PDA

View Full Version : 91 Comp leaking

bri91comp
06-27-2005, 03:16 PM
My 91 comp takes on water while running between 15-20mph. I doesn't seem to happen at very slow speeds or at speeds above 20-25mph. The packing was leaking, so I replaced it with a PSS dripless seal and thought that it would solve the problem. Unfortunately it didn't and it seems to be getting worse. If I tow a wakeboarder then I get a lot of water in the boat. If I tow a skier I don't seem to bet any and if I do it's minimal. I read a post that the water could be coming in from under the rubrail. Is this any easy fix? I have not taken the rubrail off before. Anything I should know? Any other ideas of where the water may be coming from.

Thanks,

Brian

Salty87
06-28-2005, 02:00 PM
the fact that you're getting more at slower speeds could indicate the rubrail. are you sure the boarder isn't just bringing in more water? have you looked around the engine and bilge for signs of water trickling in? you could try spraying a hose at the rub rail, on the trailer, and seeing if you get any in the bilge. there isn't any other way that i know to test it.

to seal the rub rail, you don't need to take it off. you do need to get as much of the old sealant off as you can though. the new sealant won't stick ontop of the old junk. i used silicone, you don't want a permanent seal so don't use 3M 5200 or anything like that. apply it to the bottom edge of the rail where it meets the hull.

crnsuperduty
06-29-2005, 09:28 AM
I had to do this to my 85 comp last year. Make sure the old stuff is gone. I used some nylon rope to fill some of the space, then packed clear silicone over it. It worked very well, make sure it is very dry before you put the boat in the water to try it. I had to re-do mine because I rushed the first time.

bri91comp
06-29-2005, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Salty87

are you sure the boarder isn't just bringing in more water? have you looked around the engine and bilge for signs of water trickling in?

The water comes in the boat regardless of whether or not I'm actually towing someone. It just so happens that at lower speeds more water seems to be entering the boat. I've ruled out the exhaust, because I assume that the faster I go the more water that would be leaking if there was a problem with the exhaust.

I'll scrape the old sealant off and reapply. Hopefully that will solve the problem.

Thanks,

Brian

88 Supra Comp
06-29-2005, 05:55 PM
O.K....I think I have the same issue. Guy I bought it from actually told me he thought it was coming in through the rub rail.

I'll look tonight...........but I don't remember seeing any "sealant" around the rub rail. (or maybe this is my problem)

Should I? Does anyoen have a pic of a repaired rub rail.....or can you "see" the difference?