PDA

View Full Version : new throttle shift unit?

onecrazyredhead
03-16-2012, 01:14 PM
i need a shift unit and handle. Been looking online but can not find one the is all alum. or metal for my 1985 supra. someone please help the only one i could find is this http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MV3 .

Hagman
03-16-2012, 05:24 PM
i need a shift unit and handle. Been looking online but can not find one the is all alum. or metal for my 1985 supra. someone please help the only one i could find is this http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MV3 .I think which are asking about is called the morse control. What is wrong with yours? Most of the time all that goes bad is the grease. It’s likely you could take it apart clean it apply new grease you should be just fine. My 86 comp has over 1700 hours on it. A couple of years ago I was thinking about replacing mine and the guys at the boat shop told me that these units don’t wear out very often. Try cleaning yours up first. I think they cost around 3 to 400 dollars.

wspeedin
03-18-2012, 01:01 PM
I think which are asking about is called the morse control. What is wrong with yours? Most of the time all that goes bad is the grease. It’s likely you could take it apart clean it apply new grease you should be just fine. My 86 comp has over 1700 hours on it. A couple of years ago I was thinking about replacing mine and the guys at the boat shop told me that these units don’t wear out very often. Try cleaning yours up first. I think they cost around 3 to 400 dollars.

What kind of grease did they suggest using? I have taken mine apart to paint it and lost alot of grease in the process. Also, the worst part is that I forgot how the brackets were position, lol.

Hagman
03-18-2012, 01:44 PM
What kind of grease did they suggest using? I have taken mine apart to paint it and lost alot of grease in the process. Also, the worst part is that I forgot how the brackets were position, lol. I used a high temperature grease that I picked up at Napa. Any Greece should work. I know the unit gets hot in the sunshine and I thought that using a high temperature grease might lessen the chance of Greece the leaking out down the inside of the boat. As far as putting it back together you're on your own. But there's a good chance that someone on this form will step in and help you out. Good luck

Salty87
03-18-2012, 06:02 PM
there are little brass pieces that can get worn too. once they wear out, you can't move the throttle.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R024024

ts6mnewbie
05-01-2012, 03:10 PM
there are little brass pieces that can get worn too. once they wear out, you can't move the throttle.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R024024

Salty,
I went to replace those pivots on my 1990 comp and couldn't get the morse control out of the hole. Is there a secret to getting at those pivots or am I missing something ? I was trying to be carefull and not mess anything up. Thanks

Salty87
05-01-2012, 03:43 PM
there is a bit of a trick. there's an arm on the morse unit that prevents you from just pulling it out of the hole the easy way. the diameter of the hole is something like 4" while the arm on the morse unit is 6" wide...making these numbers up but that's why you can't just pull it straight out.

you need to pull the unit away from the wall while sliding it toward the rear of the boat at the same time. when the planets align, you'll find the sweet spot.

sybrmike
05-01-2012, 03:55 PM
The other trick to pulling the shifter - put it in gear about 1/4 - 1/2 throttle to rotate the cable connecting ears. With the mounting screws loose & a little fiddling with the throttle position - you can "get the planets to align". Good luck.

supra790
07-01-2012, 04:40 PM
Does anyone have a picture of what the back of the Morse (Throttle shifter) looks like with all of the cables connected properly? I took mine apart and cat get it back together properly. I thought I took a photo but I cant find it? Also when I changed out the throttle cable it was 18 feet long, the dealership sold me a 17 feet cable and said it would work the same. i am wondering if this is the part of the problem, I can only seem to gear it to about 1/2 throttle?