PDA

View Full Version : first boat 86 supra sunsport

sitdownsteve
03-04-2012, 01:21 AM
so i ended up buying this boat, 86 supra sunsport and i have not really been around boats much in my life, so my question is what are some common things besides stringers that go wrong or i should look at before taking this boat out

TitanTn
03-04-2012, 09:32 PM
Show us some pics of the new boat.

sitdownsteve
03-14-2012, 06:37 PM
Well just sunk my boat, seems you need a boat plug, geuss that was on the check list before going out that I never knew about

chrisk
03-14-2012, 07:25 PM
Please tell me you didn't actually sink it!

Hagman
03-14-2012, 07:25 PM
Well just sunk my boat, seems you need a boat plug, geuss that was on the check list before going out that I never knew aboutI think every Boat owner I know has more than one I forgot my plugs stories I know I have a few . Well you have your first one . Now you’re a member of our club. Hope it didn’t cause too much damage. I found a long time ago it was best for me to have a routine that I follow. I repeat I follow every time. Your buddies will show up all excited and want to help you. Just tell them no thank you I have a routine I need to follow. I can’t tell you how many times I have had friends help me and something gets forgotten.
Please send pictures of your new ride

sitdownsteve
03-14-2012, 07:48 PM
Yes water came over the back seat, seems there is a plug under the swim deck but what the f is the hole/ threaded plug in front of the motor

sitdownsteve
03-14-2012, 09:10 PM
Not on the motor in front of it on the floor there was a hole that water was pouring in from that was threaded on the top side plus there was no plug in the back of the boat

lively
03-14-2012, 09:15 PM
yes you have middle bilge and transom plug http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1004 this is where your middle plug looks like .. prob 3/4 but i would measure before ordering and then u can get a standard boat transom plug from just about anywhere ebay , skidim, local boat shop .....http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=transom+plug+&_sacat=See-All-Categories or get one here...

and if it happens again just buy more insurance :D!!! lol hope it all works out for ya

sitdownsteve
03-14-2012, 09:43 PM
Well after 20min on the ramp it all drained out, went to Walmart got two plugs put them in dropped it back in still hooked to the trailer this time and had no water intake... It didn't want to run right though anymore probably took some water in the carb but I then found out while it was sitting there running the the steering cable was locked up so now to replace that dry and clean the intake filter and carb new cable and gonna give it another go, can't get much worse than it has been but if it does she is covered for 10grand $$$$

Jetlink
03-14-2012, 09:48 PM
Yeah, I never touch the bilge plug either.This is probably where we will agree to disagree but, I leave the transom plug in all the time and remove the bilge plug when not on the water. When I take it out, I toss it up on the intake manifold and that is where it stays. This forces me to open the doghouse before I drop in and check the whole bilge to make sure I don't have any odd fumes or other stuff in there. To each their own and like Hagman said, get a routine and stick to it. This falls under my routine.

lbagby
04-24-2012, 04:57 PM
That middle bilge plug also serves the purpose of draining the engine oil. If you have all the original parts there is a short flexible hose that runs from what would be the engine oil drain plug upwards and is usually attached somewhere on the front part of the engine with a zip tie. By cutting the zip tie you then thread the oil drain hose down through the bilge drain hole, unscrew the hose cap and drain the oil into a suitable container. A supra shop would just pump the oil out as it takes a while for that small diameter drain hose to drain all the oil out, but it does work.

86 comp

csuggs
04-25-2012, 08:30 AM
That middle bilge plug also serves the purpose of draining the engine oil. If you have all the original parts there is a short flexible hose that runs from what would be the engine oil drain plug upwards and is usually attached somewhere on the front part of the engine with a zip tie. By cutting the zip tie you then thread the oil drain hose down through the bilge drain hole, unscrew the hose cap and drain the oil into a suitable container. A supra shop would just pump the oil out as it takes a while for that small diameter drain hose to drain all the oil out, but it

86 comp. Same. Use the bilge plug for draining oil - nothing else.