PDA

View Full Version : Urgent!!! 2003 delamination ??

DAFF
12-09-2011, 07:51 PM
Found a deal on a Launch 2003 with delamination issues in the hull. Yet to go see the boat but wondering on what to look for..... What is the typicial problem and repair with this problem. Is it a cap removal fix??

michael hunter
12-09-2011, 10:13 PM
Not sure what you are talking about . Is it the outer hull or floor ? What do consider delamination? Any pics?

DAFF
12-10-2011, 01:36 AM
Not sure of the dammage. Going to view the boat in the AM. Will post more info as soon as I get it....

DAFF
12-10-2011, 05:28 PM
Turns out the hull has been damaged in the past. Rutter op torn off and fixed poorly. Also has a 2" inspection hole drilled into the bottom of hull exposing the foam. Owner said a boat repair shop did this to inspect a soft area in the hull. Has 360 hrs on the hull and 25 on the new engine. All in all I think the boat can be fixed. But I am still in wondering about the excessive flex on the bottom side of the hull.

The bottom shows little to no stress cracks, so what is causing the excessive flex.

86 century
12-10-2011, 08:45 PM
There is a fellow on the iboats forums goes by the handle oops a master glass man with a shop in canada somewhere.
If you can get some pics I will pm him to take a look he has rebuilt just about ever type of hull.

DAFF
12-14-2011, 02:50 AM
I think I might pull the trigger on this one. So that would be #3...... Will have to sell the twins in the spring but will have a nice 03 launch to work with. Are the SS and the launch very comparable? The hulls are almost exact..... Will I regret letting the old SS go in comparison?? I do like the composite thing even though this 03 still will need some love. Sitting on the fence ......

Salty87
12-14-2011, 11:20 AM
i'm not exactly sure how the new hulls are built. is it possible for the stringers to delaminate from the hull bottom? even if they did, i'd expect the bottom to be fairly thick and the shape should help it resist flexing. maybe the layup of the hull itself has separated allowing that section to be weak.

how much foam was removed? lets see those pics!!

was this boat salvaged? ripped off the rudder and new engine.

WakeSurfCanada
12-14-2011, 12:18 PM
I assume this is the one your talking about DAFF?

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-watercraft-powerboats-motorboats-2003-SUPRA-21-FT-LAUNCH-W0QQAdIdZ337155130

Saw this as well, if I was in a position to upgrade I would be all over this in a second. With all my gained knowledge from my rebuild, I would think repair on something like this wouldn't be to bad. Some epoxy, maybe some matte and a little bit of gel work and you will have yourself a sweet boat!

docdrs
12-14-2011, 12:54 PM
There was another posting about delamination of a hull on here. I couldn't find it but it was severe. I'm going down to chatham this weekend , maybe i'll go take a look

DAFF
12-14-2011, 01:27 PM
Going tomorow with a fibre optic camera to have a good look into the stringer delamination problem. There is 2" hole drilled into the bottom side of the hull in line with the secondary stringers. More than likely the boat will need the cap to be pulled if so then it might not be such a great deal. The add above is the boat in question so what do you think??

I was alittle shy in posting too much info for it seems to be a great deal but the people selling the boat own a very large dealership and it was a sale gone south. They purchased the boat in NY as a repo with a bad winterized engine (cracked block). They fixed up the boat drove it for a season and sold it to a local individual which in turn retuned the problematic boat. It has been sitting for 24 months now and time / neglect is taking it toll.

Other issues include the fabric is tearing/cracked on the sun deck. The blue on the side is chemicially burned and might not be repairable too. So what to do??? All in all my 86 Sunsport is a all around better boat but lacks the newer style of the Launch. Finally after all is said and done I might have more into the Launch than if I was to buy a allready mint one.

Any one intrested in the 86 Sunsport ?? I can make someone have a great present to open Christmas morning !!! Santa might even deliver!!

Jetlink
12-14-2011, 01:27 PM
There was another posting about delamination of a hull on here. I couldn't find it but it was severe. I'm going down to chatham this weekend , maybe i'll go take a lookI believe the post you are referring to was an individual who purchased a boat used and the warranty paperwork got all messed up or not filed at all and he expected Supra to honor the warranty even though there was an issue with it. From what I recall, that thread was more about avoiding Skier's Choice and going with another manufacturer than it was about dealing with a delaminated hull issue.

Ptownkid
12-18-2011, 01:23 PM
So...did anyone check this out?

mapleleaf
12-18-2011, 05:36 PM
Kinda amazed I ignored this thread for so long....Daff, what are your plans with this thing?? Looks like as of today it's still for sale.....This def seems like an interesting purchase.....for some one!!!!

DAFF
12-18-2011, 06:18 PM
Have been stressing about this one. Love the boat and its potential but am leary that I am not getting the whole picture from the seller. With Santa just around the corner I have been kinda worried of spending that much cash. Actually have a few people interested in the Sunsport but no cash in hand. If the SS sells then it will be a done deal.I love Supras but owning three is somewhat crazy, but I will buy anything to make $|$ in the future.

W

docdrs
12-18-2011, 07:04 PM
OOPS, I totally forgot about this. Just got back from Wallaceburg...took back roads so missed Tilbury. Will have another chance I'm sure in a week or so

mapleleaf
12-18-2011, 08:30 PM
Funny that I wrote up a truck deal on friday and am now somehow hoping you dont buy this boat Daff, so I can? Can some one please remind me that there are plenty of other fish.......

Ptownkid
12-18-2011, 10:52 PM
There are plenty of other fish that don't require a complicated repair.
Still tempting though...haha

DAFF
12-24-2011, 03:33 AM
How is Santa going to fit this down my chimney???

Turns out to be not as bad as described. Still needs some love but not a cap off. Cushion repair and odds and ends, plus the radio is missing the face plate. All in all I am at ease and placed a deposit on the boat. Still want to do a compression test on the engine and hear it run.