PDA

View Full Version : Fuel tank removal

86 century
02-27-2012, 07:42 PM
I need to do some work on the rudder of my 90 bravura.
I cant for life of me get the fuel tank out it's empty and lose just will not turn to come all the way out.
Is the somthing am missing.

Thanks john

TitanTn
02-27-2012, 09:07 PM
The tank sits on some foam type of material. Over the years it may have semi-melted from the heat and essentially glued the tank to the floor. Once your connections (vent, fill, fuel line, etc) are removed, and the straps are removed, then tank should come right out. See if you can tell if the foam is causing you problems.

86 century
02-27-2012, 10:43 PM
She was basicaly glued in. I got that loose all the lines and sender wires are off.
I can lift the tank up to lip where the trunk sets. Its just will not fit through the hole and no enough room to
turn it up on end edge so it will come out.

Sorry I didnt explane my problem better thanks for your time.

TitanTn
02-27-2012, 11:11 PM
Oh, sorry about that. I'm not familiar with the specific interior layout of the Bravura. I would have thought it was similar to the Saltare in that you simply remove the ski locker and lift the tank out.

86 century
02-27-2012, 11:44 PM
I wish

Its just my luck to stumble in to an odd ball.

I think I have come up with a new plan. Will haft to waight till tomorro.

Salty87
02-28-2012, 10:39 AM
tank on my saltare was very tight.

slide tank to one side of boat as far as you can...i think the filler side. lift the opposite end up and start working it around. you'll find the magic angle.

sybrmike
02-28-2012, 10:46 AM
Don't know about the Bravura but on my 89 Salt I had to slide the tank forward to remove it. The back corners of the top cap inner skirt liner had been notched just in front of the tank where they meet the floor for clearance.

cavilry
02-28-2012, 12:52 PM
Hmmm. On my '90 sunsport I removed the rear bench also. Super quick and easy and made it MUCH easier to get out.

TitanTn
02-28-2012, 01:38 PM
Hmmm. On my '90 sunsport I removed the rear bench also. Super quick and easy and made it MUCH easier to get out.

True. I wouldn't want to remove the tank without removing the seats first.

86 century
02-28-2012, 05:30 PM
I was finaly able to get it out.

The tank turns up on its side to come out only problem there is no enough room to flip it till you take off part of the blower system.
Now on to the rudder

How much slop are these things suppost to have. I belive mine is the rope packing style.

TitanTn
02-28-2012, 08:52 PM
Congrats on getting the tank out.

I can't tell you an exact measurement on how much slop is acceptable, other than to tell you that it will have more than you'd expect. I've read people from people on this forum about the amount of play in their newer boat rudders and they still move. Not a scientific answer, but if you repack it, and it still leaks, then it's too much.

86 century
02-29-2012, 04:23 AM
Ok thanks

I didnt notice to much of a leak then again I have only had her on the water about two hours total.

I would be mad about the rudder but I found it looking my ride over to run the wires for the perfectpass that should be here in a day or two.

86 century
02-29-2012, 07:50 PM
Any one have an idea what size packing the rudder takes.

Found the reason for the slop in the strearing the shoulder bolt that holds the cable to the tiller arm is worn of.

Was at the hardware store and found a bronze bushing that fits perfect any one ever try this.

86 century
03-01-2012, 02:00 PM
I had no clue what size packing to order for the rudder box so I ordered both from dicount inboard marine.

I get a call from them today somehow they know I was gessing and called to make sure I got the correct parts.

Great people

TitanTn
03-01-2012, 08:24 PM
Great people

You said it. These people are super helpful and extremely knowledgable about our boats.