PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Tire Install

Gregmacdog
12-30-2011, 08:31 PM
It was easy to find Trailer Tires, Goodyear at Walmart and Towmaster at Costco, So I got the boat out of the garage and went to Costco for the installation, and found out that they won't install on a trailer. I would have to bring the tires in loose and they would do the mounting. I checked at Walmart and they also said the same thing.
I went to Discount Tire and purchased Carlisle Trailer Tires and they mounted and balanced and installed them right then and there, no problem.
Not complaining, just surprised.

TitanTn
12-31-2011, 10:11 AM
I ran into the same thing when I had to buy some tires for my travel trailer on a trip. I think I took it a little harder than you as I DID some complaining. The Walmart I was at had TWO semi truck sized pull-through bays in addition to 10 cars bays. I asked why did they have the huge bays if they only worked on cars and trucks. They didn't have a good answer. They just refused to work on trailers. I wish I could have left them standing there, but they were the only ones in a 60 mile radius with the tires. I bought the tires and went across the street to a Big 10 tire store and they put them on for me. Of course they didn't have a bay big enough, so they just brought their tools outside to jack up the trailer and do the work. I'm still a little frustrated and baffled by it.

Gregmacdog
12-31-2011, 12:33 PM
Walmart Tires Center said that the trailer had to be in their bay for the work, but it can't be backed in as the propeller guard would hit their lift. Also all work had to be on their camera's.
Costco said that they didn't have the proper torque wrench for the lug nuts.
No one said anything about these issues when I was shopping tires the week before.
All the way around all of this,,,,,Discount Tire was the better choice, with warrantee and service for 3 years is the better buy, let alone was the cheapest price by far.

86 century
12-31-2011, 01:12 PM
It all hast to do with insurance as bad as that sounds. Most of the people changing tires at those places need help dressing themselfs so you are better off.
The firestone I worked at had the same policys witch we ignored for the most part.

ditchsnake
12-31-2011, 01:15 PM
Good choice on the carlisle and discount. I had the marathons and kept having belt issues. They warrenteed them and replaced them with the carlisle. They said they have much stronger sidewalls. Only charged for new certs. Great place to do buisness