PDA

View Full Version : Access to steering pin/rudder

suprasam
01-30-2012, 01:10 PM
I have an 86 Sunsport....i have some play in the steering. My floor was redone by the prior owner and I don't think there is any access back there. The rear seat will need to be coming up, and I guess if there is not any access, is the best thing to do is cut carpet with knife and cut one out? Then reglue carpet when done? This sounds fairly easy typing, but last night I think i was making more of this than i should. Thanks for any ideas.

Hagman
01-30-2012, 04:50 PM
How much play. There is several places that play accrues in the steering system . It all adds up. Most likely it’s not the steering pin or key way. There is play even in a new rotary cable steering system. The hardware that holds the cable at the rudder . The rudder (box or port) could be worn. Be safe check every thing. Some of us file the back side of the rudder to add rudder torque. This will put a little pull on the wheel that takes up the slack . If you try the file go only one or two strikes at a time it doesn’t take much. Good luck

suprasam
01-30-2012, 09:20 PM
Hagman, thanks for replying....its on the trailer and if I pull rudder left to right I can feel and hear the play. It is maybe 1/4 inch each way. It sounds like a pin isn't tight around rudder shaft coming from steering cable or steering arm. My terminology could be way off, sorry. I hope this make some sense. Thanks

Hagman
01-30-2012, 11:27 PM
Titan Ta has a thread about rudder rebuilding as well as some good pictures of what the rudder part looks like. I know what you are hearing if it’s not leaking your most likely OK but just to be safe pull the set and look at it. My rudder & box has about 1300hrs on it and is got little under ½ “ play form side to side. Before boating this year I plan to replace them.

Salty87
01-31-2012, 11:15 AM
access hatches come in all shapes and sizes

http://www.iboats.com/mall/image/view/1/9/0001_0.jpg

suprasam
01-31-2012, 12:51 PM
Yah after looking at the floor again towards the back, i am going to need to unscrew the rear seat and cut the carpet out and make an access panel. When the prior owner did the new floor, he didnt leave access for the rudder/steering. He did leave two other for the pumps, just not back there......oh well. Thanks