PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever tried doing their own interior vinyl work?

SupraComp
06-21-2005, 01:43 PM
I wonder how complicated it would be to sew my own vinyl instead of paying an arm and a leg to have it done. I need to do the whole interior so it would be a big job. Anyone ever tried this? Or know of any books out there to show how to learn?

Meister
06-22-2005, 07:12 AM
I did it in last winter. It takes 8 weeks (in the evening) 19meters vinyl and a lot of new wood. But it is my job (master of uppolstering):)

Meister
06-22-2005, 07:12 AM
Another pic:

Juice75
06-22-2005, 10:21 AM
Nice work, Meister! I recovered a couple of my seat cushions this winter. It wasn't too hard, and it looks better than some of the 'professional' jobs I've seen. I'd say buy enough vinyl to cover one seat bottom and give it a shot. If you're not happy with the results, then take it to a shop. If it looks good, then buy more material and go for it!

If you do take it to a shop, I'd ask how much they would knock off the price if you disassembled the seats and replaced the wood yourself. That part's easy. You don't need to use marine grade wood. Instead, I recommend using normal plywood (the correct thickness of course), then coating it with fiberglass resin.

Keep us updated on your decision/progress.