PDA

View Full Version : Swim Platform Bar

88 Supra Comp
06-25-2005, 09:57 PM
Hello Group!

This is my first post, and already with questions.

I am the new owner, and although it is probably old compared to many of the boats discussed on this board, of a 1988 Supra Comp TS6M.

Love the boat. Although a little old.......it is in excellent condition.

Question:
My first mishap! Makes me sick. We were at a new launch ramp earlier this evening, very busy, tons of people, and too many waves, etc... Long story short.....I managed to bang the back of the swim platform into a concrete pole in the water. (makes me sick, been boating for years, can't believe this happened, thought I was "smarter" than this) Anyway, the "pipe", or stainless pole surrounding the swimplatform did it's job, however it is now bent in.

Any ideas if I can take this off and straighten it, of should I try and buy a new one. Not even sure if Supra still makes replacement swimplatform parts for an 88 boat.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks!

88 Supra Comp
06-26-2005, 09:18 PM
Seeing lots of reads, but no posts.......would a pic help?

DKJBama92Mariah
06-26-2005, 09:53 PM
A pic would help immensely. I'm assuming the platform is fiberglass. You could probably just unbolt the rail and bend it back, patch any cracks in the fiberglass, and remount the bar. Post a pic and lets see what ya got though.

Cheers,
DKJ

selle92
06-27-2005, 02:39 PM
I've got this problem too. Though I bought mine with a minor bend in the rail.

To be honest, I haven't looked under the platform yet. Mines pretty minor and just didn't think about doing it until winter.

sounds like you have a fiberglass one like mine.

I am also assuming (haven't looked) the metal grab rails are just bolted on underneath.

If so, Just unbolt them, bend it out if not kinked, and re attach.

I'm going to look into this myself tonight or tomorrow since my prop is off being repaired.

I'll let you know my outcome, as well as follow the tread for any other suggestions people have to your post.

Joe

88 Supra Comp
06-27-2005, 03:11 PM
DKJBama92Mariah ,

Thanks! Came home early today, my wife was not feeling well, will try and get a pic as soon as I can.

Sele92,

Agree, it is just bolted on. If you try to re-bend yours, let me know how it works out. My concern was, if I took it off to re-bend, I would need to attach it to something solid to bend it back, or I would risk "warping" the whole thing, or making it no longer "square", ie...afraid I would fix the bend, but screw up to overall shape so it would no longer line up to bolt back on.

Thanks!

selle92
06-27-2005, 04:31 PM
yeah, it could be tricky.

is it in the center of the platform or to either side?

Mine is driver side between the first attachment and the end just before it rounds the corner.

I'm pretty sure the tube is hollow, so light compression may work so not to kink it.

Depending on where its located, you could unbolt a few and keep some attached to bend it out.

in my case, unbolt the 1-2 on the side and lightly bend it backward, then push forward to reattach the 1-2 on the side. Just hope it doesn't end up cracking or put to much stress on the fiberglass.

Will have to assess it better tonight. Didn't think much about it til I saw your topic.

Good luck getting it out.

88 Supra Comp
06-27-2005, 11:48 PM
O.K.

Here is one pic.

Top View

88 Supra Comp
06-27-2005, 11:49 PM
.......and another view:

"Side View"

selle92
06-28-2005, 09:22 AM
Ouch. That is a little worse than mine and more centered on the platform.

I didn't get around to it last night. Got my prop back from the shop and put that on, but then it started to rain and I didn't get time to even get out and try out the prop... Maybe tonight I'll check into it more.

I just don't know the best way to tackle this.

88 Supra Comp
06-28-2005, 02:06 PM
I called Supra.....just to see if they sell just the bar that is around the platform. Answer: Not any more.

They do sell a replacement teak platform for around $500.

Think I will try and fix, or live with for a while first.

Had a guy I work with suggest a good possible why to fix, without even removing. If try, will update with how it goes, but may be a week or so before I try.

crnsuperduty
06-29-2005, 09:20 AM
Piece of cake!!!! Mine was much much worse than that when I bought it. I had to re-glass a bunch of mine and bend the bar back to straight. The bar just unbolts with about 8 bots underneath. I put mine on a pipe bender and bent it right again. Then bolted it back together when the glass was done. I could put it on my pipe bender here if you need me too. I guess shipping might be a pain.

A little side note. I called hydroturf and bought some new mat for mine. I cut it to fit, and it looks great!! Better than new.

06-29-2005, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by crnsuperduty

Piece of cake!!!! Mine was much much worse than that when I bought it. I had to re-glass a bunch of mine and bend the bar back to straight. The bar just unbolts with about 8 bots underneath. I put mine on a pipe bender and bent it right again. Then bolted it back together when the glass was done. I could put it on my pipe bender here if you need me too. I guess shipping might be a pain.

A little side note. I called hydroturf and bought some new mat for mine. I cut it to fit, and it looks great!! Better than new.

Good to know. My only concern with bending it with it off, was that I would end up bending the bolt attachments so they were no longer perpendicuclar to the platform. May just have to give it a shot. Did you heat it at all before bending?

Also....any pics of your replaced hydroturf? Is it "softer" than the original hard plastic that seems to be there now?

Thanks!

88 Supra Comp
06-29-2005, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by crnsuperduty

My only concern with bending it with the bar unattached was that I would end up also bending the bolt attachments so they were no longer perpendicular to the platform. Guess I may just have to try it.

Also do you have any pics of your new hydroturf, and is it softer than the original hard plastic that seems to be on mine now?

crnsuperduty
06-29-2005, 11:53 AM
that is a valid concern. I didn't have to worry about that, mine was so bad I had to drill the new holes anyhow. I don't have any pics here at work, but I'll try to get some up. I don't know how the stock plastic is because mine was gone, but the hydroturf is pretty nice. The price wasn't as bad as the gator grip either.

88 Supra Comp
06-29-2005, 05:40 PM
Thanks. Interested to see how it looks!

88 Supra Comp
07-18-2005, 03:46 PM
Hey.....have to post some new pics..........but got it fixed!

Took it off and bent it back on a buddy's 50 Ton Steel Press.

Looks great now! :)

DKJBama92Mariah
07-18-2005, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by 88 Supra Comp

50 Ton Steel Press.

Yep, that oughtta get the job done. I could definitely use a friend with cool toys like that. I was thinking you could just use a couple 2x4 blocks of wood and a vice.

Cheers,
DKJ