PDA

View Full Version : New enigne, Need advice

edgewater1
03-15-2012, 03:40 PM
I have not been on in a along time and my supra has sat dormant waiting for the day it can be re-powered and rule the lake once more. Today is the Day, my new long block 351w is done! I need some help I am putting in the engine almost all my self i have a friend wiring it, and the ignition. What did u think was the hardest part of building the engine, from what I have worked on it seems to be bolt up and go for many parts, I am removing the old engine, and using all the parts i can off it(water pump, intake manifold, valve covers, alternator, timing cover, starter, bell housing motor mounts, transmission) The new parts(oil pan, ignition, exhaust risers and manifolds, carb, and the gaskets in between.) Any ideas, tricks or tips to make it go smoother all the advice you can give is good advice. (1991 Supra Sunsport, With plastic stringers and floor) losing my supra was like losing a loyal dog or a piece of my life, and im sure many of you feel the same way.

VR,

MIDN Anthony S.

lively
03-15-2012, 04:20 PM
check your freeze plugs , and head coolant caps inside the valve train , distributor will need to be mounted at top dead center for the timing to align , and advance or retard
when you crank her over , use plenty of penetrating oil on the allen head bolts for the exhaust . cause they love to break off ...check the raw water pump impeller for wear or
replace impeller , circulation pump that mounts to the motor you will want to make sure there is no play in the bearing and spins freely , all else should go smoothly ... good luck and snap some pics

Salty87
03-15-2012, 08:41 PM
welcome back edgewater!

i know what you mean. i started a new business almost 2 years ago and am embarrassed at the lack of hours on the water i've been able to get.

i don't like motor mounts much. and, leveling the engine for re-installation is also fun. when pulling it, level doesn't matter so much. take it slow and easy. alignment is another several beer job. instrux are around here somewhere.

bdumas35
03-17-2012, 12:18 PM
Hello Edgewater1,

Maybe I can help with a few tips.

#1 Pictures,pictures pictures. You can't have enough. Shoot every bracket, harness, cable mount etc. I need every memory aid available. Pics good.

#2 Label and tag all of your accessory mounting bolts. I used zip loc bags and a sharpie. For example alt. mounting bolts, oil pan etc. It's amazing how expensive nuts and bolts cost if you lose them.

#3 Make sure your accessories like the water pump,alt. etc, are worthy of a new motor. Some of this stuff really is not expensive if you shop around online.

Good luck. Keep us posted.