PDA

View Full Version : Idling Issue

conbrio90
02-29-2012, 04:47 PM
I have a 1990 Conbrio w/ 351w that has been down for about 6 months because of a broken steering helm and seized up steering cable. I finally got the parts together to fix the steering and put it in the water last Friday and the steering was great but now she doesn't idle very well (if at all) while it is in gear in the water. It Idles fine in neutral and runs good when I am in throttle just not at idle in gear. I am thinking that the carburetor is gummed up from sitting for so long but I wanted to get some of your opinions before I pull it and start cleaning/rebuilding it. Any advice would be appreciated thanks

michael hunter
02-29-2012, 05:02 PM
Did you have stabil in the gas?

Jetlink
02-29-2012, 05:15 PM
What's it idle at RPM wise out of gear?

conbrio90
02-29-2012, 06:46 PM
No I did not have stabil in the gas. Neutral idle is around 300 RPMs

Jetlink
02-29-2012, 06:47 PM
Your idle set screw might be a little on the low side. Hence when you put a load on the engine it bogs down and dies.

conbrio90
03-01-2012, 12:50 PM
Well last night I pulled the carburetor off and cleaned it and put it back on and now the electric choke does not actuate the flapper. It's not stuck or anything it just doesn't actuate.

Salty87
03-01-2012, 01:21 PM
what do you mean by does not actuate? it only moves slowly when warmed up.

choke should be closed when the engine is cold. verify that. you will prob need to move the throttle to set the choke (pump the throttle fully twice and back to idle). if it's not closing all of the way you may need to adjust the choke.

as the engine warms the choke opens. there's not much to see.

your idle should be closer to 700 rpm.

let us know how that goes and we'll adjust the choke next if necessary.

Jetlink
03-01-2012, 02:26 PM
What Salty said... I don't have access to my boat and I can't seem to find the manual but I think the neutral idle is supposed to be around 500-600 RPM as when you place a load on the engine it decreases about 200 RPM. So, if you are currently at a 300RPM idle in neutral, placing a load on it will get it to the point of stalling out. If you adjust the idle set screw on the carb that should address that problem, the choke is a totally different issue.

jet
03-01-2012, 06:12 PM
yes its probably dirty from storage but 300rpm's is TOO low. I like my idle up a lil around 600-700. To set your electric choke let engine sit cold till the next day, loosen the 3 screws on the choke ring and follow the arrow directions on the side of the choke and turn it till its 80-90% closed, then tighten it back up and your good. Next time its been running and warm for 15-30 mins open the air cleaner back up and make sure the choke has opened back up 100%!!

conbrio90
03-02-2012, 08:03 AM
Thanks for the help guys. I am going to adjust the choke when I get home today and see how that works. I will post back with results.
P.S. After I get her running right again she will be for sale. I want something bigger and preferrably V-drive.