PDA

View Full Version : Alot of water of in bilge

hanski
06-12-2005, 10:30 PM
We need to run the bilge every 15-20min. When we run the bilge it runs for 1-1 1/2 min, seems like alot of water. It seems to fill up faster when we are running vs. when we are sitting, however it still collects alot when we are sitting. Any suggestions?

DKJBama92Mariah
06-12-2005, 11:43 PM
Check your driveshaft packing nut. There should be between 5-6 drips of water from it per minute. Any more and the nut needs to be tightened. Mine actually came all the way off one time a few years ago. Needless to say, it leaked a substantial amount to say the least. If your packing nut is fine, then check all the hoses and connections on the engine and exhaust cooling system while the engine is runnning to make sure you dont have any leaks from them. Try these and get back to us if you still have problems. Good luck.

Cheers,
DKJ

Salty87
06-14-2005, 12:53 PM
sounds alot like my boat...but let's hope not. i have a leak in the driver side exhaust. it trickles in at rest and, judging by the amount of water, flows in when at speed.

i can see the water run down the stringer into the bilge.

you might need to have a friend drive while you look at the engine. it's also possible that your rudder or even your plug is leaking. and, although it sounds like you've got more water, rub rails can leak too.

crnsuperduty
06-21-2005, 10:34 AM
Mine had both of those problems. I have an 85 comp. The prop packing was leaking when I bought it. I fixed that (very easy). Also, my rubrail was leaking when I had people in the boat and was at partial throttle. I put some nylon rope under the rail, then put a silicone bead to fill the area. After drying for a few weeks, it is now water tight. I have one more leak to find, but I don't know where that one is. I'm afraid its one of my mufflers. Does anyone know if those old comps with supertraps have mufflers?? I know none of my engine fittings are leaking. I don't get any water when I run a fake lake in my driveway. (seems like that eliminates the mufflers too huh?)

DKJBama92Mariah
06-21-2005, 11:03 AM
crn,

Just b/c your exhaust doesnt leak with a fakealake doesnt mean you dont have a leak in the exhaust. When your run the boat on terra firma off a hose, there is not positive water pressure in the lower part of the exhaust because it just runs out of the pipes like a waterfall. But when you have the boat in the water, the last parts of the exhaust system are under the waterline, thus creating positive pressure inside the exhaust system.

Water, like any liquid or gas will move from an area of high pressure ot an area of low pressure through the path of least resistance. When you are out of the water with a fake-a-lake, the pressure in the lower exhaust system is essentially the same as the atmospheric pressure, and thus, only a large leak will show its face on dry land.

Conversely, when the boat is in the water, parts of the exhaust system are below water level. Although the exhaust is only 8-10" below the waterline, the water will travel from an area of high pressure (inside the pipes 10" underwater) to the only area of low pressure available (the atmosphere) which would just happen to be a hole in your exhaust.

You seem to have pretty much nailed down your leak. So long as the plug is in the boat, the rudder and driveshaft stuffing boxes are not leaking, and there is no leakage from the cooling system, there is no other place the water could come from besides the exhaust or a big hole in the bottom of the boat.

Good luck pluggin the leaks.

Cheers,
DKJ

crnsuperduty
06-21-2005, 04:39 PM
Yea, I thought about all of that, but what I still don't know is if there are "mufflers" and supertraps, or if its just pipe connecting the two. Plus, whatever is down there, is completely covered by the foam under the floor. I had the floor out last summer, and couldn't find that leak. It's very manageable, since its only when running, so I'm going to worry about it after the 4th weekend.

chilimac
06-23-2005, 12:48 PM
I had the same problem on my boat.The water came in faster when I drove the boat. What I found out was the fitting on the front ballast came off and water started coming in. Check that fitting out and maybe thats it.Hope that helps

crnsuperduty
06-23-2005, 04:08 PM
I don't have any ballasts, but thanks for the idea.