PDA

View Full Version : boat buddy - anyone use one

zoepfund
06-22-2005, 12:50 PM
I saw a Malibu owner using a Boat Buddy on his trailer. See http://www.kodiaktrailer.com/redswish/boat_buddy.htm for a description.

Anyone use of of these ? Does anyone recommend them or have resevations ?

I'm wondering if it would work on a 90 Mariah with the factory trailer.

Thanks,

zoepfund

Diggs
06-22-2005, 03:20 PM
Boat buddy is the best thing since sliced bread. You need to know how to use it properly or you will hate it! All new Supras come standard with them, I think. Not sure how it will work with your boat, but if so they make you look like a pro at the dock. Pulling our boat out of the water is about a 20 second ordeal.

dndsam
06-22-2005, 10:22 PM
Ditched mine. I didn't like it. It continuously scuffed up the front of my boat as most Supras have the downward turn in the bow. I installed a Stolz roller bow stop and love it.

selle92
06-24-2005, 02:30 PM
I have one on my trailer. Have a 91 Mariah. Can't say i like it or dislike it, since launched the boat, and haven't pulled it out of the water yet. But, it will work for an older Mariah..

hanski
07-04-2005, 09:47 PM
I have one, not sold on it with varying lake levels and differnet launches, it is hard to find the correct trailer depth to make it work.

JGates
08-12-2005, 08:30 AM
Works well for us and others I know that have one. We float our boat onto/off the trailer vice winch it so it saves time plus it provides a measure of safety. Also allows me to focus on whether or not the boat is sitting properly on the trailer when tkaing it out of the water. Makes it easier for the wife a kids as well when they're helping. It does appear to scuff the bow a bit but those marks come of easily with wax etc...jhg

IndyMatt
08-13-2005, 12:16 PM
I really enjoy my 'Boat Buddy' but I use it less conventally than its intended use. I watch other boaters at the ramp over and over again forefully drive their boats into the reciever and that just dosnt make sense to me. I ususally drive the boat onto the trailer within 1 to 2 feet of the winch and then crank the boat into the buddy until it locks into place. Boat mate did a fantastic job setting up the trailer bunks and I never have a problem with alignment. This system works great, and with a direct drive I dont worry about rear tie-downs; just load and go.

Vapor-rub
08-15-2005, 05:35 PM
I liked the boat buddy at first, but now I am ready to replace it with a roller. It worked great on my usual ramp which must be just at the right angle. The other day I launched from a very steep ramp and had a heck of a time getting the boat back on the trailer. Because of the steepness of the ramp the bow of the boat kept wanting to go under the boat buddy. It was a real pain.

Also, the latch bar is bent outwards, towards the boat. It is not bent in towards the front of the trailer as if I loaded the boat with the boat buddy latched. It is bent outward as if it started to give as I was pulling the trailer out of the water with the boat on it. Yes, I know a lot of people get out and attach the winch strap before pulling out of the water, but if you're going to have to do that everytime what is the point of having a boat buddy?

silvtongdvl
08-16-2005, 10:41 AM
The secret with loading your boat on a steep ramp is to have less of the trailer in the water. There have been times I have gotten the boat started on the trailer (my son drives the boat on) and then pulled the trailer up alittle bit to load the rest of the way. Another trick is to have friends stand on swim deck and hang onto ss bar. This puts the nose up also - can be also done by filling rear ballast.
Boat buddy does not change anything because the bow would go under a roller if the trailer was so equipped. All it does is free up a person from having to stand there. I have seen lots of people back their trailers in to the water - never get out of the truck - listen for the snap and the wave of the boat driver and pull the boat right out. They are my best boat ramp friends because they are off the ramp in seconds.
~S~

selle92
10-21-2005, 10:59 AM
Well, I finally fixed my trailer so the boat buddy is in the right spot to use it.

Q: anyone had problems with the pin at all? my only concern is that it would snap/bend. Maybe its just me being too cautious.

does anyone that has the buddy system use the winch to attach eleswhere? Like the top eyeloop?- just as added security? besides tiedowns at the rear.

I used the winch to get it out of the water. Then had a buddy weld the buddy system in the right spot afterwards, so I still haven't been able to load the boat using the boat buddy yet.
Looks like it'll work pretty slick though and Looks great. I'm just thrilled my trailer now actually fits my boat.

Front bunks re-aligned, and stop/boat buddy lined up for $100. Not bad, considering I got a sweet 2004 boat mate trailer with all the bells and whistles cheap. Minor mods, and it fits great now.

H20punk
10-21-2005, 12:49 PM
Got one! Like it!

Be careful, seen a guy about a month ago loading his Moomba and went it to fast and the Boat buddy shot the pin right thru the front of his boat!

Use it wisely!

Punk

IndyMatt
10-21-2005, 03:39 PM
I think giving boat owners somthing to purposly drive into (other than a lift) is a bad idea. Im not sure why... Im generally very patient... but when i get to the ramp & see some things that people do... giving me a destructive outlet may not be a good idea.

gravgames
11-10-2005, 05:39 PM
I have a grav-games 2004 that has the boat buddy. I find the B/B makes loading much easier. When my boat strikes the plate I simply go to the nose and hook the winch for extra hold when pulling out. No one is getting out of the truck or the boat.. On the diff. angles of the ramp, I find it to help if you leave everybody in the boat and sitting towards the back or just fill the ballist bags so as to lift the nose over the B/B. I see alot of people wishing they could get out as fast and easy as I do!

Thanks for reading Jeff:)

gravgames
11-10-2005, 05:40 PM
I have a grav-games 2004 that has the boat buddy. I find the B/B makes loading much easier. When my boat strikes the plate I simply go to the nose and hook the winch for extra hold when pulling out. No one is getting out of the truck or the boat.. On the diff. angles of the ramp, I find it to help if you leave everybody in the boat and sitting towards the back or just fill the ballist bags so as to lift the nose over the B/B. I see alot of people wishing they could get out as fast and easy as I do!

Thanks for reading Jeff:)