PDA

View Full Version : Bad Ground?

chautauquasun
03-04-2012, 08:06 PM
Ever since I pulled the motor to redo the stringers and floor my tach has not worked or has worked intermittenly. I suspect that it is a loose or bad ground but am not sure how to trace it or where the ground is that would run the tach. Also I had a issue a few times last year with the popping the engine breaker. I would then have to reset it to restart the motor. Again, i suspect a loose or bad ground. Can any one help me with testing or tracing this issue...what I should check and look for? thanks. I am running a 1984 Supra Rider with a 351 PCM motor. thanks!!

wotan2525
03-05-2012, 04:43 PM
Sounds like one of your power cables may be grounding out somewhere. Look around the moving and hot parts of the engine to see if there is a melted cable or frayed cable anywhere. Check around the alternator pulleys, water pump and anywhere that cables get near the heads or exhaust manifolds. Wiggle your battery cables and make sure they are not stiff and/or loose. If they are, replace them.

DAFF
03-07-2012, 12:28 AM
A loose wire positive or negative can create a amperage spike and create alot of excess heat in the wire. This extra amperage is more than likely your breaker issue. As for the tach clean and inspect the terminals on the coil and replace any worn or tired connections. If the Tech is still intermittant then remove the backing plate from the dash and inspect the wiring on the back side of the tack. It could be the tach going bad too, age is not on its side.

chautauquasun
03-14-2012, 12:22 AM
thanks guys. I will go over all of the wiring and see if I can find anything unusual. Like I said, I am not an electrician but the wiring doesnt seem overly complex. thanks for the advice. Summer will be here soon. :-)

Hagman
03-14-2012, 12:51 AM
thanks guys. I will go over all of the wiring and see if I can find anything unusual. Like I said, I am not an electrician but the wiring doesnt seem overly complex. thanks for the advice. Summer will be here soon. :-)If you have a ohm / volt meter. It would help. You could get a cheap one at radio shack. Maybe 20 bucks.