PDA

View Full Version : Impeller

ronixrider82
02-22-2012, 08:58 PM
When does everybody switch out there Impeller? Every season or longer? Last time I changed mine was the season of 09... I think I'll go ahead and change it out this season.. Just to be safe!

86 century
02-22-2012, 09:26 PM
This is my first year dealing with a nondrive mounted pump.
I replace mine every spring. I am sure they will go much longer but how long I dont want to find out.
Impellers are cheep an overheated eng can be big money

docdrs
02-22-2012, 09:30 PM
If you have a raw water strainer the last much longer or if you boat in crystal clear water. I have a strainer and the longest I've let mine go is 3 years. Even at that point it looked brand new.

TitanTn
02-22-2012, 09:48 PM
I haven't owned my Supra very long, but in all my other boats I always went about three years also and they still looked new. I'm sure boating in shallow waters could decrease the life expectancy, but I think an annual change is a little too much unless you're running a thousand hours a season.

86 century
02-23-2012, 03:51 AM
Im not saying you need to change them every year.

All I have owend to this point where mercury outboards or strern drives with the worlds worst impellers.

csuggs
02-23-2012, 11:31 AM
There's no need to change it every year, but it should be inspected annually. If there are any cracks or if it is brittle, pieces missing, etc then replace it.
FYI - when I winterize my boat I always remove the impeller for the winter so that the veins will "relax" and not take a set. I figure if I'm going to inspect it in the spring anyway, I may as well remove it when I drain the water out in the fall. Just gotta remember to put it back in!

Jetlink
02-23-2012, 01:32 PM
Hey Clint, I do the same thing over the winter. I leave the impeller out over the winer, actually it is sitting in a ziploc bag right now in a small boat tub with the keys as my reminder to put it back in before I start it.

crystal waters
02-23-2012, 02:48 PM
Impellers are inexpensive and easy to replace. Change mine out every year for a new one. No worries!

Eric
'89 conbrio

wotan2525
02-23-2012, 05:35 PM
I replace mine every spring. Cheap insurance. Keep the old one as a spare. Rarely need it, but it's good to have.

pap
02-23-2012, 06:03 PM
I had mine replaced this last fall when winterized, the boat was 3 years old. It looked like new. No way I'm replacing it annually after seeing that.

Nobodyrides4Free
02-24-2012, 10:27 AM
I replace mine every other year. It does not cost that much and it is Cheap Insurance. Looked at the end of 1st year it was looked fine, so I decided to go evey other. They recommend pulling it out and storing it in a sealed baggy with lubricunt or vasoline every year. I leave mine in and its fine. Use your own judgement, depends on how much you use your boat too.