PDA

View Full Version : Any Suggestions for Used Tow Vehicle

SupraTamu
12-21-2011, 10:03 AM
I am starting to look for a used four wheel drive SUV or Pickup to use as a daily driver and for towing my 2007 24' Gravity Games Edition Launch. I currently have a 2007 GMC Yukon Denali but the miles are adding up and looking for a replacement. I only tow a few miles round trip and maybe a couple of trips each summer to another lake a couple of hundred miles away. Any price suggestions as well. Would consider new if any great deals but hate to buy something new unless it is a boat of course.

SupraTamu
12-21-2011, 10:07 AM
Sorry about that it is actually a 2008 boat not 2007. Just wanting to make sure the vehicle has the towing capcity.

KG's Supra24
12-21-2011, 11:06 AM
I had the older body style Denali (04) and got rid of it bc of mileage. I ended up getting a diesel but I tow much further distances than it sounds like you do.

Any full size SUV or truck should pull the 24 fine. What you have is gonna be one of the best SUV's, though, with the 6.2 and the airbags. Are you wanting bigger, smaller, etc?

wotan2525
12-21-2011, 11:38 AM
I am starting to look for a used four wheel drive SUV or Pickup to use as a daily driver and for towing my 2007 24' Gravity Games Edition Launch. I currently have a 2007 GMC Yukon Denali but the miles are adding up and looking for a replacement. I only tow a few miles round trip and maybe a couple of trips each summer to another lake a couple of hundred miles away. Any price suggestions as well. Would consider new if any great deals but hate to buy something new unless it is a boat of course.

I'd look at the new F-150s with the ecoboost. Good MPG as a daily driver and can tow a house. That's if you're convinced that you need a truck that can do both.

I spend my money on my daily driver and have a $400 tow vehicle to tow 2-miles (round-trip) to the launch. It's not pretty but it gets the job done!

Salty87
12-21-2011, 12:14 PM
i can't find the story now but nobody was buying SUV's in 2008 when things were going to hell. bottomline...there are very few used 3 yr old SUV's but there are buyers looking for them. you might get a nice deal out of this.

Jetlink
12-22-2011, 02:35 AM
I will be looking for a better tow vehicle soon as well. I like the interior space that a Yukon XL or Suburban have, but I prefer to find a nice 3/4 ton with the Dirtymax engine in it because gas gets stupid crazy in the summer here, it cost me less to fill up my boat than the tow vehicle this past summer. I have also entertained the idea of finding a good donor vehicle and grabbing the duramax out of it and swapping it into a suburban or yukon XL. Anybody think I am way crazy with that line of thinking?

DAFF
12-22-2011, 02:42 AM
Find a rolled 2500/3500 truck and a flooded Tahoe/Sub. Put the body on the Dmax frame, change over the wiring and its done.

Salty87
12-22-2011, 10:27 AM
I will be looking for a better tow vehicle soon as well. I like the interior space that a Yukon XL or Suburban have, but I prefer to find a nice 3/4 ton with the Dirtymax engine in it because gas gets stupid crazy in the summer here, it cost me less to fill up my boat than the tow vehicle this past summer. I have also entertained the idea of finding a good donor vehicle and grabbing the duramax out of it and swapping it into a suburban or yukon XL. Anybody think I am way crazy with that line of thinking?

do it! this one looks incredible...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCmONI_sanE&feature=related

KG's Supra24
12-22-2011, 11:05 AM
Anybody think I am way crazy with that line of thinking?

No way!! It's what I would have bought if it were an option.

bens250ex
12-22-2011, 03:59 PM
I second the f150 ecoboost, will haul it no problem and get good mpg for a daily driver.

Jetlink
12-23-2011, 01:00 AM
I hear you on that, I tow with either a Lexus RX350 for short trips close to town or a GX470 for longer haul trips. With the 470, I am lucky to average 16-18 highway without towing anything and I drop down to 10-12 when towing. I have access to tons of junked autos as one of my customers runs an auto yard. We have built all sorts of vehicles and this kind of a set up would be ideal for me I think. He has a Yukon Denali XL right now and I was thinking of just picking the body up off the frame and dropping it on to a 3/4 ton frame with the duramax on it. Seems too simple to be that easy though.

Blackntan90
12-23-2011, 09:06 AM
I have to say I love my 3/4 ton Suburban- I got it from the Secret Service at auction with 71k on it. They took all the strobes out, but they did leave the switches and wiring! It tows great, but lousy mileage-10 to12 mpg all the time- so my wife drives it to work(1 mile commute) and I am stuck with the Subaru. But just like Elwood said, Cop engine, Cop tires, Cop brakes....I love that 6.0!

bluebrapper14
12-28-2011, 02:38 AM
There are so many options, its all according to what you want/need. My main dd is a jeep wrangler jk, with a 6 speed standard, and its perfect for me.. tows my comp well, even on long/hilly trips. although it doesnt quite stop on a dime ha.. But its a fun ride, nothing better than loading up with some friends/family, putting the top down and heading to the lake... Your boat obviously ways alot more, but for short distances it wouldnt be a problem. For longer trips we'll use my dads 05 tundra crew cab.. Its got 4.7l, doesnt even know the boat is behind there. For you this truck might be a good option.. They can be found for good deals since the newer generation tundras have been introduced. my dads rides like a dream, tows great, has plenty of room for everyone, and they last for forever. Its got 204,000 miles, never done anything to it besides changed the plugs once and replaced the timing belt just as a precaution. As for mileage, my jeep gets about 12-13, the tundra gets a little better. Sure, a diesel would pull like theres no tomorrow, and the mileage would be a little better, but for the amount it would cost to upgrade i could fuel for my boat/tow vehicle i have for a loong time lol