PDA

View Full Version : '87 Comp tS6m (project boat) needs new home (San Jose, CA)

barrey
12-12-2011, 04:55 AM
Well, it really sucks to have to write this, but my old friend ('87 Comp) needs some major work and I have finally figured out that I have no time or a location to perform this, so in the interests of preserving my sanity (not to mention my marriage) I need to find it a new home.

If it's not sold by the end of this week (12-17), I'll donate it to a charity and take the tax deduction.

I am the first (and only) owner, and have had a LOT of fun with this boat, so I'd really prefer to sell it to someone who wants to restore it.

MAJOR ISSUES OF NOTE:
Floor was soft on driver's side, looked into it about 4 years ago and found foam was wet, and some wood rotten, but the stringers appeared ok from what I could see.
I opened up much of the floor on the driver's side and got rid of a lot of the old foam, but there is still some there. Water in that side doesn't appear to have a drain path.
Was planning to pop the top and replace the floor and/or stringers if needed, but had to move to a new house with no room for the boat.
For the last 3.5 years, it's been stored outside behind a friend's house up near Clear Lake. Cover was torn to hell and the tarp I put over that was also destroyed.
It's been stored outdoors for most of its' life.

THE SPECS:
597 hours.
Maroon and Cream gelcoat.
Gray upholstery, not the original, I think it's probably 10-15 years old, doesn't appear to be in bad shape.
PCM 351 with the electronic ignition upgrade and an Edelbrock Marine Carb. Last run was approx 4 years ago.
Bimini top (maroon Sunbrella) in pretty good condition, The Bimini has been garage-stored for about 5 years.
An extra set of dashboard panels for this boat, as well as some extra speedo hardware.
Have all of the pieces and parts which were removed during disassembly (Seat hardware, floor pan, vents, etc). Carpet is mostly removed but was saved for use as a pattern.
Sweetwater single-axle trailer, maroon color, in pretty decent shape, although the surge brakes don't appear to work at the moment.
Tires were new 3.5 years ago, still look great, they were covered for some of the time stored, both tires and trailer just made a 200 mile trip to get back to the Bay Area, without any issues.
Tires have approx 400 miles on them.

Due to my time issues, I have detailed in this email most of what I know about this boat.

THIS WILL BE A MAJOR PROJECT, EVEN IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

Please email me with any REASONABLE offers. I'd like to see $2,000 for the whole thing. You will need to pick it up in San Jose. Just need a hitch (2" Ball) and you're good to go.
I do have the actual legal titles for both the boat and trailer. The trailer has PTI (permanent trailer identification) registration. Trailer lights are working.

(email removed) is the best way to reach me, or you can PM via this board.

Thanks,
Barrey

michael hunter
12-12-2011, 10:28 AM
Sorry but it sounds like a $500 boat . Its going to need 5k plus to restore it providing drive train is OK.

lively
12-12-2011, 01:14 PM
Agreed with hunter bud , I would list for 1k and see who bites at it .. If the motor was never winterized I could only imagine what the crank Journals and heads look like .. Good luck on the sell !! And I think u prop would get more if you parted it out .. I'll take the wake plate and trans 500

barrey
12-12-2011, 04:03 PM
lively -
If you were local, and I had time to part it out, I would probably go for that. If I end up parting it, I'll contact you on that.

As to value, since I only have a week to get it gone, I will definitely be listening to offers if they are made, and if not it will go a charity for a good cause.
(San Francisco Giants "Junior Giants" baseball programs for kids - mostly poor and "under-served" kids, gets them into a sport and off the streets)

FYI - I'm not offended by anyone's guess as to its worth.

Took another look at the interior today, and the seats, upholstery and doghouse all look pretty decent.
Wil post some pictures tonight if I am able. Really quite upset that I can't keep it, you know.
In a perfect world I would send it to the factory and have them rebuild it with NO WOOD, but since it's not really a family-type boat, its use would be pretty limited, so I really can't justify the expense...

Thanks,
Barrey

lively
12-12-2011, 07:32 PM
Yeah let me know !

barrey
12-14-2011, 03:19 PM
Here are a few pictures I just took:

I have the pieces and parts to the Supertrapps.

One really bad stringer:

Only one side (driver's) has been opened up for inspection, and the other side actually seems pretty solid.
On the driver's side, the only openings are the one where I removed the driver's floor pan, and the one I cut at the back of the floor to check the original soft spot.

-Barrey

bens250ex
12-22-2011, 01:13 AM
Did you end up donating the boat?

barrey
12-31-2011, 08:05 PM
All -

Thanks for the replies.
Due to the phenomenal lack of interest in buying the boat, and my timeline, I ended up donating the boat to the San Francisco Giants Community Fund to support Junior Giants Baseball programs in the area.

I had a lot of fun with it over its lifetime, and will one day own another boat, quite possibly another Supra.
I'll remove my email address from the previous posts to prevent even more spam.

Happy Boating, and Happy New Year!

- Barrey