PDA

View Full Version : Dropped my interior off for new upholstery. 1989 Pirata

gogger
03-10-2012, 09:03 PM
The seat frames were not easy to rebuild. They were in such bad shape that I couldn't really use them as a template. But I finally got them to be exceptable. I should have taken some pics but was in a hurry to get them into the shop before we left for Jackson MS for a horse show. Everything was rushed.

So he said he could do all the seats, side panels, engine cover, sun platform, cupholders etc. for $3000 give or take. I had someone else estimate about the same, so I went with it. Hopefully it looks good. And hopefully the boat can make it through the summer without the stringers being replaced.

sybrmike
03-10-2012, 11:24 PM
I'm in a similar boat (literally & figuratively) - dropped mine off on Thursday. I know what you mean by not easy to build - there's not a square angle anywher in these things (plus I completely changed my layout).

Sounds like a competitive price - I'm about the same $ for all new foam & vinyl. Hope it turns out well for you. Can't wait to compare results...

Jetlink
03-10-2012, 11:44 PM
Not only is there not a square angle, but there are often compund angles... Mapleleaf knows how frustrated I was trying to get the angles right for my doghouse base. Thankfully he was able to help point me in the right direction some. I'm just glad that my interior is done! Oh, and I was in the same ball park area as well for all new vinyl except for the drivers seat.

ddb0
03-11-2012, 04:19 PM
wow 3k sounds kinda steep to me my boat will be back thursday or so and the guy thats doing mine is doing all the work building the frames that need built along with new foam and carpet and told me it gonna be no more than 3k? i hope he sticks to that price lol

lively
03-12-2012, 10:10 AM
well i think i got you all beat ... 750 in materials including wood , some recycled foam from a local furniture store and she should be good as new !! lol

Im the guy who takes the broken down edgers from the trash and wins championships !! ha ha

gogger
03-12-2012, 01:01 PM
He estimated 60 hours of labor, that was the majority of the expense. It doesn't look like an easy project. He will have to replace some of the seat bottoms and the biggest side panel on the drivers side, where the throttle is, was pretty much mulch.

The angles were tough on the seat frames. Especially the piece that goes in the corner. But it will be covered with foam and vinyl. So I think it will be fine with my poor job cutting the pieces properly. An air staple gun and lots of glue made it solid. I wish I had though of using something other than treated plywood to ensure a long life, but I imagine they should last as long I will have the boat. I don't plan on letting it sit out in the weather.

I still need to replace the bilge pumps. They look in pretty bad shape. One of the engine blower vent motors squeals so I need to replace it. I want to replace the stereo and speakers, Need to put down carpet. I am also going to rebuild the frames the seats and engine cover sit on.

Still haven't started it. The weather should be good enough when I get back home to get it started and see how the 454 runs. My luck she won't run at all. lol.

ddb0
03-12-2012, 01:53 PM
sounds like it should look pretty good when all said and done i just dont have the skill to do that kind of work so it was better for me to take it someone. there was a section of floor that was rotted out where the drivers feet sit and the back seat frame needed to be rebuilt but that was about it not bad for being 25 years old