JGates
06-07-2005, 09:46 PM
I'm contemplating adding an amp and sub to my stereo system. For those of you who are familiar with an 03' SSV hull or similiar model where have you seen them mounted in the main storage compartment? It appears as if there is additional added thickness (possibly wood?) to the inside of the hull and under the carpet to mount an amp. I've seen something similiar on a Centurion and thought it may be the same. Otherwise I'm at a loss. Don't want to screw it up. Thanks,

jhg

jdaugherty5
06-08-2005, 12:40 PM
I put a 12" Sealed sub in front of the kick panel under the drivers console. I have seen amps mounted on the kick panel it self. Personally I mounted the amp on the fiberglass panel that the kick panel screws into, this would be on the left side looking under the steering wheel. IF you look in side this compartment there is also a shelf, on the left side, that can be used to mount the amp on. This way the system is as close to the stereo as possible. I ran a separate power cable from a isolated dual battery setup to power the amp.

As I recall I don't think Supra has any wood in there boats. If you are talking about the bulk head stringers that run vertically down the side of the hull they may contain high density foam or something else but probably not wood. I have drilled into them to mount a high current solenoid with out any issues.

JGates
06-09-2005, 05:43 AM
jdaugherty5,

Thanks, I'll take a closer look far available space on the driver's side. I do have a heater system over there as well and don't know if it will be in the way. I originally was thinking of placing the amp in the compartment with the battery. Speaking of which, do you happen to run with two batteries or is one enough to support your music needs? I have no intention on mounting tower cans.

jdaugherty5
06-09-2005, 01:36 PM
There is not much room in the compartment in front of the driver. If you already have a heater in the compartment I would assume the Sub will not fit. Ours was a very tight fit, we did use a 12" though so if you use a smaller Sub say 10" sealed box it might fit. It may just be easier to put the equipment on the other side as planned.

I run two batteries, mainly for safeties sake. When the ignition key is in the off position the stereo and a few other accessories, like lights, are run off one battery. The second battery is isolated just incase we run the stereo battery down we can still start the engine. When the ignition key is in the run position both batteries are then connected together and connected to the alternator through two separate ground cables.

I would assume that a one battery setup would work we just plan on adding tower speakers at some point and another amp to drive them.

msutoad
06-09-2005, 10:47 PM
Nah, the sub will fit with the heater on the drivers side. I have a heater in there along with my sub and it fits fine. I do have the playpen option on my boat however.