PDA

View Full Version : Recovering my dash and steering panels

suprasam
01-16-2012, 11:14 AM
I am wanting to cover my panels sometime within the next week or so. The covering that is on them now is starting to look pretty bad. I dont want to pay someone....because I am 95% sure I could do this. I have recovered boat seats in the past, so I am looking here for pointers from someone who has done these in the past. Do I just unscrew the panel, disconnect each guage (tach, speed, temp, gas) then pull panel out and start to recover? Here is a picture of what is there now to give you an idea of what I am getting myself into. Thanks for the help.

mapleleaf
01-16-2012, 11:18 AM
I've never done a dash before, but i did do my seats. I def got better as time went on, first couple are a little rough. I found that my heat gun on its low setting was my best friend when shaping the vinyl.....

TitanTn
01-16-2012, 06:02 PM
I had mine recovered last winter. I removed the two dash pieces and took them to the shop. I think the total charge was $80 including the material. Not too bad. I didn't want to tackle multiple sharp angles. Just unscrew the panels, and then you can either disconnect the gauges, or remove the mounting hardware for the gauges and leave them connected.

Here is my dash after the upholstery work:

http://unumemarketing.com/boat/dash.jpg

http://unumemarketing.com/boat/dash_closeup.jpg

SuperSaltAir
01-16-2012, 08:15 PM
I have not done this but I watched my upholstery guy do it and it did not look hard but it did look frustrating. This is what he did. He first wrapped the panel with some kind of really thin foam. He said it was to cover all the imperfections, it was maybe 1/8'' thick and it was a very plastic like the stuff used for shipping and not the stuff used for seats. He used contact cement to glue it on then he overlapped all the seams and then he used a brand new razor blade to cut it and pretty much get perfect seams. He then steams the vinyl and starting from the center glues it down with contact cement and works out all the air bubbles. Once he gets to the end he stretches it out and folds it over the edge and glues it down. To go around curves just make slits in the material about 1/4 to 1/2 inch apart to relive the stress in the vinyl. It takes time and patience if you don't have a steamer leave leave the vinyl out in the sun or you might be able to use a big pot of steaming water, the warmer the material the easier to work with. Also if you can spray the contact cement it helps and only do small areas at a time don't just spray the whole thing.

bdumas35
01-16-2012, 08:29 PM
I did mine with 1/2 in. foam and vinyl. Before covering I rounded the sharp edges and glassed the wood with 4 oz. cloth and epoxy.
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w147/bdumas35/Saltare%20Project/IMGP0067.jpg
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w147/bdumas35/Saltare%20Project/IMGP0066.jpg
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w147/bdumas35/Saltare%20Project/IMGP0069.jpg

The panels unscrew and unplug real easy. It helps to label the harnesses.
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w147/bdumas35/Saltare%20Project/IMGP0064.jpg

suprasam
01-17-2012, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the ideas/help. I am sending over a picture to a local spot and going to have them price both pieces for me. I know I can do a majority of it, my only concerns would be the half circles, above the steering and below the tach trying to get it to stretch and not look like a crappy back woods job. Both jobs that you guys did and had done look great. I will let you know what they are willing to price it out for me. Thanks

suprasam
01-17-2012, 02:57 PM
The interior guy emailed me back, for the two panels using a Navy Carbon Marine vinyl is going to be a little under $100.00. I am taking the panels off this week and taking them over to him. Thanks for the help, I will post the before and after pictures.

Hagman
01-18-2012, 09:10 PM
I would recommend re gluing all of the joints , fill and sand all of the edges and seal the wood with some kind of sealer. Be for you give it to the upholstery guy. Here mine It cost Me about $100.00.

csuggs
01-19-2012, 09:22 AM
Bdumas35 -
Where did you get those sexy panel inserts? I had mine redone but we used new OEM inserts. These look good, but I don't use any of the idiot lights that are mounted to the panels - I would like to clean mine up like yours. Here's mine:

http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac71/csuggs/DSC02215a.jpg

suprasam
01-19-2012, 11:36 AM
Well....see what you did CSUGGS, now after looking at your picture....now I gotta buy a new steering wheel. I have never replaced one on a boat, please tell me they are not near the pain that replacing one in a car is. After I get my panels done....a new steering whee is going to be ordered.

TitanTn
01-19-2012, 12:14 PM
Yeah, I both love and hate it when Clint posts pics of his boat. Great stuff.

I pulled my wheel while doing my rebuild last winter and it wasn't that tough although it did require a gear puller. I can't remember exactly what tool I used, but I think I modified a gear puller in some way and it took a lot more pressure than I would have guessed.

csuggs
01-19-2012, 12:27 PM
I'm not trying to make any statements about my boat, so please don't try to make me feel bad! lol - I was just never crazy about the OEM panel because of the lights. I don't use the lights and I really don't care for non-functional stuff on my project. I suppose I could put black filler plugs in place of the lights. . . .

Steering wheel is simple, just a gear puller is needed like Titan said.

wspeedin
01-19-2012, 01:40 PM
can you install any steering wheel? or does it have to be a specific type?

TitanTn
01-19-2012, 02:33 PM
I'm not trying to make any statements about my boat, so please don't try to make me feel bad! lol

I certainly have never thought you were trying to make any statements, and didn't mean to come across that way (if you were even talking to me). I thoroughly enjoy pics of your boat and like I said earlier, I've been using pics of your motor as motivation for my engine clean-up project. I also used pics of your tower when I had my custom tower built (by the guys you recommended!).

suprasam
01-19-2012, 03:01 PM
Yah, i was just giving you a hard time as well.....didn't think you were posting to say "hey look at how perfect my boat is".......although when my wife notices the credit bill for a new steering wheel and covering, you can bet your ass I will be blaming you. She doesn't know you and has no way of talking to you.....so your my scape goat! HA, thanks for the pictures, always good to see others so I can get idea's on how to make mine look a little better one piece at a time!

bdumas35
01-19-2012, 07:43 PM
Bdumas35 -
Where did you get those sexy panel inserts? I had mine redone but we used new OEM inserts. These look good, but I don't use any of the idiot lights that are mounted to the panels - I would like to clean mine up like yours. Here's mine:

http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac71/csuggs/DSC02215a.jpg

csuggs
Your dash looks great. I made my panels. First made a template then routed the panels using 1/8 birch aircraft ply from a hobby shop and "Real Carbon Fiber Sheet" from E-Bay. I glassed the ply with 4 oz cloth before applying the carbon. The gauge holes were cut with a hole saw.

I still have the template if anyone ever wants to use it.

bdumas35
01-19-2012, 07:47 PM
Here's the template.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w147/bdumas35/Saltare%20Project/IMGP0065.jpg

csuggs
01-19-2012, 09:30 PM
Titan and Suprasam - sorry if I was out of line with my comment. Really, I can take some ribbin' from you guys and that's ok. Titan, your comments about my boat are always taken kindly - after all, who doesn't like a compliment. Others that read this may think that I'm trying to show-off something though, when really that's not the case. And there's plenty of wrong to be found on my boat - trust me! So no harm, no foul here - hopefully that's the case with you as well.
Bdumas - I like your inserts a lot, very sharp!

suprasam
01-19-2012, 10:09 PM
Csuggs, were all good. You have a great looking boat.....show it proud! I enjoy having a little fun and never mean to offend. I like to give a little jab, and def take them anytime, life is to short. Thanks guys!

Jetlink
01-20-2012, 12:09 AM
And there's plenty of wrong to be found on my boat - trust me

The only thing I find wrong with your boat is that it isn't in my driveway right now. :D

Hagman
01-20-2012, 12:14 AM
Csuggs
Where did you find the OEM panel inserts? I’ve tried to make new one out of brushed stainless but I haven’t been able to get the lettering & graphics to look wright. I think your dash looks grate, nice job. Is there a Supra something logo in the middle of your steering wheel? If so I want one. Hagman

csuggs
01-20-2012, 06:45 AM
Ben - thanks for the compliment! It has taken a lot of $ and some hard work, but it's been a labor of love. My wife refers to her as "the other woman"!
Hagman - the panels were "new old stock" that Jim at Viper Customs had laying around his shop. Same story with the Supra decal on the steering wheel. Maybe he could help you with that.
Thanks again for the compliments!

csuggs
01-23-2012, 10:38 AM
Hagman - I got the panels from Jim Jackson at Viper Customs (865-388-4096). I don't know if he would have any more or not, but it's worth a try.
Clint

Hagman
01-26-2012, 12:27 AM
Thanks Clint
Jim @ Vipers is helping me out . He said that he has customers form about 5 states . That most likely doesn’t count Oregon. Nice guy, remembered you. Did you know Vipers has your boat on Face book. I’d complain there’s only one picture. Jim has the panels custom made somewhere over there ,$160 bucks for the pare . If Jim can I’m hoping he can change the warning light aria graphics into heater control graphics. I unhooked the warning lights about 15 years ago . Are your new dash panels anodized brushed aluminum or powder coated stainless steal ? It’s hard to tell from the pictures. Ron

jet
01-26-2012, 01:55 PM
Im also interested in this upgrade. Yalls looks pretty simple to do however mine (89") looks tuffer to do. It has a padded foam finish with a gloss finish but It also had some in-lay areas so I just cant lay new material over it. Any ideas? anyone done a 89 or 90 model?? I also have already looked for carbon like fabrics locally and cant find anything. Where can I get some cool looking material? Silver carbon fiber or blk??

Hagman
01-27-2012, 11:33 AM
Morning Jet
Will you post a close up picture of your of your dash.

jet
01-28-2012, 02:08 PM
Hers the only one I have right now. You can see Its covered in a soft padded blk foam. But theres lots of difficult inlays and corners. Im not sure what I want t do?? I think Im going to re-fiberglass and build a updated custom dash?? Just thinking out loud?8691

Hagman
01-28-2012, 05:48 PM
Please post pictures of all of the dash. What are the switches to?

jet
01-28-2012, 08:47 PM
Dont have one and Its torn apart right now. Those switches go to my light bar.

suprasam
02-01-2012, 04:00 PM
OK....so I got a couple of quotes from local shops. The cost was roughly $100.00 from each shop, not all that bad in pricing. I went to a local fabric shop, and they had some Marine vinyl in the navy i was looking for. I was able to pick up a TON for 25.00 (on sale), so I am going to attempt to do this myself, I figure if I screw it up....I am out 25.00. I am going to try it this weekend and I will post the before and after pics when I am done. Although after looking and the lower panel, I think I have to take my freaking steering wheel off! CRAP! I dont think that is as easy as pulling 5 or 6 bolts right?

TitanTn
02-01-2012, 09:22 PM
That sounds like it's certainly worth the effort to try. Nothing really to lose! Of course we'll need to see pictures...

suprasam
02-13-2012, 08:13 PM
OK, well I am about 90% done. I am switching the switches to "rocker" switches just because I prefer the way they look. I am also switching out the wood they currently are on, for a black metal or plastic. I need to go and look around to see what I can find available. There are also two gauges that need to be replaced, the clock, and the depth finder. Neither are that critical....so I will get around to it, whenever(hopefully before season starts). I am satisfied overall I think, with the vinyl, the primer and paint I have about 35.00 into it. I also have plenty of navy vinyl leftover for any additional projects that might come up. Yes I need to clean up the gauge glass, but I will take a clean installed picture this weekend if the weather gets warmer. Anyway, let me know what you think.874487458746

TitanTn
02-13-2012, 08:48 PM
Looking good! I haven't seen the option of putting the gauges on one side and the switches on the other. Will you be able to fit all the gauges on that side once it's in the dash? I know mine was so tight as it was that I'm not sure I could pull that off even if I wanted to.

bmtsupra
02-13-2012, 11:32 PM
[QUOTE=bdumas35;67334]Here's the template.

@bdumas35...would it be possible for me to get a copy of this template? I'd like to take the template and CAD it up so I could have it cut out on a plasma table or water jet. If anyone else needed the template I could send them the .DWG file.

sybrmike
02-14-2012, 11:50 AM
Lookin' good... I too liked the switch (pun intended) to rockers and putting the gauges all together. I omitted the warning buzzer, so wanted them all together for quick scanability a-la race car layout. I found a $5 piece of textured black in the scrap bin of a local plastics distributor. The 1/4" thickness is max for the newer push-in style rockers for the clips to catch on the back side. Wiring looks intimidating at first, but it's not too bad once you dive in.

Original Dash

New Dash

Good luck & hope to see your final results soon.

wotan2525
02-14-2012, 06:20 PM
Lookin' good... I too liked the switch (pun intended) to rockers and putting the gauges all together. I omitted the warning buzzer, so wanted them all together for quick scanability a-la race car layout. I found a $5 piece of textured black in the scrap bin of a local plastics distributor. The 1/4" thickness is max for the newer push-in style rockers for the clips to catch on the back side. Wiring looks intimidating at first, but it's not too bad once you dive in.

Original Dash

New Dash

Good luck & hope to see your final results soon.

Ughh.... Looks like I've got a project for this spring. I'm TOTALLY intimidated by the wiring but I guess I don't have a choice after seeing that.

Did you pull everything out first, or build the panels and then wire them?

lively
02-14-2012, 08:51 PM
OK, well I am about 90% done. I am switching the switches to "rocker" switches just because I prefer the way they look. I am also switching out the wood they currently are on, for a black metal or plastic. I need to go and look around to see what I can find available. There are also two gauges that need to be replaced, the clock, and the depth finder. Neither are that critical....so I will get around to it, whenever(hopefully before season starts). I am satisfied overall I think, with the vinyl, the primer and paint I have about 35.00 into it. I also have plenty of navy vinyl leftover for any additional projects that might come up. Yes I need to clean up the gauge glass, but I will take a clean installed picture this weekend if the weather gets warmer. Anyway, let me know what you think.874487458746hey bud if those wrinkles dont bother you that much then leave it , but if you cut little slits that allows the fabric to relax a bit so you can make that curve

wspeedin
02-15-2012, 04:20 PM
Everybodies dashes look great!!! and this gives me motivation to attack mine on my 87 saltare. However, Im thinking that instead of covering it in vinyl I think I am going to pull the old nasty vinyl off of mine and lay new fiberglass over it and paint it to match the red on the outside of the boat. Any thoughts on this? Im also think that it would be really cool if I could somehow glass a raised Supra emblem in the part between the gauges and the windshield. Im not sure how well that part will work but I may jsut have to try.

suprasam
02-15-2012, 05:04 PM
I would love to see the fiberglass done, but I know i would probably end up glueing my damn hands to the freakin dash....my wife only lets me play with washable glue, so you know I would screwed trying something like fiberglass. When its done, definitly post the pictures! Good luck!

wspeedin
02-17-2012, 11:38 AM
sybrmike, I was wondering where you got thoswe rocker switches from? I havent seen any with "logos" on them like that.

sybrmike
02-17-2012, 07:28 PM
Suprasam - any pics of the new switch panel yet?

Wotan - I pulled it all out and started from scratch. However, I did reuse some multi-pin connectors so that the three panels were wired out of the dash & then wired the mating connectors in the boat. Now they're simply plug & play.

Wespeedin - the gauges and 5 switches came out of an 05 Moomba. I picked up the remaining switches off ebay & swapped out some of the switch plates covers (to better match the logo to their function) that I got from local Supra dealer. They're pretty standard Carling switches & have probably 50 different logo switch plates available. They simply pry off and pop on to the actual switch. Search the web for "Carling switch".

bdumas35
02-17-2012, 08:18 PM
[QUOTE=bdumas35;67334]Here's the template.

@bdumas35...would it be possible for me to get a copy of this template? I'd like to take the template and CAD it up so I could have it cut out on a plasma table or water jet. If anyone else needed the template I could send them the .DWG file.

Sure. PM me your contact info.

wspeedin
02-20-2012, 10:45 AM
If anybody is wanting to keep the stock look of the dash and your pieces are damaged than I have some for you. I am not using the removable dash inserts that the small gauges and switches mount to. Here is a picture of the two pieces I have. If you want them than they are all yours.

LEFT
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k483/wspeedin/IMAG0327.jpg

RIGHT
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k483/wspeedin/IMAG0328.jpg

I will only be using the gauges, ignition and maybe the four warning lights

TitanTn
02-20-2012, 10:51 AM
I'm interested in the inserts (and whatever you end up leaving attached to them). I'll drop you a PM.

wspeedin
02-22-2012, 01:15 PM
I found a source for the Carling V-Series Contura II Rocker switches. The ones I was specifically looking for were Red illuminated switches with emblems on them to specify what each switch did. This took me awhile to find these at a decent price, so for any of you who are looking for these here you go.
http://shop.newwiremarine.com/

I hope this helps and here is a picture of what their switches look like.
http://shop.newwiremarine.com/images/1322246807576-1349245186.jpeg

Jetlink
02-22-2012, 01:16 PM
I found a source for the Carling V-Series Contura II Rocker switches. The ones I was specifically looking for were Red illuminated switches with emblems on them to specify what each switch did. This took me awhile to find these at a decent price, so for any of you who are looking for these here you go.
http://shop.newwiremarine.com/

I hope this helps and here is a picture of what their switches look like.
http://shop.newwiremarine.com/images/1322246807576-1349245186.jpegOh man! I need to find that exact switch with the "Eject" inscription and wire it into the plane as a joke!

wspeedin
02-22-2012, 01:25 PM
Yeah Jet, I thought that was the funniest thing to see. Who ejects from the boat?

wotan2525
02-28-2012, 05:31 PM
What can you guys tell me about gauges? Does any mfg work or should I stick with one or the other? Starting to plan out my new dash and figured finding the right gauges were a logical first step.

sybrmike
02-28-2012, 06:48 PM
Any automotive style should work for all but the speedos. The marine specific ones might be more waterproof (?), but not sure there's any difference from the much cheaper sets from the same gauge mfg's for hot rod cars??? Kinda tough finding air/pitot speedos with a decent speed range for our boats (I upgraded to paddlewheel).

Jetlink
02-29-2012, 12:31 AM
Wotan, I upgraded all my gauges except the tach and the speedos when I redid the two panels. I'll throw up some before and after pics I have. I ended up going with guages from the big box marine store (West Marine) and I have no real complaints, I got a good deal at the time.

The first two pics are when I had everything back together with the new panels and switch breakers in. The last shot is after I changed over all the gauges. The first shot shows the difference between the old and the new. The new gauges just dropped right in, no extra work required. Hope that helps.

wspeedin
03-02-2012, 11:49 AM
Ok, so I have gotten everything for my new dash panels and will be putting it all together this weekend....hopefully :)
However, I had some questions for you guys who have worked with rocker style switches before. I am going to be putting both blower fans on one DPDT switch. The intent is that up will turn on the first blower and down will trun on the 2nd blower while being in the center position will be OFF. This goes the same for the bilge pumps. My question to you guys (since Im an electrical idiot) is how would you run the wire off the switch? or how do you set it up? Here is a picture of the actual DPDT switch.
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k483/wspeedin/IMAG0341.jpg

Thanks

Blackntan90
03-02-2012, 09:25 PM
I can get it figured out, but I need a diagram of the back of the switch- the connectors should be labeled if you look closely.

wspeedin
03-03-2012, 06:27 PM
Blackntan90, it came with a diagram which I think I understand but I will attach a picture of the diagram.
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k483/wspeedin/IMAG0343.jpg
If you can tell me where to put the wires would be great! like I said, I would like the top to be blower fan 1 and the bottom to run blower fan 2.
Thanks. :)

Also, on another note, here are the new dash inserts....I still need to repaint them and sand them to get the rough areas out, but this is how they look.
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k483/wspeedin/IMAG0345.jpg
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k483/wspeedin/IMAG0344.jpg

jet
03-03-2012, 06:45 PM
LOL. "Where theres a Will theres a way" lmao

Jetlink
03-03-2012, 07:36 PM
Hey Will, interesting orientation on those rocker switches. Just curious, did you try and lay them out on the vertical plane? Looks like it would have been tight for sure though. Where do you plan to put the "Eject" rocker switch too?

wspeedin
03-03-2012, 09:59 PM
Jet, you laugh but that's my story. I've been through alot of things that others couldn't imagine going through and that motto is what keeps me pushing....literally :)

Jetlink, I traced different designs out and this way seemed (to me) to be the "cleanest" scenario. Having them vertical I could not evenly space them out, it would of looked sloppy, IMO. I spent alot of time trying to decided what the best layout would be with trying to fit a PP, 5 gauges, 5 switches, a 12v source and the ignition, this seemed to be the cleanest looking. The "Eject" button will be hidden, lol, I can't have people knowing where the secret button is :)

Also, the "Nautique" on the PP gauge is being shipped back to PP for a new "Supra" face.

cole1
03-13-2012, 05:07 PM
When you guys put in these Rocker Switches are you getting rid of the breaker or using fuses or what?