PDA

View Full Version : Summerizing boat

Tribal 20
02-07-2012, 09:16 PM
This is my first year summerizing. How do you get the antifreeze out of the block? Thanks.

lively
02-07-2012, 10:29 PM
what ya got ?

Jetlink
02-07-2012, 10:40 PM
Also, more importantly...what type antifreeze did you use? RV antifreeze or auto antifreeze?

pap
02-07-2012, 10:46 PM
At least for my boat, as it was winterized with non-toxic marine safe stuff, I just put my boat in the water and start her up and I'm off for the summer. The antifreeze just flushes right through (and is safe for the lake)

tg0824SSVGG
02-07-2012, 11:23 PM
Who asks this in FEBRUARY, when my water is still solid to drive a car on, you just a serious planner, or are you teasing the rest of us? There is 15+ inches of snow on my boat at the moment ... sad ...

But - what kind of anti-freeze, and are all the block plugs back in the block, hoses connected etc? Who did the winterizing?

Jetlink
02-08-2012, 01:44 AM
We are planners...have to plan as all our weekends are getting taken up with wedding stuff leading up to the big day in May. As it is, tentative boat pick up is April 7th for us unless we get an unseasonably warm/early spring here. Already getting my stuff together for my exhaust overhaul I got planned to start the season off.

86 century
02-08-2012, 08:15 AM
Rest of the world isn't a mile high up!

Took this pic yesterday in GA. Granted, a little early for Feb. but no complaints here.

I don't think we get 15 inches in 15 years.

http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/xx49/ngavdba/beed1662.jpg

must be nice its snowing prety good right now.

Tribal 20
02-08-2012, 09:05 AM
Yeah. Sorry about that. 07 launch indmar engine. Used the pink marine stuff. It would be great to just put in the water and go. This is the first time weve used antifreeze. I figured that we needed to drain before putting in the lake. Thanks.

iwakeboard
02-08-2012, 09:09 AM
This thread makes me so happy.

I dewinterize on March 17 every year, St. Patty's Day. The way weather has been this year I may be able to do it a little earlier. It's supposed to be near 60 by the middle of next week, and we've been enjoying weather like this most of the 2012 so far. The most snow we've seen was a dusting on one night.

Tribal, as others above have said, you're good to go now if they used non-toxic marine grade anti-freeze.

KO21v
02-08-2012, 10:41 AM
Who asks this in FEBRUARY, when my water is still solid to drive a car on, you just a serious planner, or are you teasing the rest of us? There is 15+ inches of snow on my boat at the moment ... sad ...

But - what kind of anti-freeze, and are all the block plugs back in the block, hoses connected etc? Who did the winterizing?

Todd we are still going every weekend. Take a winter vacation and head out this way.

michael hunter
02-08-2012, 11:14 AM
Since we moved here to GA we cant believe we put up with the weather in the north. Our house is all electric heat/AC our average bill is 100.00 per month the highest was low 200s. In Indiana 2009 Propane was 3k per year and 100.00 a month for electric. Last year we started riding in Feb. This year our projected start is early to mid march.

tg0824SSVGG
02-08-2012, 09:35 PM
Keith - I know you go every weekend (when you're not going to snowshoe or some other place to snowboard/ski)... but don't you have a heated lake, and a fancy new heated barn do store it in? JEALOUS.

I will be out your way in July - for the Nationals -- and hopefully can spend a little extra time to come see you guys -- and my sister that lives in Raleigh ... she will KILL me if I am in the area and don't visit!

jzelt
02-09-2012, 02:06 PM
I start mine up on the garden hose in the yard. Put 2 five gal. buckets. (one on each side of the wake plate where most of the exhaust water runs off) and idle it up to temp. Allows me to check that nothing is leaking (tighten hose clamps that I loosened during winterizing), makes sure the thermostat is going to open, as well as collects most of the antifreeze, Oil gets circulated, and the boat is going to run that first launch. Nothing like watching those that tow all the way, get everything loaded, and nothing works. (dead battery, bad connection, bad starter, etc).

iwakeboard
02-09-2012, 04:14 PM
I start mine up on the garden hose in the yard. Put 2 five gal. buckets. (one on each side of the wake plate where most of the exhaust water runs off) and idle it up to temp. Allows me to check that nothing is leaking (tighten hose clamps that I loosened during winterizing), makes sure the thermostat is going to open, as well as collects most of the antifreeze, Oil gets circulated, and the boat is going to run that first launch. Nothing like watching those that tow all the way, get everything loaded, and nothing works. (dead battery, bad connection, bad starter, etc).

Yea, this is my first year starting on a fake-a-lake. I've never had it not start after the winter but you always think it could happen, nothing worse than getting to the lake with all your plans, beer, gas, friends, etc and there's no working boat.

TitanTn
02-11-2012, 11:35 AM
I start mine on a fake-a-lake before every trip to the lake. You just never know. Plus, being that mine in carbureted it's nice to have it warm up so I don't have to sit on the boat ramp very long. Just turn the key, starts smooth, and pull off the trailer.

LutiiChell
02-13-2012, 04:22 AM
Hey Guys
Whats your opinion about owning a flats boat in New england? I like fly fishing and light tackle and have been considering a flats boat? My question is Do you think just having a flats boat is really limiting in New England?
- Thanks
James

michael hunter
02-13-2012, 08:36 AM
Hey Guys
Whats your opinion about owning a flats boat in New england? I like fly fishing and light tackle and have been considering a flats boat? My question is Do you think just having a flats boat is really limiting in New England?
- Thanks
James
What is a flats boat ? This Forum is exclusively for the discussion of Supras and like boats.

TitanTn
02-13-2012, 12:08 PM
Hey Guys
- Thanks
James

For what you're wanting to do, yes, it sounds like the right boat for you. But it you want to expand to other types of fishing, then no, you're limiting yourself. This would perhaps be a better conversation for the iboats.com forum as this one is specifically for Supra inboard ski boats.

iwakeboard
02-16-2012, 10:01 AM
Got my oil changed on Friday - ready to go :cool: