PDA

View Full Version : ignition

supra650
06-21-2005, 09:28 AM
The starter does not engage every time you turn the key. The voltmeter shows a drop in voltage when the key is turned. the throttle seems to be in the correct position. After several tries the engine suddenly will start. Where do i start looking for the problem?

DKJBama92Mariah
06-21-2005, 10:04 AM
Hello, and welcome to the community!

The 1st thing you want to check is you started solenoid. It is located toward the back of the engine. Here is a pic with it circled in yellow:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v55/dkjpika/Boat/StarterSolenoidPic.jpg

The solenoid is essentially a big honkin relay which uses the 12v from the ignition switch to close the circuit between the battery and the starter motor. Those are the posts with the big wires attached to them on the sides of the solenoid.

OK, here's how you test it. Have a friend/wife/neighbor hold the keyswitch in the start position while it is acting up (not starting). You should be able to hear the solenoid click when the key is turned back and forth between run and start. If it doesn't click, the the solenois is either shot, or you have an electrical problem in the wiring leading to the ignition switch. If this is the case, let us know, but i wont go into the troubleshooting details for this situation because it isnt likely to happen.

OK, now, if you heard the solenoid click when turning the ignition key, you will follow this procedure: Take your multimeter (if you dont have one, get one, it will come in handy all the time) and touch the positive (red) lead to the post that has the big wire running to the starter and the negative (black) lead to a clean, unpainted part of the motor (not the carburetor). If the meter shows 12 volts +/- 1 volt, the solenoid is fine, but if you have no reading (or a negligible amount: < 0.5 volts), the solenoid has gotten corroded/worn out and needs to be replaced.

If, in the previous test, you haev 12 volts going to the starter, that means the starter is gone or at least on its way out.

If you need parts and aren't loyal to your local dealer, a great parts house is Discout Inboard Marine at www.skidim.com . They will have everything you might need for the repair and are also know to be very helpful and knowledgeable in troubleshooting problems.

Try these procedures out and let us know what your results are.

Good luck

Cheers,
DKJ

Mike
06-21-2005, 12:34 PM
Could it be the neutral switch on the transmission? Happens to me occassionaly on my 89 Comp. Typically I just move the throttle back and forth a few times and the switch sorts itself out. You could try jumping the switch terminals when this happens (make sure the throttle level is in the neutral position). A new switch is not expensive and easy to install (on my boat anyways).

Mike

DKJBama92Mariah
06-21-2005, 07:37 PM
Mike,

The neutral safety switch could be the problem, but I dont think it is. Notice that he stated that the voltmeter drops when he turns the key. That leads me to believe that it is the starter. If it were the neutral safety switch, there would probably not be a voltage drop when the key is turned.

DKJ

supra650
07-10-2005, 10:42 PM
Thank-you for the accurate information on the starter relay solenoid. That was the problem. It is fixed.