PDA

View Full Version : Stringer Glass laying??

jet
03-07-2012, 03:45 PM
Hey guys, question. Im starting to lay glass on the stringers:

do i lay 3-diff layers one at a time drying in between?

or lay a lot of glass and put 3-layers on at one time??

why are my fingers sticking to the keyboard??

DAFF
03-07-2012, 04:11 PM
I like to brush the area with resin then stick the glass to it. Then add more resin to the top of the glass making sure the air is removed and there is a good cohesion between the surface resin and glass. Repeat two or three times running the cloth at different angle to each other expecially in the high strength areas. There might be better ways to do it but this method works the best for me. Expecially when working up side down or when the force of gravity is against you.

jet
03-07-2012, 04:56 PM
Right but are we drying in between?? thats the part im confused on?

wspeedin
03-07-2012, 05:10 PM
no drying in between. if you did let it dry in between layers than you would have to sand and clean each time.
So....no, do all layers when it is wet

sybrmike
03-07-2012, 06:10 PM
Same as above, lay as much as you can at once - but try to squeegee out as much resin as you can. Too much resin actually weakens the layup. In addition to coating the surface with resin, you can pre-wet the cloth to get it saturated (helps with the bubbles). A flat surface covered in 5 mil plastic works good as a wetting bench. Sand (at least knock down the high spots) and clean (acetone wipe) if you need to add layers after it's kicked.