PDA

View Full Version : Wet Sanding? Who needs it.

wiatowski
03-07-2012, 06:53 PM
Don't know if anyone has tried Buff Magic but the results are staggering.
Though I'd try it on the Bayliner... heck I'm selling it anyways....or am I? Super easy to do, I only had time to do one side today and I only took an hour.
Check the results;

wiatowski
03-07-2012, 06:58 PM
And these too. The last one was just buy hand, I found even buffing buy hand doesn't take that much effort. That's just the Buff Magic it doesn't even have polish on it... yet.

TitanTn
03-07-2012, 09:20 PM
Looks good. I wonder how long it lasts.

wiatowski
03-07-2012, 09:28 PM
there's a polymer polish that goes to finish it. Suppose to last the season.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8svH5DbhpM&feature=related
It's$30 for a can but it's worth it. :)

Sluggo
03-07-2012, 10:11 PM
How much of the product did you use for the one side of that boat? How long is that boat? Just wondering if getting the smaller sizes would be enough for a 22 SSV.

docdrs
03-08-2012, 12:06 AM
Wow , that does look impressive. It looks as though you had a fair amount of oxidization as well.

Salty87
03-08-2012, 09:28 AM
how long will it last and how hard is the polymer to remove?

there are lots of quick fixes. even a bad compound job won't last but a few months before fading. hopefully yours lasts long enough.

wiatowski
03-08-2012, 09:48 AM
How much of the product did you use for the one side of that boat? How long is that boat? Just wondering if getting the smaller sizes would be enough for a 22 SSV.

Boat is 19.5' used about 1/8 of the can for 1/2 the boat. If you guys want I can take a video and post it when I do the other side. Might not get to it till tomorrow it started raining today. :(

wiatowski
03-08-2012, 09:53 AM
how long will it last and how hard is the polymer to remove?

there are lots of quick fixes. even a bad compound job won't last but a few months before fading. hopefully yours lasts long enough.

The polish goes on after the Buffing... the video I posted says to apply the polish once a season for us winter guys. a few times a year for the guys who run in salt water or have thier boat on the water long... check out the video quite informative.
I don't think you have to take the polymer polish off they say it bonds with the gelcoat. if the oxidization occurs you just use the Buff Magic on it again.

suprasam
03-08-2012, 11:12 AM
The stuff looks pretty good, as soon as I get a decent day here (weekend) I have already bought stuff to wet sand and polish.....my thoughts are you already are doing almost the same effort to do both correct? Except usually if you do a good polishing, it will last longer right and it wont be adding any additional glaze layers. Thats the only thing that worries me...is adding additional layers, then it looking horrible years/months later. I hope it works, looks good.

chrisk
03-08-2012, 03:02 PM
Yeah I'm going to remain a skeptic of this. It's a non-abrasive polish so that tells me you're not taking any layers off of the gelcoat to reveal fresh, clean gel. You're just adding a polish over the top that makes it glossy. I think wet-sanding might be a long-term fix for the problem.

BUT, after wet sanding with three different grits, rubbing compound, polishing compound, and then wax you're pretty wiped. So, maybe it would be worth it to use this Buff Magic every few months once you get your gel the way you want it rather than waiting a while and wetsanding every two years or whatever.

wiatowski
03-08-2012, 03:17 PM
Yeah I'm going to remain a skeptic of this. It's a non-abrasive polish so that tells me you're not taking any layers off of the gelcoat to reveal fresh, clean gel. You're just adding a polish over the top that makes it glossy. I think wet-sanding might be a long-term fix for the problem.

BUT, after wet sanding with three different grits, rubbing compound, polishing compound, and then wax you're pretty wiped. So, maybe it would be worth it to use this Buff Magic every few months once you get your gel the way you want it rather than waiting a while and wetsanding every two years or whatever.

I think there is some confusion... Buff Magic is a rubbing compound. I haven't put any polish on it yet... my point is that I think it works as well as wet sanding.

chrisk
03-08-2012, 03:26 PM
Well that definitely changes my opinion that you're going to polish it as well. But I'm still skeptical that in its description it mentions it isn't an abrasive. I'm sure that would be just fine for most cases. But if you were to see my boat before I wet sanded it last fall, you would agree that an abrasive was needed.

chrisk
03-08-2012, 03:34 PM
If you scroll down, you can see what my boat looked like last fall and what it looked like after wet sanding. Do you think Buff Magic would have done as well? I'm thinking I might move to a cleaning rubbing compound like that at the end of each season.

https://forum.supraboats.com/showthread.php?9001-85-Supra-SunSport-Skier-PINK!/page4

wiatowski
03-08-2012, 03:41 PM
Don't know... the last picture I posted shows the roughest on the Bayliner... that little spot was like 15 seconds by hand.
On the other hand WOW what a awesome job on your boat... How long did it take?

chrisk
03-08-2012, 03:43 PM
It took the better part of a week, working on it between getting off work at 5 and sundown. Like I said, 3 different grits, rubbing, polishing, and wax. It was worth it though, the gel hadn't been fresh in years so I'm crossing my fingers that this lasts a while.

wiatowski
03-08-2012, 04:24 PM
[QUOTE=ngavdba;69162]If you were wanting a quick sale on a boat to improve the value without spending too much time and effort, looks like it would do the job perfectly to dress it up[QUOTE]

That's what I was thinking when I tried it yesterday... I was just wanting to test a spot on the old boat before I use it on the Sunsport.... Came out so nice I couldn't stop and thought people usually buy things by appearence so a houple hours of my time may end up to be a few hundred bucks... I hope.... but it was worth the experiment anyways.
I'll try to make a video tomorrow.

TitanTn
03-08-2012, 08:25 PM
I did a little research on this Buff Magic and apparently Searay is using this on all their boats instead of the traditional rubbing compound. Apparently it is an aggressive grit rubbing compound that once agitated and heated through application becomes a fine rubbing compound and thus buffs the gel coat to the same shiny finish as multiple applications of rubbing compound and polishes. the polymer polish adds to the shine and protects the gel coat better than wax. Just repeating what I've read and seen on YouTube.

wiatowski
03-10-2012, 05:16 PM
ok, so it was below freezing here today but I said I'd make a video so here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDOkgVpiV9g&feature=g-upl&context=G2e5a200AUAAAAAAAAAA

DAFF
03-10-2012, 06:14 PM
Nice results.. How does it work on red??? You will find sun will be the culprite to most chalky paints/gell finishes. Most of all practice makes perfect!!! Oh ya I'm still not over the SS.....:(

wiatowski
03-10-2012, 07:50 PM
Nice results.. How does it work on red??? You will find sun will be the culprite to most chalky paints/gell finishes. Most of all practice makes perfect!!! Oh ya I'm still not over the SS.....:(

I'll let you know... still haven't brought it home yet, hoping to get it here put it up on blocks and do the whole thing before I put it on the water. Will send you pics when its done. Love the lettering by the way, think it will look sharp. How's your new one coming along?

mr.jrc
03-10-2012, 08:31 PM
I used a product similar to this in the 80's, worked at mailbu grand prix as a mechanic. We used a similar product, a polymer wax with mild abrasive grit to improve the finish of the fiberglass car bodies. Didn't take much, would buff it out and the cars would look great!

Then 2 months later, we had to do it all over again to get the finish back, and again, they would look great! Then 2 months later, we had to do it all over again to get the finish back, and again, they would look great! Then 2 months later, we had to do it all over again to get the finish back, and again, they would look great! Then 2 months later, we had to do it all over again to get the finish back, and again, they would look great! Then 2 months later, we had to do it all over again to get the finish back, and again, they would look great! Then 2 months later, we had to do it all over again to get the finish back, and again, they would look great! Then 2 months later, we had to do it all over again to get the finish back, and again, they would look great! Then 2 months later, we had to do it all over again to get the finish back, and again, they would look great!

TitanTn
03-10-2012, 09:03 PM
I used a product similar to this in the 80's, worked at mailbu grand prix as a mechanic. We used a similar product, a polymer wax with mild abrasive grit to improve the finish of the fiberglass car bodies. Didn't take much, would buff it out and the cars would look great!

Then 2 months later, we had to do it all over again to get the finish back, and again, they would look great! Then 2 months later, we had to do it all over again to get the finish back, and again, they would look great! Then 2 months later, we had to do it all over again to get the finish back, and again, they would look great! Then 2 months later, we had to do it all over again to get the finish back, and again, they would look great! Then 2 months later, we had to do it all over again to get the finish back, and again, they would look great! Then 2 months later, we had to do it all over again to get the finish back, and again, they would look great! Then 2 months later, we had to do it all over again to get the finish back, and again, they would look great! Then 2 months later, we had to do it all over again to get the finish back, and again, they would look great!

So what are you saying? :cool:

DAFF
03-11-2012, 12:55 AM
Glad you liked the numbers. Picked them up the day I brought out the boat to your moms. Hope they fit better than the plain black ones.

As for the Launch sitting and waiting on billing from the winter. As of late the lack of snow really put a damper on my spending/ wish list for spring. Wanted more equipment and the new boat but as spring turns around the corner one might have to wait some. Buying a $10000 Launch is a no brainer but putting everything at risk make no sence. So it will have to wait a few weeks more. If all pans out early April.....

I can't believe I still have the Comp. For $1950 a nice low hour engine almost perfect trailer and a 80% rebuilt interior. This boat should be gone weeks ago....

wiatowski
03-11-2012, 07:34 AM
Glad you liked the numbers. Picked them up the day I brought out the boat to your moms. Hope they fit better than the plain black ones.

As for the Launch sitting and waiting on billing from the winter. As of late the lack of snow really put a damper on my spending/ wish list for spring. Wanted more equipment and the new boat but as spring turns around the corner one might have to wait some. Buying a $10000 Launch is a no brainer but putting everything at risk make no sence. So it will have to wait a few weeks more. If all pans out early April.....

I can't believe I still have the Comp. For $1950 a nice low hour engine almost perfect trailer and a 80% rebuilt interior. This boat should be gone weeks ago....

I'd buy it if I had the money... is it on Kijiji?

bweisner
05-30-2012, 10:45 PM
There is a product I have used called Aqua Buff. You apply by hand and then spray a mist of water on the product as you buff it with a high speed buffer. The results are amazing, and they claim to recondition the gelcoat. Once I applied wax witht he buffer the 1972 boat I was working on shinned like new.