PDA

View Full Version : 1989 Supra Comp Ts6m restore

MaizeOutBlue
01-23-2012, 09:54 PM
Hey guys, This is my first post here. We just recently picked up a 1988 Supra Comp this past October. Our thought was with the birth of our daughter it was time to get something outside of the stand-up jetski's. I wanted not only to post the restore thread here but also ask for imput on the restore itself. I definitly didnt want to invest alot in our first boat and didnt mind taking a on project (so much for that thought $$$) we paid $1400.00 for the boat and it runs but runs rough, definitly is in need of a tune up (takes quite a bit to get her to fire up). It currently has 347 hrs on the gauge and needs some definite TLC. It also has an Edlebrock carb on it ,however previous owner did give me the original Holly at time of purchase. All gauges,stereo,pumps,lights are in working order.I investigated the stringers and didnt see any issues with a lite visual inspection however there is a spot in floor directly center with engine in front of rear seat that has been replaced. Since winter has hit, we have removed all the interior to have it re-upholstered and removed carpet. We also plan to repaint the boat & trailer and update the guages and interior. I will attach a few pics to get the thread rolling and will update as we make progress. Please feel free to give any helpful advice as far as do's and dont's or things to look out for during the restore. Thanks in advance
Maize86648663866286618665

MaizeOutBlue
01-23-2012, 09:56 PM

bens250ex
01-23-2012, 10:20 PM
Looks good, go ahead and drill into the stringers in a couple spots and check them. Check the engine bolts to see if they are tight. I am the middle of my comp resto. Hopefully have the engine back in it soon

mr.jrc
01-23-2012, 10:28 PM
you did good for the $$$. I would reconsider painting.... wetsand instead, you can get the gloss back in the gelcoat, get a jitterbug sander that siphons water, and work up to 4-5000 grit to get it looking like new. Trailer looks decent too.

Hagman
01-23-2012, 11:42 PM
Your boat is the same as the center boat in the 86 Supra brochure. Yes a diamond in the ruff a grate buy. Nice colors and she has the wood trim pkg upgrade. If your Int. is at the upholstery shop consider flipping the frame work on the rope locker upside down so the ply wood is on top it makes it nicer to walk on. Also check out the thread on dash recovering.

Hagman
01-24-2012, 12:19 AM
Are you sure this is a 89 model? The dash panels , Speedos , the way the side walls are mounted to the hull & speaker placement are like 86.. But you have a floor pan in the drivers aria. No mater . Supra wasn’t very consistent. Don’t tell us it will give us something else to talk about.

michael hunter
01-24-2012, 09:41 AM
Welcome to the family . Definitely a good find and a great boat.
+1 for not painting the hull if you sand and buff it will look like new again

MaizeOutBlue
01-24-2012, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the quick responses! To answer some of your questions, Yes, the title does list the boat as a 1988. And after seeing the brochure it makes me appreciate the boat alittle more andurges me to keep her original. Would definitly like to get my hands on one of those brochures. But i do think i will attempt to save and bring the gelcoat back to life first before paitning.I work for PPG so options were wide open for colors and materials. As far as the wood trim package, there are a few pieces that were broke,damaged ect... where can i get replacment pieces? or should i just have them made?

Okie Boarder
01-24-2012, 01:18 PM
Welcome...looks like a nice one.

jet
01-25-2012, 02:28 PM
Welcome. Yeah it looks more like a 88'. my dash is diff and the way the gunwalls are attached to the floor indicate its a 88' model. In 89'-90' they had like 2-3-diff versions but my 89' looks diff. Tear her apart and bring her back to life man.