PDA

View Full Version : Recessing batteries

Burke
03-05-2012, 09:46 PM
I have an '07 Supra 21V, and I've always wanted to relocate the batteries to gain more storage in the observers seat compartment. One thing I noticed at the boat show this year was that some manufacturers will recess the plastic battery box into the floor to fit under seats. I've been thinking that if I could do that, I could put it underneath the observers seat, right in front of the cooler.

Anybody done this? Is there a way to find the schematics for what is under the floor in that spot?

KG's Supra24
03-05-2012, 11:03 PM
I moved mine onto the "hump" at the back of the observers seat storage, right against the back of the bow seats. Ended up building a little bit of a platform for it to work but I gained room. Ended up putting an amp rack in front of it to hide them.

Burke
04-13-2012, 01:16 AM
I thought I'd post up what I ended up doing. Turned out pretty good so far. I picked up two Optima group 31 blue tops, which just so happen to fit nicely under the observers seat. I had to rerun the power and ground for the instrument cluster, as well as for the stereo setup. I also added a breaker to each battery. With the way things are positioned, when the observers seat bottom is in place, you can see the perko switch and that's it. Made for a pretty clean compartment. Next up is a plexi cover to go over the top of the batteries, and then on to cleaning up the wiring for the amps and finishing up the amp racks.

cigars n scotch
04-13-2012, 09:47 AM
Looks good. How much did those blue tops run you?

I have a 08 21v so it basically looks the same. I'm installing a second battery to power the stereo system I'm also installing, so this gives me some ideas.

Burke
04-13-2012, 02:34 PM
I picked them up at AutoZone for $230 a piece. I did a bunch of research (mostly on Wakeworld) around the best batteries. Opinions seemed to be both good and bad on Optimas. I've had mixed results with yellow tops in the past, so we'll see how the blue tops do.

Jetlink
04-13-2012, 09:10 PM
Been awhile but I think I ran blue tops in all my plow trucks and loved every minute of it.