PDA

View Full Version : 1984 Supra Inboard ski boat

finka
02-09-2012, 11:26 AM
I am looking at buying a 1984 Supra Inboard ski boat with a 351 PCM Engine. My question is how is it for wakeboarding and wake wise? I would look to add a tower and maybe a few fat sacs?
Any opinions?

Also its $3000 and in pretty good condtion. What do you think of price?

michael hunter
02-09-2012, 11:43 AM
That is one of the best competition ski boats made. It was made to make a small wake . It also has very low sides and was designed to hold 3 people [Driver,Spotter,Skier] Others may disagree but comps make very poor wake boats kinda liken trying to pull a trailer with a Corvette. IMO putting a tower and ballast on it will only ruin the boat and still not give good results. However it looks like a good deal on a great boat. Make sure you check the floor and stringers for rot. If that boat was anywhere near Georgia I would definitely move quickly on it.

Jetlink
02-09-2012, 02:28 PM
As Michael said above, it is probably the premier boat for skiing, I absolutely love the wake shape and height when I am skiing. I do use it for wakeboarding as well and have a tower on it. The hull design does not really lend itself to creating a really nice wakeboard wake, it is able to throw a decent wake but I feel that it is a bit soft. If you are only looking to wakeboard you might out grow it quickly. Now, I realize Jet will probably jump all over me for what I have said but I just want to speak as a comp owner. I have been able to dial in my wake for wakeboarding but it really takes some skill driving and you have to pay attention to the water all the time when running ballast.

Here is a picture of my wake when I am running just a little over half full on my ballast.

86 century
02-09-2012, 04:47 PM
If it's solid I would jump on it.

In a month or two you could get twice that for it around here.

I gave 4k for my bravura at the end of last season and feal I got a good deal on it.

jet
02-09-2012, 07:18 PM
YOU *$^%. LMAO..just kidding. I will kill yall later. Look at it like this. You buying a $69,000 boat..nope..you want a boat..yep. you want to spend $20-$30-$40k..nope. You want to wakeboard and hangout at the lake, yep. Pay the man. Its a great starter boat. : ))

i'll kill yall later.

mr.jrc
02-09-2012, 08:16 PM
for $3k and judging by the pics... not just a good deal, but a GREAT deal! I agree with the guys, it gets you on the lake, and looks like a good hull candidate even if you have to replace the floor. Any soft spots on the floor will identify the inevitable... floor and possible stringer replacement. All these boat get there eventually. My policy is fall and winter is a great time to get used boats and motorcycles, go for it!

csuggs
02-10-2012, 10:06 AM
Comps are awesome boats - like driving my Sunsport but on rails! If you want an extreme wake with LOTS Of ballast then look for a boat with a taller freeboard, like a Sunsport or Rider. Comps ride low in the water even with no ballast, but they are Bada$$! My son can still do a tantrum behind my buddy's stock original 87 Comp with no ballast or tower, so it can be done.

jet
02-10-2012, 01:56 PM
Just add 1800lbs. lol

Jetlink
02-10-2012, 03:53 PM
Just add 1800lbs. lol
8719Why stop there Jet? I only truly max out my ballast once or twice a year and only when the water is not big with a ton of boat traffic. As for Clint's comment about it being on rails, I can attest to that. I love that I can turn on a dime with the comp when empty. And no, I have never done a power turn nor do I desire to do it because remember everyone, friends don't let friends power turn. Now, for Finka, $3,000 is a really good price especially if the floor and more importantly the stringers are in good shape. Just a reference point, I purchased mine two years ago right as the summer season was kicking off for $4,000...

csuggs
02-11-2012, 07:49 AM
I agree with Dan - $3000 is a good price.