PDA

View Full Version : Pleasurecraft Engine Troubleshooting

Don Ketcham
08-26-2002, 08:44 PM
I was troubleshooting a problem last week with my 87 Supra which seemed to lack power and top end speed. I was running full throttle watching the secondary barrells when the engine studdered and then quit. The temperature gauge was pegged! I had just purchased the boat at the end of last summer and did not replace the impeller which appeared in good shape however it apparently started slipping on the hub. Anyway the engine was barely able to turn over after it cooled and I later found it had water on all 8 plugs and experienced hydralic lock in one or two cylinders. Out of the water and with no water pump I was able to clear the engine, reinstall the spark plugs and crank it. I ran it long enough to expell any additional water and then shut it off. It ran and idled OK. Now I am unsure if I should install the new water pump and try it out assumming the water may have entered the engine from just the over heating condition or go ahead and figure that a head is cracked or a head gasket blown. After removing the valve cover on the side that had the most apparent water in the cylinder I saw no cracks in the head. My main concern is risking additional damage vs. pulling the top half of the engine for no reason. Any suggestions???

Salty87
08-28-2002, 03:01 PM
compression test

mine has done that before but not at the same time as the impellor going out. if you didn't run it hot for too long you should be ok.