PDA

View Full Version : This cost me nothing but a little time.

Hagman
01-29-2012, 02:37 AM
Last year I replaced 2 of the gages in my dash because I had cleaned the dash so many times the black paint had worn off of the gages revealing a chipped brass ring on the pointy edge . I’m sure that many of you are (looking) at the same problem. After getting the 2 new gages installed that made the rest look well not to good.
So over this winter I need to ether replace the rest of the gages or try to paint the ones I have. Check this out . Using the old gages for a test paint job. I used packing tape to mask the glass because paint bleeds under masking tape. A tooth pick and a sharp pointy tool to press the tape into the edges of the glass and a razor blade to cut the tape. This all took about 45 minuets mostly drying time. I had the black paint already. This cost me nothing but a little time.To do a better job next time I would wait longer between coats , put lighter coats on & get a fresh can of mat finish paint.

KO21v
01-29-2012, 12:13 PM
They look good.

tg0824SSVGG
01-29-2012, 08:05 PM
Nice! Save some $$ for something that's fun! (like buying fuel)

Okie Boarder
01-30-2012, 02:20 PM
Cool idea.

TitanTn
02-03-2012, 12:16 AM
Yep. Looks good. I did the same thing last winter. I just was lazy and didn't want to remove all the gauges, so I masked them off in place. Ugly masking, but the painted rings turned out well.

http://unumemarketing.com/boat/paint_dash.jpg

Hagman
02-04-2012, 01:31 AM
How long did it take to mask that. There’s a lot of tape.

TitanTn
02-04-2012, 10:00 AM
How long did it take to mask that. There’s a lot of tape.

Lol. Yep, thats a lot of tape. It took about 15-20 minutes. It really turned out good and was much less frustrating than pulling those panels out and then removing all the gauges.