PDA

View Full Version : One side warming up more than the other?

TitanTn
02-14-2012, 08:57 PM
So I've got the motor back in and running. But ever since then, the port side is warming up, but the starboard side is not getting that hot. The overall temp of the motor seems to be just right. I've included a video where you can see the steam from the hot side (water is cold, outside temp was about 37).

Any ideas? What is causing this? Anything to be concerned about? The manifolds are almost new and very clean so I'd be surprised if there is any blockage anywhere.

http://youtu.be/TLuH7SwrdNM?hd=1

docdrs
02-14-2012, 09:06 PM
There appears to be not much water coming out your exhaust. Open your garden hose wider, if there is not enough flow then there will be more smoke/ evap. Look at your thermostat housing and if you follow the water flow you may find that more will in general be flow to the starboard side. jmo

TitanTn
02-15-2012, 12:09 AM
Thanks doc. The water pressure may be a little low, plus I had a leak at the water pump ( has since been fixed). I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure it wasn't this way last year.

Jetlink
02-15-2012, 12:43 AM
Have to agree with Doc on this one... My boat always seems to have just a slightly greater amount of water coming out the starboard exhaust when I run it on the hose. It looked like your port exhaust was only "spitting" water while the starboard had more of a steady stream coming out. Bet the flow is low on the hose. Don't want to assume anything but I thought I remember you saying something about an engine rebuild...new impeller I assume too right?

TitanTn
02-15-2012, 09:13 AM
Yes. New impeller. You're right that flow on the starboard side was better than the port. I may have needed more volume on the water hose, and as I said, it was leaking decently at the water pump. The threads were weak where you split the water pump and so I didn't crank down on it, thus the leak. I have since tapped and installed helicoils in the pump and have it tightened as it should be. I'm going to do another fake-a-lake test at home and if everything checks out I'll be heading to the lake for a real trial. Maybe at that point I'll see how it's really behaving.

p.s. On the other hand, I really enjoy listening to boat run. Doesn't that 454 sounds good!

sybrmike
02-15-2012, 11:07 AM
I noticed the same condition during the brief time I had mine running on the hose last fall. Starboard manifold was running ~30 deg F warmer on the IR gun. I had cleaned up the manifold passages real good during the rebuild & water flow looked pretty equal out of the exhaust. Still, I thought it might be from reduced water flow since that's the side I tapped for the PSS seal flush. I pinched off the flow to the seal for awhile, but no effect on the temp. My mechanic said not to worry about it & I didnt' get a chance to monitor it during the abbreviated lake test, but I will be taking another look again this spring.

csuggs
02-15-2012, 11:17 AM
Sounds Good!!!

What type of shaft seal do you have? The reason I ask is that my boat now uses a PSS shaft seal which has a water hose running from the inlet of ONE of the exhaust manifolds to the seal bellows which means I have more water running through one side of my exhaust than the other. IF that's the case with your boat, then the side with less water may make steam more readily than the side with more water. Just a thought . . . .

Here's a pic of the water that comes out around my seal. It's a fair amount.
http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac71/csuggs/DSC03455a.jpg

While writing this reply I see that SybrMike had the same scenario. . . .

csuggs
02-15-2012, 11:21 AM
Titan - I guess I'm a little surprised you're still running the Supertrapps. I like the trapps, but they are a primary cause of our boats having rotten stringers. Just make sure that you keep them sealed regularly with 3m4200 or 5200 where the exhaust tube slides over the Supertrapp.

Jetlink
02-15-2012, 02:26 PM
Gee, thanks guys, I wasted about 30 minutes watching your videos and other videos of various Supras running around on the water. Only eight more weeks until my boat comes home from winter slumber and I get to start tinkering again.

TitanTn
02-15-2012, 07:50 PM
Mike - Thanks. It's good to know that I'm not the only one and your mechanic didn't seem too concerned.

Clint - I have the packing type of shaft seal, so mine just drips slowly in the boat. Thanks for the thought though. I'm still running the traps because I'm very confident of how I installed them. I think the original failure of the trapps is from a poor installation. Most were just sealed with an adhesive sealant around the outer lip of the trapp. I sealed (5200) between the exhaust pipe and the hull, plus between the shaft of the trapp and the exhaust pipe. By the time I got to the outer edge, I didn't even technically have to seal it. But of course I did. Without the shaft part of the trapp being sealed, water could squeeze between the exhaust pipe and the trapp and wrap back into the hull. Not much at a time, but enough to cause problems over time. I really think I have eliminated that problem. (as I look back at your comment I realize that what I'm calling the shaft, you're calling the "exhaust tube that slips over the trapp. So I think we're saying the same thing.)

Ngavdba - thanks for that video. It does look like you're pumping more than me. As I said, I've got the leaky pump fixed, so when I combine that with more water volume I think mine will look different. I'm going to have a chat with my water boy about the volume he's running (my 9-year old handles that responsibility).

csuggs
02-16-2012, 03:10 PM
I also prefer the sound of the trapps. The flappers have more of a "bark" to them that I don't really care for.
Titan - we are talking about the same thing - as long you keep them sealed you'll be good. I think that the sealants we now have as well as the knowledge of what happens when the trapps leak will certainly help prevent future damage to stringers.