PDA

View Full Version : Need some opinions Saltare vs Sunsport

defigh
01-22-2012, 12:57 PM
I have been lurking around here for a couple years and think I am almost ready to make my purchase. I have been around boats all my life (My dad is a boat addict), but want to make the jump to an older supra. I have found a couple and wanted to get some opinions as I am having a hard time deciding between the two.

The Specs:

'88 Saltare
- Original owner, 749 hrs
- boat has been covered and stored on lift for entire life
- Engine professionally maintained on annual basis
- Exterior professionally cleaned on annual basis
- Seats in good shape
- Original stringers, owner says floor is solid but there is a small soft spot by drivers seat
- No trailer
- Asking Price $5500

'87 Sunsport
- 900 hrs
- Great shape, stored out of water under cover
- Complete structural rebuild in 2008 ($8700 bill)
- great maintenance history
- Hydraulic boat lift included in purchase (~$2k value that I don't need)
- No trailer
-Asking price $9000

Here are a few pics.

My question is which one would you do an why? What would a used trailer run? Can the salt hold more people? We typically are out with at least 6 others...

I feel like the Slatare could go a few more years w/o a floor rebuild and I could do the job one winter. I'm looking for a good all around boat for family, freinds, skiing and wakeboarding. Love older boats and love the price compared to a $30k newer model.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

defigh
01-22-2012, 12:58 PM
Sunsport pic:

FULL-THROTTLE
01-22-2012, 01:21 PM
Howdy,
I personally like the saltare's look better, and it has a big block = HP, I would seriously look into a floor and stringer job, it is a crap load of work. For me I really like the idea of a boat that is 100% ready to go, and if you don't wand the boat lift you can sell it and get some $$ back. The sunsport is a great boat, I have an 86.

Best of luck

Okie Boarder
01-22-2012, 04:09 PM
The Saltare is definitely going to give you extra room for a bigger crew. That's a tough decision. I like the idea of the Sunsport that has already been redone, but it really depends a lot on what is most important to you. If you feel you need the extra space, I'd lean more towards the Saltare. Doing the rebuild is a lot of work/money, but it is very doable when the time comes.

defigh
01-22-2012, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Do those prices sound about right?

mapleleaf
01-22-2012, 08:54 PM
The 24 yr old interior in that Salty looks pretty good for its age, if the mechanics check out, it would be my choice...At a glance it looks like its been well looked after....

TitanTn
01-22-2012, 10:05 PM
If you want the space, I like the Saltare. As you've already mentioned, you'd better be ready for a stringer rebuild. If interested in the Saltare, I'd poke around in the bilge and see if I could find any examples of rot. Check the motor lags, and anywhere Supra screwed into the stringer. If you can make a case of stringer rot, you should be able to get the price down and make a rebuild very worth-while.

chrisk
01-22-2012, 11:15 PM
I'd think you should be able to talk the price of the Sunsport down to something in the 7k's.

Can't go wrong with either one, I think, advantages to both.

wotan2525
01-23-2012, 12:17 AM
The saltare will need the stringers redone... and probably sooner rather than later. If you go that route, just be prepared for it.

The saltare is bigger but the SunSport is a big boat, too. One thing many people don't consider is that the Saltare will need a 3/4 ton truck to pull it safely at highway speeds. Mine is probably a fair bit heavier than stock but I just don't feel safe pulling that thing very far with a 1/2 ton truck.

TitanTn
01-23-2012, 12:51 AM
The saltare is bigger but the SunSport is a big boat, too. One thing many people don't consider is that the Saltare will need a 3/4 ton truck to pull it safely at highway speeds. Mine is probably a fair bit heavier than stock but I just don't feel safe pulling that thing very far with a 1/2 ton truck.

Really? 3,500 for the boat, 1,000 for the trailer, and 500 for the extras. 5,000 pounds is nothing for a half ton truck. I pull my 8,000 lb travel trailer with my half ton with no issues whatsoever. I've towed it about 5,000 miles since I've owned it. My Saltare is a light-weight for my truck. Just another perspective.

daviddragon
01-23-2012, 09:54 AM
My vote is for Saltare.

csuggs
01-23-2012, 10:33 AM
Like everyone has said - both are good choices; the stringers WILL need to be done on the Saltare at some point (probably sooner); the $ is probably reasonable on both . . . it really comes down to your preference and how you will use the boat. Another consideration is storage in the boat and for the boat. The Salt will have more storage, but it will also take more to store the boat inside. My $.02, there are times when I think a larger boat would be nice, but in reality I'm very happy with my '86 Sunsport. Plenty of power and plenty of room in most cases (6 is comfortable and 8 is cozy). I think anyone on this forum would have to inspect both boats to advise you any further.

Having said all that . . . If I had it to do all over again, I would look for a vessel that does not have any wood structural components. I think that you have to go later than 1992 to get that in a Supra - but I could be wrong.

Clint

wotan2525
01-23-2012, 01:35 PM
Really? 3,500 for the boat, 1,000 for the trailer, and 500 for the extras. 5,000 pounds is nothing for a half ton truck. I pull my 8,000 lb travel trailer with my half ton with no issues whatsoever. I've towed it about 5,000 miles since I've owned it. My Saltare is a light-weight for my truck. Just another perspective.

I think 3500 is pretty low for what the boat actually weighs. The powertrain alone weighs 1000+ lbs. My trailer is closer to 1500, +400lbs of fuel +500 for tower/stereo/extras. You're already close to 5900lbs.

It's possible that the newer trucks pull better but my 2001 F-150 struggled at interstate speeds. It might have something to do with my trailer setup -- even though it seems like the axles are directly under the engine, the tongue weight on it still seems to be 800ish lbs. I don't have a problem since I "upgraded" to a 92 F-250 that I use exclusively for towing.

mr.jrc
01-23-2012, 06:48 PM
Both are good boats, and you can pile a good crowd of 8 in either boat. I personally like the Saltare, (i have owned an '86 for 20 years), however consider your indoor storage options, as you will need more space for the Saltare: at least a 26' deep garage. You will find alot of knowledge on this forum for stringer/flooring replacement. I would be inclined to get the price down on the Saltare and do the floor yourself to know what you have when done, and to have the opportunity to add ballast, tower, etc at the same time.

... has anyone taken their saltare to the scales? would be interesting to get some actual boat+trailer weights?

TitanTn
01-23-2012, 09:43 PM
I think 3500 is pretty low for what the boat actually weighs. The powertrain alone weighs 1000+ lbs. My trailer is closer to 1500, +400lbs of fuel +500 for tower/stereo/extras. You're already close to 5900lbs.

It's possible that the newer trucks pull better but my 2001 F-150 struggled at interstate speeds. It might have something to do with my trailer setup -- even though it seems like the axles are directly under the engine, the tongue weight on it still seems to be 800ish lbs. I don't have a problem since I "upgraded" to a 92 F-250 that I use exclusively for towing.

Well, I don't know for sure, but the original specifications from Supra say the dry weight is 3,500 lbs. But let's just say that it's between 5 and 6k pounds. I think something's wrong if your tongue weight is that high. For a boat the tongue weight should be 3-5%, so even if you do weigh 6k, your tongue weight should be around 250 pounds. A heavy tongue weight is about 10% which is what it should be for travel trailers. You're even over that.

Part of the issue for previously may have been the 2001 F-150. Depending on the drivetrain package, they had a tow capacity of anywhere from 2k to 7k pounds. So even if you had the optimal setup, you weren't far from the limits. From what I understand they significantly lacked torque for towing. I'm sure your F-250 is significantly better. But my point is that there are many (newer) 1/2 ton trucks that can comfortably pull the Saltare.

wotan2525
01-24-2012, 11:38 AM
Well, I don't know for sure, but the original specifications from Supra say the dry weight is 3,500 lbs. But let's just say that it's between 5 and 6k pounds. I think something's wrong if your tongue weight is that high. For a boat the tongue weight should be 3-5%, so even if you do weigh 6k, your tongue weight should be around 250 pounds. A heavy tongue weight is about 10% which is what it should be for travel trailers. You're even over that.

I agree, actually. My tongue weight is a huge mystery. I'll take some pictures when it gets out of storage but there's not much I can do. The fenders on the trailer are fixed so the axles aren't moving anywhere. 2 people can not lift my tongue no matter how hard they try.

kvand347
01-24-2012, 02:31 PM
Just wanted to chime in here...it's been awhile!

I bought my '93 Sunsport (no wood) last fall for $10,500 so I think the asking price even on a re-strung sunsport of that age is too high. Some people don't realize that they are not going to get out of boat what they put in it to re-string it. The reason to re-string is not to "flip" the boat, it is because it is the lesser of 2 evils: Find and buy a low-cost no wood boat, or fix the one you have.

'07 Avalanche is my tow vehicle and with 7,800 lbs of tow capacity I would say a Saltare would tow nicely as long as you don't expect to be a NASCAR driver with boat attached!

csuggs
01-24-2012, 04:27 PM
Just wanted to chime in here...it's been awhile!

I bought my '93 Sunsport (no wood) last fall for $10,500 so I think the asking price even on a re-strung sunsport of that age is too high. Some people don't realize that they are not going to get out of boat what they put in it to re-string it. The reason to re-string is not to "flip" the boat, it is because it is the lesser of 2 evils: Find and buy a low-cost no wood boat, or fix the one you have.

Good point - if you buy a decent wood stringer Supra with the intention of doing a stringer job (and it WILL need one), then the boat becomes a keeper because you WILL NOT get your money out of it - it's really that simple. I realized this before I had stringers done and now I have a keeper - but I wouldn't sell it anyway!

defigh
01-25-2012, 08:40 AM
Wow...so many great reply's. I think I am leaning towards the Saltare if I can get the price down a bit. I also really like the idea of a no-wood boat. I have been looking but they seem to be much harder to find. Were both the Sunsport and Saltre offer in the 93+ no wood years? KV, any pics of the 93?

Thanks for all the help guys.

TitanTn
01-25-2012, 09:11 AM
Wow...so many great reply's. I think I am leaning towards the Saltare if I can get the price down a bit. I also really like the idea of a no-wood boat. I have been looking but they seem to be much harder to find. Were both the Sunsport and Saltre offer in the 93+ no wood years? KV, any pics of the 93?

Thanks for all the help guys.

Supra wasn't extremely consistent as they switched from wood to no-wood. Most people will state the year as 1992 for when most of the non-wood Supras came out. There are a few examples of 1991 models with no wood, but they're very rare. I'm fairly sure that by 1993, almost all Supras were non-wood (although there may be a few exceptions here and there). One thing to look for is the squared off windshields or the newer style, rounded window frame. Most people tend to think that the rounded frames are the non-wood boats.