PDA

View Full Version : Redesign boat interior

Kracker
03-01-2012, 11:12 PM
Well its the same old story. Want a new boat but dont want the payments. I have a 91 sunsport payed for free of payments :p. Ive had the boat for bout 4 years and love it. the boat is great and runs great. Now the dilemma, Im wanting new interior and thinking of redesigning the layout of it while im into it to give a newer boat feel. Im thinking if the same layout as a Malibu XTI being its a direct drive. Has anyone ever attemted this or think it would it ruin the look of the boat? This is what im looking to do.

michael hunter
03-02-2012, 12:18 AM
That Bu is a much bigger boat also not a very popular design. I dont think you will have the room to pull it off.

sybrmike
03-05-2012, 12:20 PM
Might be tight for space in a Sunsport - you'd hafta lose the rear ski locker & place the rear bench seat on top of the gas tank to gain room between engine and transom.

I'm going the MC X-14 route with my Saltare - replacing the rear corner seats with bench that wraps into a rear facing chaise behind the driver. I wouldn't trade my DD for a VD (handling, engine access, etc.), but it does limit the interior options...

Kracker
03-05-2012, 09:38 PM
yea thats what i had planned. moving my seat over the gas tank. I took the ski locker out last year and put my sub box back there. so losing that space is not a big deal to me.

sybrmike
03-06-2012, 11:08 AM
There'd be some custom framing (over the gas tank to protect the fill/vent/sender, transom seat back, etc). I don't know about the Sunsport, but I'd double check the available length between the back of the engine and transom. Even if there's not enough room for front and rear benches with a footwell, could make another playpen area behind the engine? Not sure where you'd store long items such as skis (or if you even need to)?

I'm changing mine up quite a bit to better suit my family's wants/needs - room for hidden ballast, room for skis (yes we still do), etc. Think it out in advance - how many people typically?, what items do you typically have on board, etc. Make a plan & make it happen. Framing is relatively cheap, but remember custom upholstery with new foam is expensive.

a_deleon
04-11-2012, 04:25 PM
I like that idea I just wonder how to you get to the motor if you ever need to work on it. I guess lifting it straight up is one option but looks like a hassell to me. I like the idea and helps me think of some as I try and design my interior.

jet
04-16-2012, 01:06 PM
Kracker. I use to NOT like the xti's interior and thought it was a dumb idea. BUT!! my buddy boaught one and it IS a damn good design. In a DD boat the middle of the boat is dead space, or a 1-person seat. With the xti it is the sundeck. It brings the girls up close and then you have enough room for a party in the back of the boat. And when you want to get out of the sun the sundeck is shaded also. Very user friendly, very good design, it just didnt catch on.