PDA

View Full Version : How many drain plugs in my PCM 454?

gogger
03-13-2012, 12:02 PM
I want to start my engine when I get home to make sure she runs ok. The PO said it had been winterized and I didn't really want to try and start it and then re-winterize. So anyways I believe there are 4 plugs in a cup holder. Two larger ones and two smaller? And there is a hose off. Is there anything else I need to put back together before I start it? I am going to check the fuel and add some. Not much there. And plan on pulling the plugs/replacing. I already have a new set to put in. He said he just put in a new impeller. But I ordered a new one anyways. I will check the one in it before I start it. Anything else I should do? It also has an automatic Halon fire extinguisher system in the engine compartment. Can I get that recharged? Or should I just get a manual extinguisher? Or both?

haugy
03-13-2012, 01:19 PM
Look at the exhaust manifolds. On the underside of the legs going back, at the back of the engine mounted manifold there is a flat spot facing the back of the boat. There is a hole there, one hole per manifold. That is one of the plugs you remove to winterize. My guess is, two of your plugs belong there.

On the left side of the block (looking from back of boat to front) there should be a hole above the oil pan, under the spark plugs. Probably one of your plugs there. Might be another one on the other side, but I don't think so.

Check to see if your waterpump has a drain hole on it. Or the impeller point.

I always have three plugs removed. Not four. But if all else fails, hook water up to it, and start it. You'll find out real fast where the last one goes. :D Really, you can do that, just be fast to turn off the boat and water.

Make sure you change the oil before you go. Definitely new spark plugs, and an impeller. Good call on those. Check all hoses for soft squishy feeling when cold. If they are, replace them. How old is the fuel? If it's been sitting for a while add Sea-foam (NOT STA-BIL) to a full tank.

Halon on your boat? Damn. If I remember right Halon systems do have to be inspected, but I'm not sure of the time frame. I don't think it's annual though. Never hurts to have a fire extinguisher aboard. I used mine..................................on a friends boat.

Jetlink
03-13-2012, 11:35 PM
Halon...nasty stuff, effective, but nasty all the same. We have that at work and must train on it every other year.

OUI
03-14-2012, 10:42 AM
The two large ones go in the exhaust manifold in the back. The smaller ones go on either side of the block. The one on the left is further forward than the one on the right. Reconnect the loose hose to the water pump and your good to go

wspeedin
03-14-2012, 11:21 AM
does anybody know where you can get the draincocks on the side of the block? I have two on my 454 and both spin freely, so there is no way for me to drain from there or tighten back up so it doesnt drain.

gogger
03-14-2012, 12:00 PM
Well when I get back to Ohio I will check them out a little closer. The plugs were just laying on the floor when I started cleaning her up. Then I found a couple more under the engine. They looked like they had been there a while. My guess is that the engine was winterized sometime ago and they just threw the plugs down. Then they wanted to get it running to sell. So they didn't bother looking for the originals just put new ones in. And then in my cleaning up, I came across the originals. I believe she was ran recently as she has a new marine carb on her. And looks like a new starter also. I bought a new battery for her and just bumped it to see if I got anything and she started to crank. Seems most off the electrical stuff responded also. The speakers sound like crap. Thinking she needs a new stereo system. Looks like some decent deals on Ebay. Eventually would like to add a tower and some tower speakers. Anyone have any suggestions for a tower that would look cool on a Pirata?