PDA

View Full Version : 1989 Supra Mariah

murnmill
03-06-2012, 10:44 PM
What can anyone tell me about the Mariah? I got my eye on one. What's good/bad or things to watch out for?

86 century
03-06-2012, 11:38 PM
I am pretty sure the maria is the openbow sister to my bravura.

The floor and stringers are wood core so check them close.
Try giving the motor mount lag bolts a turn
If there are any soft spots in the floor most of the time you will have stringer rot.

I think the freeboard is between the comp and sunsport havent been able track down any hard proof though.
Good luck

murnmill
03-07-2012, 06:35 PM
What's the difference between the Mariah and Sunsport. Interior looks to be about the same, but is the Sunsport a deeper hull?

86 century
03-07-2012, 07:11 PM
I would love for some one to answer that one. This is how mine sets in the water hope it helps.
http://i916.photobucket.com/albums/ad7/thehippy77/5V25P15R43n33mc3p0ba46281c4cf84fe134a-1.jpg

Im trying to find a starting point for ballast but info on the maria/bravura is a little hard to come by.

sybrmike
03-07-2012, 08:19 PM
Per the '90 manual

Sunsport/Marauder - Mariah/Bravura

Length 20' 3-1/2" - 20' 10"
Width (beam) 96" - 95"
Width (transom) 81" - 82"
Draft (at stop) 24" - 20"
Depth (amidship) 48" - 36"
Weight 2950 - 2800

wspeedin
03-08-2012, 12:06 PM
murnmill, did you post this in WakeWorld as well? If so, Im the guy on there that was answering your questions. You have come to the right place, here you can find many many people with knowledge of these boats. A guy on here named haugy used to own a really nice Mariah and he would know everything baout that boat for you. The Bravura is the same boat but a closed bow.
The sunsport is a great boat. 20' and a deep freeboard. To get an idea of how much it would have vs another I have attached a picture of the Sunsport's bigger brother, the Saltare. It should sit in the water very similar to the sunsport, it is just a few feet longer in the bow.
http://i1112.photobucket.com/albums/k483/wspeedin/DSCN0417.jpg

haugy
03-08-2012, 05:41 PM
The Mariah is in between the Sunsport and Comp.

The Mariah is the same length as the Sunsport, but sits much lower in the water than the Sunsport. The freeboard is about 4.5-5 inches lower in the Mariah. Which may not seem like much, but it is. The storage on the Mariah is much less than the Sunsport as well. You will get water on the back passengers, unless you are on glass, and I mean glass. It's a fact, nothing you can do about it. If the water is choppy, those in the back are getting very wet.

Pro's to this are you have a very nimble and fast boat.

Cons, you can only put so much ballast in it (1200lbs to be exact), and that's it before it can't pull onto plane, or it sinks from water coming over the back. It's possible, but very difficult to get a big wake out of it. It will provide a solid wake, but not big. This boat also sits so low that you better know how to drive one or you will put the bow underwater constantly. It sits so low like the Comp that if you take waves head on at low speed, they are going over the bow, big time.

Other than that, they are great boats. They do tend to ride rough in big choppy waters, but I loved mine, and sometimes do miss it's nimble agility. With the 351w they have plenty of pep and will jump out of the hole like a jackrabbit. They can be great boats. But if your choices included a Sunport as the alternative, go for the Sunsport.

Things to watch out for on Mariah:

-Wood floors and stringers of course
-rotten front cushions from submarining the boat too many times
-rotten rear hatch from getting backwashed
-broken driver seat mount

The rest is standard Supra inspections. Floor, engine mounts, engine, tranny, electrical, etc. Nothing special or problematic about them.

But they can look damn good when cleaned up.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Boat%20pics/Supraonwater.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Boat%20pics/P1050920.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Boat%20pics/-5.jpg

And here it is next to a Launch. Tough pic in the dark with a digital camera. But you can see the height difference.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Boat%20pics/P1050336.jpg

haugy
03-08-2012, 05:45 PM
This might help.

Here are two pictures. One of my old Mariah, and one of my current Saltare. Both were taken from the door of my shop, at the same distances. As you can see, the Mariah is much smaller in length, but look at how high the sides of the boat are on the trailer.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Boat%20pics/P1050902.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Saltare/IMG_20110526_131904.jpg

86 century
03-08-2012, 06:26 PM
What tower is that on your mariah.

Looks good on there

murnmill
03-08-2012, 06:46 PM
wspeedin,

No, that isn't me on Wakeworld. There are 3 nice Supras that I got my eye on. All are the same asking price, each have pros and cons.

1. 1989 Mariah clean with 532 hours
2. 1990 Mariah clean with 187 original hours
3. 1992 comp super clean 600ish hours I think. closed bow, but I believe it has composite floor and fiberglass wrapped stringer?
4. 1990 Sunsport clean with 502 hours.

I really like the open bow idea, but don't want a floor/stringer project a few years down the road. The 1992 comp would ease my fears of that, but I might regret not buying an open bow.

How's the performance of a Sunsport vs. the Mariah do you think? I'm guessing a bit slower?

haugy
03-08-2012, 10:09 PM
Definitely not a slow boat by any means. It's got the same performance, but it will feel a bit heavier. The Sunsports I've driven were all very quick, and handled great. Now my big ole Saltare definitely is a big boat, but the 454 still makes it jump up fast.

The Comp is like a ferrari, the Sunsport will be like a pickup truck. The Comp will be fast and handle well, but you can only do so much with it. The Sunsport will handle well, can go fast, but can haul and can tow, and is much roomier.

187 hours on a 1990 Mariah???? That boat should be in pristine shape, or is a wreck. Post some pics of the boats you're looking at. I understand if you don't want to show the direct links, that's fine. But show us the pics of the boats. It's amazing what we can tell just from looking at them.

There is no question that the Sunsport would by my first choice. While I loved my old Comp, I would not recommend that to someone if a bigger brother is available.

murnmill
03-11-2012, 09:37 PM
Haugy,

turns out that it's actually a 1991.89968996899789988999

BigCity444
03-12-2012, 05:53 AM
Great color. I'm in full support of what Haugy pointed out. The bow will take some pretty small waves over the bow and it's near impossible to get a wave out it. Nice family boat for all purpose on a lake that doesn't get really rough.

whelchel86
03-12-2012, 11:21 AM
I vote Sunsport

murnmill
03-12-2012, 11:42 AM
86 Century,

does you mariah really take water over the bow like I've been hearing? In your experience do the back seat passengers get a lot of spray?

haugy
03-12-2012, 03:23 PM
86 Century,

does you mariah really take water over the bow like I've been hearing? In your experience do the back seat passengers get a lot of spray?

Yes, on both counts. If you weren't careful you would take tons of water over the bow. I accidentally did it from time to time. But it was annoying having to gas it real quick if big waves were coming. In some situations you look like a jerk, and it beats the crap out of you too.

If the water was smooth, and I mean glass smooth, the passengers in my back seat would stay dry. But if there was any kind of wind and chop, they were getting drenched.

One of the reasons I like my Saltare now, dry to the bone.

Jetlink
03-12-2012, 03:29 PM
One of the reasons I like my Saltare now, BAD to the bone.There, fixed it for you Haugy. :D

haugy
03-12-2012, 03:36 PM
There, fixed it for you Haugy. :D

:) Nice.

And for those reading and learning, please don't take my comments on the Mariah as negative. I really do miss mine. That boat never failed me, and always did everything that I needed from it. I had some of the best memories on that boat. Coyote ugly girls hanging from the tower half naked, girls sitting on the tower in bikinis, sunning on the back, taking some friends of mine from Australia out on the water in TN for a good time. Even met my wife on that boat.

They, just like all the older Supras are magnificent boats. But they each have their purpose and suited skillset. As many are looking for cruisers and wakeboard boats, or both. I try to inform people about these boats as best as possible so that these old classics find a happy owner, not a dissappointed one. The Comps/Conbrios and Mariah/Bravuras are very awesome boats.

86 century
03-12-2012, 08:34 PM
I am yet to take water over the bow but with only an hours worth of use I would say it is more of a when not if.

The back seats are a wet ride in a windy chop.

Hagman
03-12-2012, 09:16 PM
:) Nice.

And for those reading and learning, please don't take my comments on the Mariah as negative. I really do miss mine. That boat never failed me, and always did everything that I needed from it. I had some of the best memories on that boat. Coyote ugly girls hanging from the tower half naked, girls sitting on the tower in bikinis, sunning on the back, taking some friends of mine from Australia out on the water in TN for a good time. Even met my wife on that boat.

They, just like all the older Supras are magnificent boats. But they each have their purpose and suited skillset. As many are looking for cruisers and wakeboard boats, or both. I try to inform people about these boats as best as possible so that these old classics find a happy owner, not a dissappointed one. The Comps/Conbrios and Mariah/Bravuras are very awesome boats.I’m curious how is the water ski wake behind and Mariah / Bravura compared to a Comp. If I were to change boats to get more room I would probably pick one of these two, Bravura being my first choice. I know most people would rather have an Open bow but I’m not most people. I’ve always liked that low sleek look . And how much room is in the bow of a bravura is there enough room to lay down.

86 century
03-13-2012, 02:26 AM
The wake at around 22 with the plate all the way down is flat nice for an old wanabe skier like myself. With the plate all the way up no ballast is good for me then again I just made the change from a 4cyl I/O so almost any thing looks huge.

Im 6'2 about 210 I can change out of my wet suit up there. My 3yo loves it say he likes dads new boat with the bed room.
The plan as of now is to put one of the flyhigh mastercraft openbow sacks up there I hope if it doesnt make it ride to low.

Thats what got me the thing looks fast just sitting on the trailer.

haugy
03-13-2012, 09:22 AM
I’m curious how is the water ski wake behind and Mariah / Bravura compared to a Comp. If I were to change boats to get more room I would probably pick one of these two, Bravura being my first choice. I know most people would rather have an Open bow but I’m not most people. I’ve always liked that low sleek look . And how much room is in the bow of a bravura is there enough room to lay down.

The wakes are very similar. I was always impressed when I put it at 30mph and the wake would be very small and crisp with the trim tab UP versus down or mid-level for a skiier. When I put it mid-level, and got up to 35mph, the wake was barely there. Great boat for skiing behind.

There will be a bit more room, but not as much as you think. A lot of the length comes in at the bow and width. Plus the seats on my Mariah are the split-V seats that can really only hold two people comfortably. Versus the comp with the rear bench. One of the reasons I like the Sunsports so much vs. the Saltares. Sunsports have the rear bench. Saltares have the V-split seats. The boat is wider than a Comp so it is bigger. The freeboard is not much more than an inch or two more than the Comp.

As for the bow space, yeah if you're not a big person you could lay in there, if it's completely empty. But your head would be sticking out the hatch area. I could lay down in my Mariah with my toes at the tip of the cushions in the bow, and my head was right there where the center walk through ended and the main floor started. But I wouldn't recommend it. It's more for storage.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Boat%20pics/-6.jpg

sybrmike
03-13-2012, 04:21 PM
Damn Haugy, she sure was one fine looking boat! Hope you don't miss her too much. I think the Comp was the sexiest closed bow on the water & the Mariah took top honors for open bow.

If you don't like the rear corner seats in the Salt, change em out for a bench. Wotan's has one & I'm doing similar to mine - although based on posts in other threads, I may be wading into sacrilegious Supra waters...

royshields
03-13-2012, 10:33 PM
Hello Haugy....Boy, you have quite a reputation when it comes to Mariah's. I'm desperately looking for one. It has to be really clean and I'm willing to pay the price. Age dictates that I don't want repairs and I know just cruise and take in the scenery. My water ski days are over.
If you have anything to sell or can assist me in a purchase it would be greatly appreciated.
Look forward to your reply, Roy
[email protected]
Phone: 1-867-873-5080

Hagman
03-14-2012, 12:44 AM
Thank you for your reply. I’ve been curious about the Mariah and Bravura four years. Where I boat it’s about 2 hours to the next big city and I don’t see very many Super owners. There are two Sunsport owners neither of which appreciate what they have and one comp, besides me. I live deep in Master Kraft country. PS nice Mariah

The wakes are very similar. I was always impressed when I put it at 30mph and the wake would be very small and crisp with the trim tab UP versus down or mid-level for a skiier. When I put it mid-level, and got up to 35mph, the wake was barely there. Great boat for skiing behind.

There will be a bit more room, but not as much as you think. A lot of the length comes in at the bow and width. Plus the seats on my Mariah are the split-V seats that can really only hold two people comfortably. Versus the comp with the rear bench. One of the reasons I like the Sunsports so much vs. the Saltares. Sunsports have the rear bench. Saltares have the V-split seats. The boat is wider than a Comp so it is bigger. The freeboard is not much more than an inch or two more than the Comp.

As for the bow space, yeah if you're not a big person you could lay in there, if it's completely empty. But your head would be sticking out the hatch area. I could lay down in my Mariah with my toes at the tip of the cushions in the bow, and my head was right there where the center walk through ended and the main floor started. But I wouldn't recommend it. It's more for storage.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Boat%20pics/-6.jpg