PDA

View Full Version : pulling my boat off the trailer?

ddb0
03-02-2012, 02:23 AM
so i wann pull my boat off the trailer so i can do some work to the trailer ( repaint, new fenders rear prop guard, ect.). and idea or sugestions on how to do this with out dammaging it? i have a cherry picker and jacks and what not just dont know where to start and i know some of you on here have done it before. thanks for the help

FULL-THROTTLE
03-02-2012, 08:01 AM
I did this last summer on my 1986 Sunsport, it's not hard but tedious. I started by jacking up the rear of the boat and supporting it with stands, then jacked up the front and slowly moved the trailer inches at a time, it requires you to move the jack and support the boat many times. It took almost an hour, but slow and tedious means no damage.

If you go this route have plenty of help.

Good Luck.

csuggs
03-02-2012, 09:22 AM
If you use a cherry picker or hoist, be sure to use a spreader so you are lifting vertically above the bow and stern lifting points.

michael hunter
03-02-2012, 09:32 AM
Go to your dealer and see if they will remove and store it off the trailer for a fee. You could also ask a dry stack marina if they can do short term.

DAFF
03-02-2012, 10:22 AM
Tie the transome to a tree and pull. The mud will be soft so don't worry about the rudder prop.

Sorry I could not resist. The most important part is the anchor idea. As long as the friction is resuced from the hull to the bunks of the trailer all will be good. The marina of your choice also is a good idea.

ddb0
03-02-2012, 07:04 PM
yeah its a bummer i used to live where i had my own dock but no where to do the work on the trailer now i have room to work on the trailer but 30 min from the lake lol. im sure i will get it figured out i like the idea of taking it to a shop and seeing how much they will charge to keep it there for a week or so

wiatowski
03-02-2012, 09:27 PM
I was going to crank the front jack all the way down, block up the back and then lift the front of the boat on the lifting ring and drive the trailer out.

DAFF
03-03-2012, 12:12 AM
Jay,
With all the heavy eqipment at your moms use the lift rings located on the front and rear of the boat.

wiatowski
03-03-2012, 09:47 AM
Jay,
With all the heavy eqipment at your moms use the lift rings located on the front and rear of the boat.

Ya I know, but I was going to do it at my place... I have a small Kabota that I could pick the front up with... I want to buff, and polish it before it hits the water this year. :)
Still haven't sold the Bayliner....anyone know someone in Ontario who's looking?

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-boats-watercraft-powerboats-motorboats-Bayliner-Capris-Bowrider-Runabout-with-Wakeboard-tower-W0QQAdIdZ355445114

jet
03-03-2012, 05:31 PM
Dude I am in the same boat as you. Get it? lol. I want to do my own painting in my garage and the trailer is a good place to start. I dont have a close place to drop her off and my HOA wont let me keep it in the drive way for longer than 2-days. Lets keep this thread going. Im starting to think Im going to have to do it with a air brush sprayer and paper the boat off and do small sections and then wetsand later to blend it?? HELP US?? Jet

Jetlink
03-03-2012, 07:32 PM
I dont have a close place to drop her off and my HOA wont let me keep it in the drive way for longer than 2-days.Jet, do the bylaws of the HOA spell out specifically that it can't be in the driveway for more than two days or just out front for two days? What about off to the side of the house? :D

jet
03-03-2012, 08:18 PM
Its worse than that. They made it a law for mckinney. I can get ticketed by my hoa or the cops. Its hard core up here in mckinney. Gang sign insert "WEST MCKINNEY. yea boi" that what im sayin.

wiatowski
03-03-2012, 09:53 PM
Funny where I live you might get a ticket if you don't have something sitting in your front yard on blocks! :lol:

jet
03-04-2012, 12:26 AM
Lmao!!!!.................

premierproperties
03-04-2012, 12:31 PM
I'm looking to do the same at the moment....I called a local boat Stealer who would have a lift available, they wanted $150 to lift the boat off and store it for a week. I think I'll use my skid loader and set the boat on cinder blocks/wood.

premierproperties
03-10-2012, 12:50 PM
boat is off the trailer.....
1-Attach rear lift rings to tow strap and pull boat off the trailer about 2 ft to place cinder blocks under stern
2-Detach trailer from truck and lower jack all the way down
3-Insert blocks and wedge under rear corners and raise jack all the way up to transfer weight to blocks.
4-Raise front of boat and pull trailer out( I cheated and used my skid loader.....took a total of 40 mins)

wiatowski
03-10-2012, 02:08 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking of doing

jet
03-10-2012, 03:02 PM
Well we all know how to do it with light or heavy machinery, we are trying to figure out a safe way to do it in a normal size garage or on the driveway WITHOUT a container mover.

Hagman
03-10-2012, 04:28 PM
Getting a comp off of it’s trailer is easier than it sounds. It’s best to do it on level concrete. All you need is two jack stands and a floor jack some scrap pieces of plywood and scrap pieces of carpet to protect the haul . Two floor jacks makes it even easier.
Drop the tongue of your trailer all the way to the ground. Block the back of the boat with the two jack stands just inside of the exhaust ports. Now jack the front of the trailer as far up as you can lift it with your trailers front wheel . Now Lift the front of the boat with the floor jack at the center of the keel as forward as you feel comfortable with. At this point all the weight should be off of the trailer and you can pull the trailer forward to just short of your floor jack. Now either block the boat up with something or take a second floor jack and move it just behind across been of your trailer. Keep alternating the front support under the keel as needed to get past all of the cross supports on your trailer. Once the trailer is out from under the boat block the boat on its outside edges and remove the center for jack. Take care to block the front edge as not to twist the boat.
Once you get all the things you need the whole process only takes about ½ hour. It sounds scary, but it’s easy.

haugy
03-10-2012, 05:29 PM
I just pull the boat off in the water, and either borrow a trailer to put it on, or park it in the water fro 2 days. Get in, get the trailer done, and get out.

jet
03-13-2012, 10:42 AM
Thats what Im talking about. Confidence and experience. Thats what I need before I tri something like this. I always figure, if you can do it. So can I. lol. Thanks Man.

Getting a comp off of it’s trailer is easier than it sounds. It’s best to do it on level concrete. All you need is two jack stands and a floor jack some scrap pieces of plywood and scrap pieces of carpet to protect the haul . Two floor jacks makes it even easier.
Drop the tongue of your trailer all the way to the ground. Block the back of the boat with the two jack stands just inside of the exhaust ports. Now jack the front of the trailer as far up as you can lift it with your trailers front wheel . Now Lift the front of the boat with the floor jack at the center of the keel as forward as you feel comfortable with. At this point all the weight should be off of the trailer and you can pull the trailer forward to just short of your floor jack. Now either block the boat up with something or take a second floor jack and move it just behind across been of your trailer. Keep alternating the front support under the keel as needed to get past all of the cross supports on your trailer. Once the trailer is out from under the boat block the boat on its outside edges and remove the center for jack. Take care to block the front edge as not to twist the boat.
Once you get all the things you need the whole process only takes about ½ hour. It sounds scary, but it’s easy.