PDA

View Full Version : adjusting the wake plate on 85 Comp

crnsuperduty
06-28-2005, 08:33 AM
I'm having trouble getting the wake correct for skiing on my 85 comp. I think the previous owner had it set up for wakeboarding. I want to change the plate, and try to flatten the wake more. It seems my wake is more like my dad's deck boat than a competetion ski boats. Anyone have suggestions on where to adjust the plate??

DKJBama92Mariah
06-28-2005, 01:40 PM
For wakeboarding, it should be all the way up. Norma use, level with the bottom of the boat. Slalom, i would put it a little below the level of the hull. This is also a good setting for normal runnning b/c it will reduce porpoising (sp?) at higher speeds. Its pretty much trial and error to figure out which is the best setting for your rig and riding conditions.

Cheers,
DKJ

crnsuperduty
06-28-2005, 02:17 PM
Sounds good. I'll try it at the lake this weekend. I have a lift now, so I can adjust it in the water a lot easier. Thanks.

88 Supra Comp
06-29-2005, 11:46 AM
O.K.

I know this is an "old" discussion, however I have just been wondering about this.

I have seen the wake plate on the bottom, and mine is currently flat with the bottom of the boat.

Is that the purpose of this thing is to adjust it to get different wake sizes?

How hard is it to adjust......know it just looks like some bolts.....but have folks adjusted on the fly in the water between skiiers and wakeboarders?

Thanks!

Salty87
06-29-2005, 12:19 PM
88 comp,

the wakeplate doesn't really make the wake bigger although it can have that effect. it's really a left-over from slalom days when they wanted to make the wake smaller. if yours is all the way down, your wake will get bigger by putting it up. but, the wake is no bigger than the same boat with no plate so it hasn't really made the wake any bigger.

i've never seen anyone change one on the fly. now the newer models have hydraulic controls and they can and do adjust on the fly.

loosen a few nuts to adjust it, you'll figure it out quickly.

88 Supra Comp
06-29-2005, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Salty87

88 comp,

the wakeplate doesn't really make the wake bigger although it can have that effect. it's really a left-over from slalom days when they wanted to make the wake smaller. if yours is all the way down, your wake will get bigger by putting it up. but, the wake is no bigger than the same boat with no plate so it hasn't really made the wake any bigger.

i've never seen anyone change one on the fly. now the newer models have hydraulic controls and they can and do adjust on the fly.

loosen a few nuts to adjust it, you'll figure it out quickly.

Thanks! I was wondering if anyone had ever converted the plate on one of these old comps to a hydraulic version? Think I'll play around with different settings of the plate and see if I notice a significant difference. Have you or others actually noticed a significant difference by playing with different settings? Understand that it would be "bigger" with the plate up....just wondering if is really worth it?

Thanks!

Mike
06-30-2005, 11:02 AM
I have an 89 Comp and adjusting the plate will definetly make a difference. Just a few turns is noticeable. Very much a trail and error thing to get it where you want it. Can be done while in the water but means going under to get the pins in/out before/after adjustment. I found that as you push the plate down you get to a point where the wake gets quite square and hard and not so good for slalom. I just backed off from that a little to wher I precieve it to be smallest without the hard squareness (if that makes sense to you).

As for changing settings on the fly between slalom and wakeboarding, with the pin set up I have, it would not be practicle. Suppose if you had a different securing mechanism it might be OK.

Mike

88 Supra Comp
06-30-2005, 02:41 PM
Thanks Mike!

88 Supra Comp
07-03-2005, 10:35 PM
Hey,

I just looked at this tonight before we went out. Till now, I had not exactly looked at the wake plate and how it attaches to the boat. Now I am confused.

I see the adjustemnt screws/bolts.........however I expected to see a "hinge" at the bottom of the hull. Mine looks like it is screwed fast to the hull. I don't see how it would move up or down? Do others have a hinge?

DKJBama92Mariah
07-04-2005, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by 88 Supra Comp

Hey,

I just looked at this tonight before we went out. Till now, I had not exactly looked at the wake plate and how it attaches to the boat. Now I am confused.

I see the adjustemnt screws/bolts.........however I expected to see a "hinge" at the bottom of the hull. Mine looks like it is screwed fast to the hull. I don't see how it would move up or down? Do others have a hinge?

Mine doesnt have a hinge. The plate just flexes as you adjust it.

DKJ

88 Supra Comp
07-04-2005, 08:47 AM
DKJBama92Mariah ,

Thanks!

Hmmmmmm......well O.K. then. A bend, don't break thing then. When I looked at it last night, I was afraid to mess with it.

How much can it be bent then? Is it only a couple of inches in either direction?