PDA

View Full Version : Trailer VIN location !!??? Help. SMP

lively
12-28-2011, 11:11 AM
Trying to get my trailer registered , but I can't find the Vin , it is currently registered as home made and I'm wondering if it looks manufactured but registered as home made , how could I explain to the tax office my
Deal , it has had some front iron cut off and looks like someone welded the bow support , so we know it has been altered at some point , I looked all over the place for some identification but got nothing ..

Where are yours ?

csuggs
12-28-2011, 11:15 AM
Usually the id is on the tongue, near the coupler. Sounds like yours may have been cut off by a previous owner.

lively
12-28-2011, 11:29 AM
http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z433/lively86/908c27c8.jpg right behind the tounge was what looked like a flat 1/4 x 4" flat iron that someone cut of using a torch , so if I can't find the numbers what else can I do ?

FULL-THROTTLE
12-28-2011, 12:40 PM
I have the exact same boat and trailer and the same problem, I have the old registration and it is registered as a homemade, I spoke to the registry of motor vehicles and: there is a form you get online and a police officer will come look at the trailer and documentation you have and confirm it's legit, take it to the RMV and they will assign you a vin for the trailer, then find a set of metal punches and put the VIN on the trailer permenantly.

It worked for me and the vin's permenant.

Best of luck.

Fran

Jetlink
12-28-2011, 01:16 PM
I believe that the VIN plate for my trailer is located on the left side of the trailer just aft of the tongue. My boat is in storage so I am unable to verify that for sure but I remember there being a metal plate that had it stamped there. I just went through what pictures I have of the boat on the trailer and I don't have any pics that show exactly where the plate is.

lively
12-28-2011, 02:18 PM
Thanks guys ! I talked to the tarrant county tax office and the lady said they could fix me up with a Vin just bring a picture and the Weight of the trailer and they could get it ..

Blackntan90
12-31-2011, 08:27 AM
lively, on my circa 1990 SMP the VIN WAS printed on a sticker that was on the left side of the tongue. When I bought the boat/trailer it was no longer visible, just a blank white sticker! So we went with the P/O registration card that had the VIN on it, and like FULL THROTTLE said , we permanently affixed it with a number/letter punch set.