PDA

View Full Version : Plywood and Resin?????

FULL-THROTTLE
02-24-2012, 05:34 PM
Hello,

I just spoke to a boat restoration co in town and they gave me a quote to do a new floor and stringer job, but they also told me they use BC douglas Fir 1/2" plywood for everything and a high grade polyester resin.
They have a good reputation and guarantee their work, but I am not sure of the materials, what do you all think?

By the way the boat is a 1986 Supra sunsport.

Thanks,

Fran

86 century
02-27-2012, 11:40 PM
The choice of wood or reasin is of much less importance than how the work is done.

However using good materials nevet hurts.
What was the quote I have read on here that skiers choice is fairly resonable and they dont use wood anymore.

Good luck

Salty87
02-28-2012, 10:47 AM
posts are missing from this thread.

the quality of the materials is important but the quality of the job is more important. the factory used crappy materials and did a pretty crappy job but got us 20+ yrs out of these boats. take more care and cut fewer corners and you're bound to do better.

poly resin is what the hull is made out of. people use epoxy because it binds to old resin more easily. poly resin works great if you do a proper scuff/clean on the old resin.

i don't know much about fir. i went with marine grade ply.

poured flotation foam is what you want to avoid no matter which products you use.

sybrmike
02-28-2012, 10:54 AM
Agreed, workmanship is paramount. Plywood, dimensional lumber, poly, epoxy, biax cloth, matt, etc., are all acceptable materials as long as it's properly utilized - aka, all the wood is sealed from moisture. The most expensive vinylester and carbon fiber won't do any good if raw wood is left exposed anywhere down below, but good workmanship with even the cheapest of materials will be far better than the original raw, exposed, unsealed wood.

jet
02-28-2012, 03:10 PM
Hey guys. Im getting ready to lay some glass. Can you tell me which cloth is better to use? And how much to buy?? And last any resin will work correct? I saw some at my boat place yesterday some was $99 gal and others $45 a gal? The lady there didnt know anything and I forgot to look it up before I went. Thanks Jet

Okie Boarder
02-28-2012, 07:27 PM
jet,

I would order from US Composites if I were you. Otherwise you're going to rack up a lot of cost getting it local, most likely. I used the 1708 biaxial stiched cloth they sell and epoxy resin. I did two layers on secondary stringers and cross braces, but put three layers on the main stringers. I also did 3-4 layers in the area where the engine rests. I think I went through somewhere around 25-30 yards of 50" width cloth and 25-30 gallons of epoxy for my whole job. You won't use that much since your stringers aren't as tall and you aren't doing the whole boat.