PDA

View Full Version : perfect pass!

jsandy
12-27-2011, 01:17 AM
finally done with college and have a little money to burn! so has anyone bought perfect pass system and installed it? where did you buy it and how much?

cadunkle
12-31-2011, 07:32 PM
I got the Wakeboard Pro version last year. Got it from Ian at onlyinboards.com, IIRC is was around $900-$950. I went with the Wakeboard Pro over the GPS for two reasons. Most importantly I ride on a tidal river about 95% of the time. Current typically ranged from 0-6 MPH either direction and of course is constantly changing since it's tidal, and sometimes current can be a few MPH faster. The areas to ride are also typically short so you only get a minute or two each direction and then turn around and the current's affect on the boat/wake is opposite. The second reason I went Wakeboard Pro is the paddlewheel gives you a water temperature reading. I typically start early and ride late, so sadistically perhaps, I like to know exactly how unpleasant it'll be when I get in.

I'm pleased with the Wakeboard Pro system. It holds speed well, varying less than .5 MPH either way. The most weight I've run is 1350 lbs and I haven't had to mess with anything to work well. If it bothered me I could probably eliminate the little drift it has.

I installed the paddlewheel on the port side approx under the alternator about 6" or 10" off center of keel. I forget which, but I recall 6" and 10" being my measurements. Not sure if it was 6" back from the drain plug and 10" to port or vice versa. Drilling the hoel was simple and easy. I made measurements off the drain plug and quadruple checked before drilling. I drilled a small pilot hole first to ensure I was in the right spot with appropriate clearance in all directions (including up, towards the engine). Though this is slightly back of where PP says to install the paddlewheel in a direct drive.

I am not 100% satisfied with it. The paddlewheel is offset to port. When making a turnaround to port it holds speed dead on and smooth. When making a turnaround to starboard the paddlewheel comes out of the water and if you don't back off the throttle through the turn it will whip your rider hard. Knowing what I know now I would have installed the paddlewheel either a few inches in front of the raw water pickup or in the same location but completely opposite, on the starboard side. I believe this would keep it in solid contact with water at all times. The sections of river I typically ride are somewhat narrow so turnarounds are sharp. On wider turns it does not want to go WOT on starboard turn. FWIW my boat is a Saltare, to give you an idea of positioning and whatnot.

Overall this has been the best upgrade I've done to my boat. Worth every penny. If you're considering it, do it. If you don't always have a pro driver, just do it. Makes people less intimidated to drive the boat and they can focus attention ahead, which is important where I ride since there is a LOT of debris that'll take out a prop, driveshaft, or punch a hole in the hull. Also not ehtere is a system similar to PP that does the same thing, with a paddlewheel, computer, and different style throttle controls that mount on the engine/carb. I forget what they're called but they are a few hundred dollars cheaper. I bought my PP a month before tehy released their system but I would have bought theirs if it was available as the end result should be the same. I want to say it's "Ride Steady".

tomelenbaas
01-03-2012, 08:45 PM
I added Perfect Pass to my '88 Mariah in the Spring of '08. I went with the Star Gazer 3-event system since I occasionally will run through a slalom course. But most of my time on the water is open water skiing and wakeboarding/surfing, so if I had it to do over I'd stick with just the wake system. It makes it really easy to hold a steady speed, particularly for wake surfing and wake boarding. It also makes it really easy for less experienced drivers. Nothing is more frustrating when you're slalom skiing than having the speed surging up and down in the middle of a turn. I installed it myself without any problems in about a half-day, including the paddle wheel. (The new Star Gazers don't need the paddle wheel anymore.) It's been 3-1/2 years without a single problem. Don't even think twice about doing it. It's the best upgrade you can make.

iwakeboard
01-04-2012, 08:38 AM
Perfect Pass is really a God send, I definitely recommend it if you can afford it. I think it offers a better wakeboarding experience than spending your money on additional ballast or adding speakers to a tower because it gives you that constant, worry free pull. Going from an old runabout to a boat with Perfect Pass was like rediscovering wakeboarding. There was no having to explain to different drivers the different nuances and behaviors of the boat they would have to overcome to offer you a steady ride. Now I simply tell them, "when I'm ready, put the hammer down and when the boat gets to 18mph start to easy it back slowly till it beeps and it'll put it at speed, just keep a straight line." It never fails to impress anyone who has never been behind a speed-controlled boat, it's just a better experience. If you have the cash definitely go for it.

jsandy
01-04-2012, 09:18 AM
this was exactly the info i was looking for

jsandy
01-11-2012, 01:09 AM
Welp won an ebay bid for a perfect pas system minus the master module, so now just to decide between the gps or paddle wheel version.all I do is wakeboard

chrisk
01-11-2012, 05:36 PM
GPS, you'll feel good about putting the best possible system in your boat and it will improve the resale value if you ever decide to sell.

iwakeboard
01-16-2012, 08:30 AM
I've heard the GPS is a bit temperamental on rivers, fwiw.

KO21v
01-16-2012, 09:14 AM
I have also noticed the GPS is not as good with a current in the water. I prefer the Paddlewheel mostly(for short runs or with turns). The rpm setting at other times (3+mile long runs with no turns)