PDA

View Full Version : New to the forums, just picked up a 1987 Supra Sunsport

mabbore
03-08-2012, 10:54 AM
Hey everyone, I have been reading these forums for a couple months now since I picked up my 87 Sunsport and thought I would intraduce my self in the servcie and repair section since I will probably be spending alot of my time hear anyway. LOL. I picked up my sunsport a couple months back in the the dead of winter (excelent boat buying season for Northern Chicago) and am starting to get it ready for the Summer. I need to change the transmission case fluid and an oil change. I know this is a hotley contested subject and I have read the PCM owers manual download as well, but what would you recomend for fluids for both the transmission and engine. Keep in mind that on some mornings it can be as low as 50 up here in Chicago. Thanks for all your help so far.

suprasam
03-08-2012, 03:32 PM
Welcome to the board....tons of folks here to help. I have an 86 Sunsport 351 PCM, and I love it. Granted you are going to get hundreds of comments about oils, but I personally use Penz 10W40 high mileage. To be honest I don't know that much about oils, all I know is this has worked in all the boats I have ever owned (8) and always worked....so i stay with what works. Congrats on the boat! I will be up there in Chi-town on the 23rd visiting some folks, maybe heading over to the Navy Pier. Good luck, show some pictures when you get a chance!

lively
03-08-2012, 06:47 PM
welcome , I have a 86 sunsport 351 w/ velvet drive as well , trans holds 2qts DEX III on the 10/17/004 i use synthetic on my motor and trans .. you need to inspect if your pcm has
points or electronic ignition , also check your exhaust manifolds for cracks on the undersides going towards the motor ...

mabbore
03-09-2012, 10:46 AM
It does currenlty have a points set up on it that are new from last year, but I will probably just get an electronic setup since they are so reasonable. I have heard about issues with exhaust manifolds on the PCMS. Is there a specifc way to test them or do I just look closley for cracks?

Jetlink
03-10-2012, 12:30 AM
Welcome to the family man. I have an '86 comp, same engine and trans. I'll have to check the oil to make sure I have it right but I am running Rotella and the trans is DEX III. As far as the whole cooler morning temps go, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Once the temps start warming up for the season in early April, I usually wake the boat up for the summer so maybe wait until then. On a side note, where you at and where you planning on boating?

lively
03-12-2012, 10:54 PM
i couldnt find anyway to test them , cast will show its cracks very well . at least mine did .. as far as the electronic , marine grade is pricey , but auto will do the same with half the price , i have seen MSD full kits for 120.00 shipped to you door off ebay ... good luck and share some photos

mabbore
03-13-2012, 05:59 PM
Welcome to the family man. I have an '86 comp, same engine and trans. I'll have to check the oil to make sure I have it right but I am running Rotella and the trans is DEX III. As far as the whole cooler morning temps go, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Once the temps start warming up for the season in early April, I usually wake the boat up for the summer so maybe wait until then. On a side note, where you at and where you planning on boating?

Jetlink, I see you are out of teh Chicago NW burbs. Where do you boat out of. I am from Vernon Hills but have my boat on the Chain?

zalamander
03-13-2012, 09:00 PM
Welcome friend. I have a '90 Sunsport and currently have an '86 Saltare too. Great choice in boat, do you have any pics to share?
You sure came to the right place, there is a wealth of knowledge here and great folks who are always willing to help.

Jetlink
03-13-2012, 11:38 PM
Jetlink, I see you are out of teh Chicago NW burbs. Where do you boat out of. I am from Vernon Hills but have my boat on the Chain?I have a sticker for the chain so we sometimes go out on that. We also are out in Rockford quite a bit on the Rock River. Less crowded most of the time, plus the future in-laws live right across the street from the river. Give me a shout, I am pretty busy the next few weeks but I hope to make a few runs out to the chain in April or May.

mabbore
03-14-2012, 09:38 AM
Welcome friend. I have a '90 Sunsport and currently have an '86 Saltare too. Great choice in boat, do you have any pics to share?
You sure came to the right place, there is a wealth of knowledge here and great folks who are always willing to help.

Yeah, I almost got an closed bow but I am super happy with the Sunsport. I think the few extra bucks is well worth all the extra room and functionality. I am hoping to take some pics next week when I change the oil and transmission fluid. Thanks for all your support guys!