PDA

View Full Version : FYI: Engine START after Layup

rickr
02-11-2012, 03:50 PM
My brother never listens to my advice, a few years ago he started his SBC after a winter layup and spun a bearing :(

FYI: When I start my engines after a long layup (> 2 months) I like to prime the oil system and clean the carb (on carb engines)
I spray a judisious amount of carb cleaner in the Holly sight holes. Let cleaner soak a few hours.

When ready to start the engine, I disable the ignition (ground coil wire) and crank the engine over until it builds oil pressue (check oil pressure at the gauge). I do not crank over 20 seconds at a time so the started does not overheat. Let engine sit for five minutes and repeat.

Your bearings will thank you!

TitanTn
02-12-2012, 11:11 PM
Great advice. Thanks Rick.

lively
02-12-2012, 11:49 PM
yeah no joke , i always try to think of a good way to lube those mains up real good before take off .. thanks bud

86 century
02-13-2012, 02:44 PM
Now that I think about it taking the plugs out would lessen the load on the starter and bearings.

suprasam
02-13-2012, 08:25 PM
I have heard PLEASE CORRECT me.....I have heard some people also putting a little oil(teaspoon) in each spark plug hole prior to the first turn over for the summer. I have never done this, but I have thought about it for this summer. Let me know if someone has done this with good results or if this was an old wives tale.

86 century
02-14-2012, 04:08 AM
I spray foging oil in all the holes in the fall.

As long as the plugs are how much oil you put in doent realy matter.

Okie Boarder
02-14-2012, 07:25 PM
Hmmm, good ideas. I wonder about removing the spark plugs and adding fogging oil or just oil too.

rickr
02-18-2012, 07:17 PM
I pull the plugs if the engine has been layed up more than 6 months, but if it has just a few months (our Winters are short in East TN) I just turn her over with plugs in.

+1 using fogging oil during layup. I spray down the carb venturies while high idling the engine untill I get smoke out of the exhaust.

You do NOT want to hydrolock your engine (bent rod) with motor oil in the cylinders :(