PDA

View Full Version : Wetsounds Rev 10 - too big for Supra 21V tower? (tube style)

pap
01-31-2012, 02:44 PM
I have a 2009 21V, planning to upgrade my speakers before summer. Looking at either rev8 or rev10's. Was told the drop on Rev10's with adjustable mount is just at 14". This is hanging down to eyeball height or lower on my boat. It's ovever the seats, but I'm wondering if anyone else out there has these or the 80's mounted (about the same size I think) and any feedback. I'm worried about cracking heads on the speakers. We would probably just mount 2 of them, but our holes are already drilled probably 50% lateral to midline so they wouldn't be all the way out to the sides.

KG's Supra24
01-31-2012, 03:56 PM
The rev 10s are big.

Where are your holes drilled? Here are some pics I took on test hanging mine.

I'm likely going with the staggered setup, 2 on front and 2 on rear. It is not ideal for sound but it is optimal for in boat. 4 speakers on the rear bar took up too much interior headroom space over the main part of the cabin, for me anyways.

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i401/kwgarner24/DSC_0448.jpg

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i401/kwgarner24/DSC_0455.jpg

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i401/kwgarner24/DSC_0456.jpg

jonyb
01-31-2012, 06:16 PM
6 Rev8's

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d19/jonyb1/Supra/IMG_20110613_170636.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d19/jonyb1/Supra/IMG_20110613_170559.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d19/jonyb1/Mobile%20Uploads/2011-08-26_17-47-58_648.jpg

pap
01-31-2012, 06:19 PM
right now I have one set of holes drilled about 4 inches to the outside of the cross support (just a little towards the middle of where you have your outer speaker installed).

With the z5 bimini on - you don't have any problem with the 10s?

Standing on the boat - are they in your face when you try to go back on the pad?

Also: as an aside, where did you get those extra board racks? Do you like them? Do they pour water into the cabin (I find even the stock ones do with a wet board)?

thanks for taking the time to post those pics, i appreciate it

pap
01-31-2012, 06:21 PM
JonyB - was typing when you posted. Dude, that is just insane! I assume you had the money to install either the 10 or 8's given that setup, so what made you go with the 8's? I'm thinking probably just one pair, I can't imagine 6 of those things!

KG's Supra24
01-31-2012, 08:02 PM
right now I have one set of holes drilled about 4 inches to the outside of the cross support (just a little towards the middle of where you have your outer speaker installed).

With the z5 bimini on - you don't have any problem with the 10s?

Standing on the boat - are they in your face when you try to go back on the pad?

Also: as an aside, where did you get those extra board racks? Do you like them? Do they pour water into the cabin (I find even the stock ones do with a wet board)?

thanks for taking the time to post those pics, i appreciate it

I just had those speakers up there for about an hour to do some preliminary testing on where I wanted them. I was able to use the z5 with them like that. The problem I had moving the outside speakers to the rear bar was hitting my head if i was getting something out of the cooler.

I honestly can't remember but I think the speakers on the rear bar but them right at your forehead going in and out of the boat. I really don't know though. I was happy enough with pic 1 and especially 2 when I was doing the in/out of boat stuff. Not so much the third pic.

They are monster racks, wake/surf combo. I've enjoyed having them and thought they were the best value for me when looking. They don't swivel but I think they look good and have been very functional; quick straps, quick release forks, sturdy. Also, the forks are adjustable width so it makes it where my wife's board fits. You may still have the problem with water, though. I don't pay much attention to it but yes, I get water from one of them or both, likely both. Here is a pic of the racks in action ... (the bottom swivel rack does still swivel w/o problem)

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i401/kwgarner24/100_0053.jpg

jonyb
01-31-2012, 10:30 PM
JonyB - was typing when you posted. Dude, that is just insane! I assume you had the money to install either the 10 or 8's given that setup, so what made you go with the 8's? I'm thinking probably just one pair, I can't imagine 6 of those things!
The 10's weren't available when I picked up the 8's. the 8's barely fit all teh way across, so there's no way the 10's would. I'm a dealer for WS in the Western KY area, so I had some of the first ones available last year. These sound so much better than the old Pro Series that there's no comparison. I haven't heard the 10's yet, but I can tell you that the 8's are nothing short of amazing.

jonyb
01-31-2012, 10:31 PM
I just had those speakers up there for about an hour to do some preliminary testing on where I wanted them. I was able to use the z5 with them like that. The problem I had moving the outside speakers to the rear bar was hitting my head if i was getting something out of the cooler.

I honestly can't remember but I think the speakers on the rear bar but them right at your forehead going in and out of the boat. I really don't know though. I was happy enough with pic 1 and especially 2 when I was doing the in/out of boat stuff. Not so much the third pic.

I think we're about the same height. My 8's are eye level standing in my boat.....

pap
01-31-2012, 11:20 PM
Do you think "just" 2 8's if run with enough power (syn2) would be loud enough to listen at wakeboard rope length? We are not looking to go crazy loud (like you apparently do!) but we have 4 cheap roswell cans now (stock) and somehow I just can't get past thinking 2 8's won't be 'enough'.

KG's Supra24
01-31-2012, 11:38 PM
I think 2 8's would get the job done. Def power it properly.

Jonyb, you may be right, my 10s probably hang lower than I said.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

jonyb
01-31-2012, 11:48 PM
2 8's would be fine, especially with the Syn2.

Check your PM's pap.

cigars n scotch
03-03-2012, 11:59 PM
I have a 2009 21V, planning to upgrade my speakers before summer. Looking at either rev8 or rev10's. Was told the drop on Rev10's with adjustable mount is just at 14". This is hanging down to eyeball height or lower on my boat. It's ovever the seats, but I'm wondering if anyone else out there has these or the 80's mounted (about the same size I think) and any feedback. I'm worried about cracking heads on the speakers. We would probably just mount 2 of them, but our holes are already drilled probably 50% lateral to midline so they wouldn't be all the way out to the sides.

Pap, I cant help but just wanted to say I have the pro 80's and am looking forward to installing them this spring. i got them 2 christmases ago but never got the chance to install them (wife was pregnant last year), so I am super pumped to get the whole install for this upcoming season.

pap
03-04-2012, 02:57 PM
I ended up putting a couple of rev8's on the boat. They are basically the same installed height as the roswell cans that were stock. Either the quick connect mount or the 10's were going to be down a couple inches so we stuck with the smaller size.

It's a bit strange to only have 2 speakers up there, we had 4 roswells before, but I can walk under them at 5'10".

KG's Supra24
03-04-2012, 03:46 PM
Pics? what do you think of them? What are you powering with?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

pap
03-04-2012, 06:11 PM
Can't really get decent pics as the boat is in my garage with very little space around it. Can't also really listen to them well, as I have about 6 inches behind the boat :) They are quite loud, I can tell you that, but with less bass than I'd hoped (not bad, I probably just had my hopes up too high).

They are running off a syn2.

jonyb
03-06-2012, 06:53 PM
They should be pretty punchy. Where is the crossover on the amp set?

2002 LAUNCH SS OWNER
07-12-2013, 03:30 PM
go with the rev8 speaker they only have a 9 or 10 inch drop and they sound just as good as rev10 i am very happy with my rev8