PDA

View Full Version : I want to upgrade my ballast bags: '08 21V, suggestions?

cigars n scotch
03-08-2012, 11:02 PM
I'd like to upgrade my ballast this year from the stock setup and I'm not sure which route to go so I'm wondering if some 21V owners can share some guidance (non 21V owners can certainly chime in too!) Our main activity is wakeboarding, we surf every now and then when we get the chance and have enough people.

Stock setup consists of:
Bow locker=650 lb. bag
Rear lockers= (2) 400 lb. bags

I was thinking of going the route of (2) 750 lb. bags in the rear lockers and maybe the 1,100 lb. bag in the front bow locker? I keep towels and vests and other random gear in the rear lockers on top of the full bags so I really don't see putting 1,100 lb. bags in there (not even sure they'd fit). Plus I don't really need that much weight (and gas isn't getting any cheaper!).

What are your folks thoughts? Or should I just give Jason at Wakemakers.com a call and get his suggestions?

Thanks,

Justin

pap
03-09-2012, 12:12 PM
Depends if you're looking for surf or for wakeboard wake. I've got an 09 21v which I think is different layout, but we went from 400 to 750's in the back and kept stock front. I think you can fit a bigger front sac than I can -- the boat can definitely benefit from some more weight up front.

From what I've read you need to upgrade/reinforce the rear engine compartment with the 1100's in the rears - it's posted here several times by others who put some L brackets in, or you can crack that part of the boat. I would say the 750s still are a bit lacking for surf in my opinion, but I don't usually have many folks out with me, just our family.

We're beginners, so can't give much advice on the wakeboard wake part of the equation - even stock wake is pretty intimidating still to us :)

cigars n scotch
03-10-2012, 12:12 AM
Thanks pap, I mentioned above that we mainly wakeboard. I think I am going to upgrade the rears to 750's and use one of the stock 400's up in the bow in addition to the 650 in the ski locker. I'm going to give Jason at wakemakers a ring also.

Supra_21V
05-16-2013, 08:56 PM
Just got a 07 supra 21v with gravity games stock bags. I want to know what speed people with this setup wakeboard and surf with? Also what is the best upgrade? Thanks