PDA

View Full Version : The "seal of supra"

DAFF
03-13-2012, 11:07 PM
Just thinking......

Has anyone ever heard of a Supra society or boat club??? Perhaps through this forum we can create a "official" seal or sticker for members. Bronse, silver, gold and platnum for life long loyalists or something in that catagory. The seals could be IMG files which could be downloaded by moderators based on certain criteria. Each member could bring a copy to his or her sign/lettering guru for a printing. Placing them on a windshield where they could be easly removed if the boat traded hands or they ever faded ect.

Its just an idea. It might not appeal to all, but we are all familly in a weird way.:grin:

tkustom
03-13-2012, 11:27 PM
i can get them made...just need ideas

chrisk
03-14-2012, 12:01 AM
I think once upon a time there was a thread about getting Supra Forum stickers made for the people that hang out here, that might be a little easier to manage

KG's Supra24
03-14-2012, 12:03 AM
If you were to dig through the archives, you would see a similar convo about two years ago.

It was more of a supra forum member sticker, in case you were to ever see anyone on the water, you would know.

Needless to say, it never went anywhere.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

DAFF
03-14-2012, 12:13 AM
How about a Old school Supra stripe wave and Supra symbol .... Since they have opted for the new one !! There most be a graphics person here somewhere... Hint hint "Wave Digger"

tkustom
03-14-2012, 06:03 AM
im on it lol

gogger
03-14-2012, 09:11 AM
Do we have to have taken our boat on the water before we can get one? lol. I enjoy the forum and have learned a lot about my boat from reading past posts. This 80 degree weather in Jackson Mississippi has be anxious to take her out.

haugy
03-14-2012, 09:56 AM
Personally, if I see you rocking any Supra 2000 and earlier, you are part of my club. I'll wave ya down and try to meet ya unless we are passing at high speed. But I will make a point of remembering and trying to find that boat again.

Your "Seal" as you would put it, is your boat. Especially the old school crew. That is your seal. You know the ones when you see them. The boats that have been meticulously restored or brought back to life, and are very well cared for. You can tell the ones that daddy bought his teenage son and they throw ghetto garbage into them and look like they have been run through the wringer.

My boat is my seal. It is a revived beast that gets more questions than my buddy's brand new Malibu. While I do like the idea, sort of like the Masons (secret society), I'd prefer not to put anything on my boat that isn't a Supra wave.

csuggs
03-14-2012, 10:07 AM
Personally, if I see you rocking any Supra 2000 and earlier, you are part of my club. I'll wave ya down and try to meet ya unless we are passing at high speed. But I will make a point of remembering and trying to find that boat again.

Your "Seal" as you would put it, is your boat. Especially the old school crew. That is your seal. You know the ones when you see them. The boats that have been meticulously restored or brought back to life, and are very well cared for. You can tell the ones that daddy bought his teenage son and they throw ghetto garbage into them and look like they have been run through the wringer.

My boat is my seal. It is a revived beast that gets more questions than my buddy's brand new Malibu. While I do like the idea, sort of like the Masons (secret society), I'd prefer not to put anything on my boat that isn't a Supra wave.

A MOST EXCELLENT RESPONSE. I like it, A LOT!

"we don't need no stinking bayjees . . . ." Sorry DAFF - I couldn't help it! :D

Jetlink
03-14-2012, 11:05 AM
How about the head nod, or the handshake? :D I agree with Haugy on this one...the classic boats get the attention all on their own. Where I boat, there are tons of older Supras either chilling in boat lifts or out at the sand bar. Funny too because all the older Supras seem to travel and hang out together. One night we were out without the boat at a restaurant on the water as I watch a Saltare pull up to the dock. Started chatting with the guy about it, he had not heard about the forum though. Anyways, getting back to topic, take a look at Clint's, Haugy's, NG's and Titan's boats just to name a few and those are the "badge" for me.

DAFF
03-14-2012, 07:33 PM
I understand on how the old boats draw a crowd and get lots of attention. I was thinking more for the individual who has one of these boats sitting in the barn like myself for 10years plus. I remember back in the day, about 92 where there was absolutly no help or instruction on how to fix, resore or even get parts for these boats. You were on your own !!!

Long story short. Just trying to spead the word, save some boats and have fun doing it. This is a great site and the information on it has transormed many rotten foam filled bath tubs back from certain death. My origianal thought of having the sticker on the boat was incorrect, but perhaps the perfect location is on the tow vehicle. This way someone with a boat rotting in the barn might get a second chance as they sit behind you in the drive thru!!!

Hagman
03-14-2012, 08:32 PM
I understand on how the old boats draw a crowd and get lots of attention. I was thinking more for the individual who has one of these boats sitting in the barn like myself for 10years plus. I remember back in the day, about 92 where there was absolutly no help or instruction on how to fix, resore or even get parts for these boats. You were on your own !!!

Long story short. Just trying to spead the word, save some boats and have fun doing it. This is a great site and the information on it has transormed many rotten foam filled bath tubs back from certain death. My origianal thought of having the sticker on the boat was incorrect, but perhaps the perfect location is on the tow vehicle. This way someone with a boat rotting in the barn might get a second chance as they sit behind you in the drive thru!!!I think I would go for a logo /graphics to place on the back of my tow vehicle. But it would most definitely need to incorporate the old school Supra wave somehow.

csuggs
03-14-2012, 10:22 PM

Long story short. Just trying to spead the word, save some boats and have fun doing it. This is a great site and the information on it has transormed many rotten foam filled bath tubs back from certain death. My origianal thought of having the sticker on the boat was incorrect, but perhaps the perfect location is on the tow vehicle. This way someone with a boat rotting in the barn might get a second chance as they sit behind you in the drive thru!!!

Good point. No use of a decal on the boat. Not a bad idea to have it on the tow vehicle.

jet
03-14-2012, 11:47 PM
Well Im GOLD then. Im on my 11th-12th year being on here. Damn.

TitanTn
03-15-2012, 10:55 PM
I like the idea Daff. And I second (or third) the motion that it needs to be the old Supra logo.

Jetlink
03-15-2012, 11:11 PM
Any thoughts on making a sticker of Calvin from Calvin and Hobbs pissing on the new Supra logo? :D

DAFF
03-15-2012, 11:48 PM
So the logo needs a boat in the form of simple flowing lines. The Supra name, stripes and the wave. Plus "Supra Boat Historic Society" imbedded into the stripes. I can visulize it looking something like the Moomba image found on the insulated cups.

TitanTn
03-16-2012, 07:52 AM
So the logo needs a boat in the form of simple flowing lines. The Supra name, stripes and the wave. Plus "Supra Boat Historic Society" imbedded into the stripes. I can visulize it looking something like the Moomba image found on the insulated cups.

That's a lot of visual elements. But I would also suggest that it needs a URL for this forum.

csuggs
03-16-2012, 08:45 AM
How about a silhouette of a Supra with the words "Supra Society, since 1981" written on the hull, then below the silhouette have www.supraboats.com/bbs

haugy
03-16-2012, 09:15 AM
Here's is something that I was thinking up.

This was a fast and dirty idea on a Friday morning. Take a look, and throw out some ideas.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Decalidea.jpg

wspeedin
03-16-2012, 10:20 AM
I love the idea. Of course I figure it will be useless in my area. I have only seen one other supra and that was OldMan's Sunsport but I would still put the sticker on my truck so people know where to go if they want this kind of "lifestyle", lol.

Jetlink
03-16-2012, 10:20 AM
Haugy, can you try making one that is a little shorter length wise and taller with the "Supra Classics" stacked on top of "since 1981" Might look sharp and a comparison might help.

TitanTn
03-16-2012, 10:33 AM
I'll throw out an option as well.

http://unumemarketing.com/boat/fun/supra_decal.jpg

Jetlink
03-16-2012, 10:40 AM
I kind like what Titan has got there. So far, my vote is for that design or something like it.

haugy
03-16-2012, 10:43 AM
I do like Titans version with the Supra logo under the wave, but I didn't have time for that. I personally would like my original with Titan's setup on the wave and logo. I like that look. But I'm throwing these things together in minutes between projects. Oof.

Like this?

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Decalidea2.jpg

Jetlink
03-16-2012, 10:46 AM
Yeah, that looks better than your first draft and just what I was thinking Haugy. A little more condensed and not so "spread out."

haugy
03-16-2012, 10:57 AM
Here is what I was thinking with Titan's concept. It's low res for a bigger size, and was done in a hurry. My thoughts are to make the text actually white, and no background would be used on the actual decal. The window would be the background.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/customcj7/Decalidea3.jpg

TitanTn
03-16-2012, 11:16 AM
I like all this feedback and discussion.

My opinion is allow the original logo pieces to remain intact. The wave, Supra, and the line. In that vein, I like not covering the line completely with the "Classics..." sentence. I also like varying the font size a little to let the weight of the Supra branding take precedence, followed by the "Classics" thought. The web site URL is the third component and the size should reflect that. I also suggest that Supra purchase the supraboatsforum.com URL I suggested, or I'll buy it and redirect it to this site. It's much friendlier than the /bbs.

TitanTn
03-16-2012, 11:24 AM
But to give another option that's not so spread out, here's a tighter one:

http://unumemarketing.com/boat/fun/supra_decal2.jpg

haugy
03-16-2012, 11:27 AM
Good thoughts. I'm not sure if you want the font's changed on the phrase and the website or not.

Good luck getting Skiier's choice to buy that domain. It's hard enough getting them to get simple requests answered already. The domain "supraboatforums.com" is available for purchase so that is possible. I do agree it's better than the original, but if we really want this to happen, that may just be it. While it's not the most friendly, it's not too terribly difficult.

csuggs
03-16-2012, 02:25 PM
I like what you guys are coming up with. Can we add the word "inboards" somewhere? "Classic Inboards since 1981" or how about on the left end of the line adding the silhouette of a Sunsport going away from the line? Just some additional thoughts.

Jetlink
03-16-2012, 02:32 PM
I like what you guys are coming up with. Can we add the word "inboards" somewhere? "Classic Inboards since 1981" or how about on the left end of the line adding the silhouette of a Sunsport going away from the line? Just some additional thoughts.Biased much with the Sunsport? What about us Comp guys? I kid I kid... After all, if there were ever a Sunsport to use as the example Sunsport, it could be yours Clint. :cool:

csuggs
03-16-2012, 02:37 PM
Biased much with the Sunsport? What about us Comp guys? I kid I kid... After all, if there were ever a Sunsport to use as the example Sunsport, it could be yours Clint. :cool:

Haha - I thought the Sunsport comment would get some feedback!

wiatowski
03-16-2012, 04:00 PM
I like #23 or 29 would look good in silver, black or gold.
I would maybe change it to " Perfection since 1981" or "Inboard Classics" and forget the 81. just my .02 as an owner of one for the last 3 weeks.

DAFF
03-16-2012, 04:21 PM

http://unumemarketing.com/boat/fun/supra_decal2.jpg

I think #29 is my fav. Would love to see the rectangular border replaced with an outline of a square windshield Sunsport, comp or Saltare ... More less owners choice of border depending of his or her boat. "Timeless Inboards since 1981"

Jetlink
03-16-2012, 04:55 PM
I'm liking the one from post #29. I was going to look into getting a Supra logo for the back window on the Denali but I will gladly wait for one of these instead.

haugy
03-16-2012, 05:10 PM
Just a thought, I think you guys may want to rethink how these look. The graphics are examples. In my opinion anything that is black on the examples should be printed in white. And anything white on the example, not be there at all. So it's a see through graphic. Otherwise you have this giant white square on the back of your rig or on your boat.

Take the traditional supra graphic you can buy for your cars, (I'll get a pic of my truck when I get home), it's a see through graphic with the lettering in white or black depending on how you want it. But it's not solid.

Something to think about.

TitanTn
03-16-2012, 05:15 PM
Just a thought, I think you guys may want to rethink how these look. The graphics are examples. In my opinion anything that is black on the examples should be printed in white. And anything white on the example, not be there at all. So it's a see through graphic. Otherwise you have this giant white square on the back of your rig or on your boat.

Take the traditional supra graphic you can buy for your cars, (I'll get a pic of my truck when I get home), it's a see through graphic with the lettering in white or black depending on how you want it. But it's not solid.

I agree. I'm just putting something together that's easy to see online. The white part of my design would be clear, and the black parts would be white or possibly silver.

wiatowski
03-16-2012, 05:21 PM

I just figured white would be transparent.

TitanTn
03-16-2012, 08:24 PM
Okay Clint - I'm not giving you the custom Sunsport graphic, but I tried incorporating the "inboard" comment. I also tried pulling in the "better" phrasing from the old and the new Supra branding. See what you think.

http://unumemarketing.com/boat/fun/supra_decal3.jpg

TitanTn
03-16-2012, 08:33 PM
And I went ahead and purchased the domain name should we end up doing this. I thought about getting Clint his own sunsportboatsforum.com but decided against it.

csuggs
03-16-2012, 08:53 PM
Haha! I love it! Muuwaahahahahaha!!!! :cool:

Hagman
03-17-2012, 04:30 PM

http://unumemarketing.com/boat/fun/supra_decal2.jpgHow about, (Classic in boards since 1981) done up in red with silver leaf. This would look awesome on the back window of my black truck.

TitanTn
03-17-2012, 05:27 PM
Well, I have the URL working. You can try it out. http://supraboatsforum.com

Does anyone have a resource for getting these printed? I could find something close to me if no one has a special connection somewhere.

Jetlink
03-17-2012, 05:39 PM
I might have a connection. I'll have to ask and make sure but let's make this thing happen!

DAFF
03-17-2012, 10:47 PM
I have a lettering guy this side of the border.

DAFF
03-24-2012, 05:27 PM
Anyone have any more input.... How about a final sticky with a digital image we can copy, save and bring to a local lettering guy.

TitanTn
03-25-2012, 01:35 AM
Anyone have any more input.... How about a final sticky with a digital image we can copy, save and bring to a local lettering guy.

Tell me what kind of file your guy likes. I need to make a high res version for printing.

crystal waters
03-27-2012, 11:31 AM
why not do it as a pdf file? Virtually any vinyl lettering shop can turn this out for those who want to follow through on this. Simply download the file to the shop of your choice. Consider having the lettering shop "weed" out the excess background material such that when you affix it to your truck window ( for example) the letters use the glass as their background which can look very sharp especially against a tinted window!

TitanTn
03-27-2012, 07:32 PM
why not do it as a pdf file? Virtually any vinyl lettering shop can turn this out for those who want to follow through on this. Simply download the file to the shop of your choice. Consider having the lettering shop "weed" out the excess background material such that when you affix it to your truck window ( for example) the letters use the glass as their background which can look very sharp especially against a tinted window!

If we were printing at one source (quantity discount) I'd want to send a better quality file than a PDF and I'll be making the background transparent in the file anyway. But the concept of having everyone get their own printed is a good idea as well, and in that case a PDF would be the most universal format. Interest on this seems to have died out and to keep from having to generate interest for a group buy, I'll just finalize the graphic and put it out here for download.

TitanTn
03-27-2012, 07:59 PM
Okay. Give me your final vote.

1 - http://unumemarketing.com/boat/fun/supra_decal2.jpg

2 - http://unumemarketing.com/boat/fun/supra_decal3.jpg

3 - http://unumemarketing.com/boat/fun/supra_decal4.jpg

4 - http://unumemarketing.com/boat/fun/supra_decal5.jpg

Jetlink
03-27-2012, 09:04 PM
1 or 2...hard to decide really, though I tend to lean more towards the classic one.

wspeedin
03-28-2012, 08:12 AM
Number 1 for sure! Simple, and rolls off the tongue nicely.

crystal waters
03-28-2012, 11:56 AM
no question--number one !!!!!!

csuggs
03-28-2012, 01:27 PM
numero uno

bmtsupra
03-28-2012, 02:12 PM
#1 has my vote

TitanTn
03-28-2012, 02:26 PM
I'm starting to detect a theme.

I'll be working on the high res file...

kvand347
03-28-2012, 03:35 PM
I don't know if a '93 Sunsport counts as a classic, but I like option #1. Any thoughts on option #1, but eliminating the "classic." Just thinking that might include more generations of boats. There I go thinking again...

DAFF
03-28-2012, 03:50 PM
Number one for me too !!! As a template anyone can create a custom look to match boat colours and wording.

DAFF
03-28-2012, 03:57 PM
....... oops

crystal waters
03-28-2012, 04:22 PM
re matchign boat colors--take the file to your chosen sign shop and have them output in virtually any color you desire.
If you are using a PDF file then you will not be able to change the contents of the file but you can dictate the color of the vinyl.

TitanTn
03-28-2012, 09:39 PM
Okay, I realize this is dangerous, but as I was building the high res file I started tinkering. Here's one more option. Let me know if you like it or not.

http://unumemarketing.com/boat/fun/final.jpg

Jetlink
03-28-2012, 09:49 PM
Can we get a side by side or over under comparison? Switching back and forth between pages makes it hard to compare for me.

TitanTn
03-28-2012, 10:01 PM
http://unumemarketing.com/boat/fun/supra_decal.jpg

http://unumemarketing.com/boat/fun/final.jpg

I know these are different dimensions but it's not that the second one is actually smaller, it's just a cheap copy of the high res version.

Jetlink
03-28-2012, 11:12 PM
Liking the top one, the rounded edge on the border just looks better and the website doesn't distract the eye from the wave.

DAFF
03-29-2012, 12:22 AM
How about a oval border with the supraboatforum.com imbedded into the bottom centre in the same arch form. This way the beauty of the wave is not broken up so much.

DAFF
03-29-2012, 12:34 AM
OK one more... Looking at the border it just dawned om me.... Its almost the top view of a boat. All that is needed is to create a point on the LHS and add the supraboatforum along the transom.

csuggs
03-29-2012, 08:58 AM
Rob - I'm fine with whatever you come up with. Remember that the main goal was to spread the word about the forum. . . I think.
Clint

suprasam
03-29-2012, 11:11 AM
OK one more opinion.....I like the oval thought. I have a side company (specialty advertising) that these stickers can be done at cost. I might order 250 white ovals with navy imprint, anyone who wants one can pay shipping and i will send to them. Just a thought, if I order, they pretty much have to be one or two standard colors. Just a thought, would you guys care if I used the above idea and put it into the oval sticker?

TitanTn
03-29-2012, 11:59 AM
Rob - I'm fine with whatever you come up with. Remember that the main goal was to spread the word about the forum. . . I think.
Clint

Thanks Clint. You're right. This kind of stuff is hard enough to do on your own, much less in a committee.

OK one more opinion.....I like the oval thought. I have a side company (specialty advertising) that these stickers can be done at cost. I might order 250 white ovals with navy imprint, anyone who wants one can pay shipping and i will send to them. Just a thought, if I order, they pretty much have to be one or two standard colors. Just a thought, would you guys care if I used the above idea and put it into the oval sticker?

Please, have at it. I'm not really following the oval idea, so go for it. This isn't anything official, so there is no wrong answer. I'm just going to finish the file I've been working on and put it on here as a download for anyone who wants to get one made. Each person can decide their color, or even design their own. No pressure either way.

suprasam
03-29-2012, 12:29 PM
Titan, do yo mind sending me the logo. I like the first design, highest res would be good if you dont mind. You can email over to me at [email protected]
I might switch it up and post the stickers this way if anyone wants a couple I can mail to them. Thanks and I didn't mean to hi-jack.

Jetlink
04-01-2012, 11:17 PM
Any updates or progress on this? I'm getting the Denali set up for the summer and I need something in the back window to go along with the boat.

TitanTn
04-02-2012, 08:40 AM
Sorry. I've been away from the computer for several days, and have been trying to place catch-up. The file is close, and I'll get it posted soon.

TitanTn
04-04-2012, 10:45 PM
Sorry this has taken so long. I've been swamped and haven't been able to work on it. Here is the final, high res file for printing. Anyone can use it to order window decals, stickers, letterhead, whatever. I hope it's helpful.

http://unumemarketing.com/boat/fun/highresfinalartwork.tif

Jetlink
04-04-2012, 11:10 PM
Looks good Titan... For those in the Chicago area, let me know if anybody has good connections or not. One of my customers does a ton of work with a local vinyl shop and I might be able to get a group buy organized. Actually, let's open this up to anyone else that is interested too.

DAFF
04-04-2012, 11:18 PM
Thanks for everyones help an feedback. TITAN the results are perfect !!! Time for a sticky......

DAFF
04-26-2012, 10:52 PM
Sad but true...