PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Finding Gauges!

R J Young
02-28-2012, 05:38 PM
Hello guys, I have been poking here for a while and learning as much as I can! I recently acquired an 85 Supra SunSport that is (was) being restored, and I am in need of some gauges! Well actually I need the entire gauge cluster! I thought I was going to upgrade to the newer style, but soon found out that the new style gauges will not work on the older PCM motors?:mad: I thought I would pick your guys brain to see what I need to get that will work on my new (old) boat or how I can get the new style gauges to work with the older motor? Thanks in advance! Randal

BTW... There are alot of great looking older boats on here, my hopes are to get this to look close to the ones on here, job well done fellas!

chrisk
02-28-2012, 06:13 PM
This is a good place to start for a lot of inboard parts, glad to have ya on the forum:

http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1018

Hagman
02-29-2012, 11:36 PM
If you're planning to replace all of the gauges. I would first come up with a plan of what gauges by plan to install. Then look for a company that can supply me with the gauges I plan to install . Not all companies make a clock, air temperature gauge ,river water temperature, or a Hobbs meter . I have found that VDO has a good selection.

jet
03-01-2012, 06:20 PM
I think I have seen the whole set on ebay before for about $130-$150, not to bad for all of them. But any gauge company will work..Im 90% sure??

R J Young
03-01-2012, 11:03 PM
Ok guys I am confused? Am I looking for analog gauges or digital? I think the guy from the dealership told me that the new style gauges will not work, theyare digital and I need analog? Sorry for sounding so stupid about motors and stuff, I don't have a clue about these things? I can change the oil, spark plugs etc, but if I don't have a hanes or chilton manual I am screwed!

BTW: Thanks for the replys fellas, I appreciate it!

michael hunter
03-02-2012, 10:19 AM
You can go with either digital or analog . If you want to keep the original look go with analog. I saw some Supra branded gauges on ebay under Supra boat they looked pretty nice.

R J Young
03-02-2012, 11:44 AM
Would I need to do anything different to the wiring block to go with digital, change out senders etc.? I really do like the updated look of digital!

sybrmike
03-02-2012, 12:12 PM
It's easy to get confused by terminology. Guages can have digital or analog displays and/or inputs. All of your original "old style" guages have analog displays (dial face with sweep needle) and analog inputs (voltage, resistance, etc. for the engine and air pressure from the pitot tubes for the speedo's). With a "non-computer" engine, you'll need to stick with analog input guages on the engine. Like Michael H said, you can get analog input engine gauges with digital (LED/LCD) displays for an updated look if you want but they're harder to find & pricier.

The choices for input to the speedometer are air pressure (from original pitot tube pick-up), digital from a paddlewheel (you'd have to drill a hole & install a paddlewheel pick-up), or GPS (pricey).

R J Young
03-02-2012, 12:28 PM
Ahh! Thanks sybrmike, that makes it clear as mud...just kidding! Ok, so yes, I was getting confused with the terminology, now I know what I am looking for! The search is on!

Thank You, to all that have replied, you guys rock! :D

Ptownkid
03-04-2012, 04:16 PM
I searched for about 4 weeks before buying new gauges and these guys were by far the cheapest.

http://www.boatersland.com/

R J Young
03-07-2012, 12:42 AM
I just wanted to update everyone, I bought some nice Faria gauges from West Marine locally! Thanks to everyone for your input and suggestions. I wanted to upgrade to a paddle wheel digital style, but that will have to be on hold for now! I still need to purchase new vinyl and carpet!

BTW: any suggestions on where to get good grade marine carpet cheap?

wotan2525
03-07-2012, 06:30 PM
Can't say that it's "marine" grade carpet, but my Home Depot indoor/outdoor carpet has held up ridiculously well.