PDA

View Full Version : Motor Mounting alternatives

FULL-THROTTLE
12-30-2011, 12:31 PM
I am prepping for a full stringer replacement and I am looking for alternatives to wood screws into the wooden motor mounts. I am thinking of a threaded insert with washers welded to the sides then epoxying this into the wooden mount???? The washers would help keep the insert from spinning.

What are some other techniques people have tried? Good and bad

Any feedback is welcome.

Thanks,

Fran

Okie Boarder
12-30-2011, 01:52 PM
What is your concern with the wood lag screws?

FULL-THROTTLE
12-30-2011, 03:50 PM
Big vibrating engine and wood screw don't seem to be a good mix, I would prefer to change to a bolt and nut??

Okie Boarder
12-30-2011, 05:31 PM
I see. Well, they have worked well on most boats for years. I know Nautique did aluminum cradles the motor mounts connected to, but the cradle was still lag screwed into the stringers. With 2-3 lag screws per mount, especially with some 5200 on them, I doubt it is much to worry about.

bens250ex
12-31-2011, 01:29 AM
i am going to use a through bolt set up on mine (except for the top they will still be lags)

cadunkle
12-31-2011, 06:53 PM
Off shore mounts or similar. Make plates for inside and outside the stringers and through bolt them with epoxy/sealant through the holes to keep things dry. Use nylocks and loctite. The plates on each side spread the load and add clamping force. Bolt your engine to a bracket off the inner plate. Stringer placement and width can be an issue but I'd be looking at entirely different motor mounts for that portion, things designed for go-fasts or jet boats. Would be a good upgrade, though not entirely necessary unless you're adding a fair amount of power and doing straight arm launches all the time.

FULL-THROTTLE
01-03-2012, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the input, I hope to add to the longevity of the motor mounts. I will take plenty of pics.

Fran

jet
01-25-2012, 07:24 PM
Thats a good idea for the side mounts. Hmm...

beast 496
02-01-2012, 11:47 AM
You can glass in aluminum plates, basically1/2" aluminum plates utop the stringers, these are then glassed over. Remember to adjust for the height differance. Then, drill through glass and aluminum and helicoil the aluminum for a fine thread mounting bolt. This was how the early Mastercrafts were structured, they still might be. Al