PDA

View Full Version : 88 sunsport PCM 351 starter ?

Helomech
12-02-2011, 11:10 PM
I have a 88 Sunsport with a starter that does not engage the fly wheel but spins. Does anyone know the rotational direction of my engine. Also is this a common problem and if so does anyone have a fix?

I believe my boat has had the floor and possibly the stringers replaced but not sure. Is there a tell tale sign to prove my suspicion. I know supra warrantied some of these floor and stringers with drainage added. My boat has two cut outs at the inboard stringers at the transom into the bilge. Is this stock or a mod. I have read that originally the is no drainage on original design. thanks for the help.

Supra-in-steamboat
12-03-2011, 11:41 AM
First off, welcome to the board. Sounds like your starter has some internal issues. They can be tested once you pull it off, but it sounds as if you either need a rebuild or replacement marine starter. Simple DIY project. Not very expensive either. As for the rotation, there is a plate on the motor with some numbers and info, most likely in the back. Post a pic of the plate. Assuming the boat has the correct prop on it, it will be stamped LH or RH. The holes in the stringers could be exploritory, previous owner drilling holes to let water out or test stringer integrity, or maybe some custom drian work. If you can sneak a camera in there, snap a picture and post that too. Good luck.

Helomech
12-03-2011, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the help will check it out. I will post some pics of the stringers. Do you have a source for the starter parts? Again thanks a lot and I'm sure I will posting more ?'s.

Supra-in-steamboat
12-11-2011, 10:32 AM
skidim.com

OUI
12-13-2011, 12:46 PM
It's the Bendix Spring that's broken on your starter. Easy fix and inexpensive even if you have a shop do it for you.