PDA

View Full Version : 88 saltare carb?

wotan2525
06-13-2005, 02:24 AM
somewhere along the lifetime of my boat the carb was replaced with an edelbrock. The guy I purchased it from theorized that the smalled (650?) carb was put on to help with gas-usage. I'm doing some engine work and thinking of replacing the carb with something that will help it run the way it should. Right now my top speed is about 34, any faster and it just runs terribly.

Rob

OUI
06-13-2005, 11:36 AM
Sounds like your carb needs to be rebuilt - if you're looking for an original go to skidim.com and get a Holley 4160

Salty87
06-13-2005, 11:48 AM
i recently took my holley off and put a new edelbrock on, it runs great. the edelbrock's aren't nearly as complicated or as expensive. you might want to consider that. i have an 87 saltare and went with the edelbrock 1410 from jeg's.

i've been running with this carb for a few months and haven't had any problems or issues and am seeing the same power. i haven't run the numbers to see if i'm getting any more out of a tank than before with the holley.

06-13-2005, 12:38 PM
How does do your saltares run, guys?

Mine has an acme 541 and runs at a perfect wakeboard speed (22-23), but the top-end is really disappointing. 34 is about tops before the engine gets really icky sounding.

06-13-2005, 12:39 PM
Also.... is a marine carb necessary? It would be much easier to find a regular edelbrock carb for a 454 then have to go buy a marine carb.

Rob

wotan2525
06-13-2005, 12:49 PM
My posts as guest aren't showing up for me..... sorry if you guys are seeing these posts a few times now.

Posted by
Also.... is a marine carb necessary? It would be much easier to find a regular edelbrock carb for a 454 then have to go buy a marine carb.

Rob
Posted by
How does do your saltares run, guys?

Mine has an acme 541 and runs at a perfect wakeboard speed (22-23), but the top-end is really disappointing. 34 is about tops before the engine gets really icky sounding.

wotan2525
06-13-2005, 02:55 PM
I'll just keep adding some info in here.... just checked out the carb and it actually is the Edelbrock 1410 -- is this the best carb for this engine?

Salty, you have any pictures of the way that yours is mounted -- mine has an adapter plate and it just looks wrong. Do these carbs need adjustment? The thing just runs awful at WOT.

Sorry about the picture quality -- looks like my camera phone lens is pretty dirty.

Robhttp://img230.echo.cx/img230/2483/7479907494933009gr.jpg

DKJBama92Mariah
06-13-2005, 04:00 PM
Rob,

You MUST use a carb built for marine use. They are specifically designed and tuned for the marine environment. The best way to tell is by looking at the overflow tubes on you float bowls (i'm assuming that edelbrocks are essentially the same as holley's in this respect). On a marine carb, the overflow tubes will go up from the float bowls and turn 180 degrees to form a "U" thus pouring any bowl overflow down the throat of the carb instead of spilling on top of your intake manifold. See the pics of my rebuilt holley at this link for an illustration. http://www.supraboats.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=983

If you run an autmotive carb, you run the serious risk of a fire if your bowls overflow and spill onto the engine, where in a marine carb they will just flow into the motor and flood it. Better to have an engine stall on you than to create you own personal Hiroshima on the local lake. Also, if your boat does burn, and you have ANY non-marine approved parts on it, if your insurance company finds out about it, they will likely deny your claim. Don't believe me, read your policy or ask you agent.

I've heard alot of talk about the edelbrock, both good and bad. My theory is, PCM put Holley carbs on their motors for a reason... they thought they would give the best performance. I'm as much of a backyard hack mechanic as the next guy, but i know to defer to the judgment of the engine builder when i know that i would be just guessing. As you can see in the link above, i didnt even replace my ailing carb with a Holley 4160. Mine came with a 4010, which for my application is not manufactured anymore. So i just got it remanufactured by Holley. This way I KNEW that my motor would run the way PCM intended it to without any doubt.

BTW, in regards to my reman'd carb, the new carb plus new plugs, wires, and fuel filter made my boat run almost better than new. Im not completely sure b/c i was only 12 years old when we bought her. ('92 Mariah 21') WOT gets me to 48.5 MPH (speedo, not GPS indicated) at about 4450 RPM.

Good luck in your quest for better running.

Cheers,
DKJ

Salty87
06-14-2005, 01:07 PM
hi wotan,

here's my edelbrock, i did not have to make any adjustments other than idle.

http://www.wakeworld.com/cgi-bin/Discus4/board-profile.cgi?action=pict&file=28823.jpg

mine doesn't like to run wot too much. she'll get up and go but top end isn't more than 40 if that. i think i have the acme 541 too, whatever they recommended.

if you haven't tuned-up and checked timing, i'd give that a shot. your carb doesn't look too bad from the pic, any idea how old it is?

forgot to add...wotan, i've got an adaptor plate too. in fact, i had to drill an opening for PCV hose to attach to.

DKJ, if you look there aren't any J tubes on these edelbrocks. something about the way they're designed, you can change out metering rods without disconnecting them because the fuel won't leak. you would probably understand better than i if you read up on it.

06-14-2005, 11:27 PM
I was told when I bought it in september that the carb was only a year old. I'm having another problem with the valve-train, so hopefully whoever I find to take care of that will be able to tune-up or adjust the throttle. I've also ordered a fuel/water seperator -- mine was quiet old and this would probably help.

Rob

wotan2525
06-16-2005, 02:16 PM
So last night we took the headers and valve covers off. Discovered the cause of a "clicking" that has been in the engine lately -- it was a rocker-arm that was loose. The problem is that all of the rockers are adjusted to the exact same level, ie they all have the same amounts of thread showing. The one that is causing the clicking needs to be tightened down much further than the other ones -- does anyone know what would cause this? The pushrod seems fine, and the valves seem to be working. I'm going to run a compression test tonight. Also, does this engine have hydraulic lifters?

Rob

Posted by
I was told when I bought it in september that the carb was only a year old. I'm having another problem with the valve-train, so hopefully whoever I find to take care of that will be able to tune-up or adjust the throttle. I've also ordered a fuel/water seperator -- mine was quiet old and this would probably help.

Rob

Juice75
06-16-2005, 06:00 PM
I'm pretty sure you have hydraulic lifters. So the issue could be that the lifter collapsed. I had that happen to an old car I had once. I would suggest that if you have to replace one lifter, that you replace all of them. If one failed, another one might not be far behind. Better safe than sorry.

wotan2525
06-20-2005, 07:53 PM
It's worse then just collapsed, it's fawkin DESTROYED! Question is now do I replace the cam or just replaced the lifters and pushrods and hope it doesn't happen again?