PDA

View Full Version : 85-88 vs 89-91 sunsport

go4it743
03-21-2012, 12:19 AM
hey guys im new to the site and im looking into my first boat. after about a year of looking up info i have decided on the sunsport. other then possible floor/stringer issues im sure this is the boat for my family. the only thing i cant decide on is the year. 92 and newer is not a option due to length and price. so given the hulls on the 85-88 and 89-91 sunsport which one is better. does the 6inch length diffrence make a big deal. i havnt really been able to find a good hull history right up on these like the nautique's and mastercrafts have available.any info, pics, write up links will be greatly appriciated.

go4it743
03-21-2012, 04:46 PM
I plan on useing this boat primarily for wakeboarding. I probably could have put that with the original post. has any body wakeboarded behind these 2 different hulls? how does the interior compare? is there any noticable diffrence? does the 89-91 sunsport pull out of the water better given the few extra inches? once again any info would be great thanks a lot

whelchel86
03-21-2012, 10:41 PM
I foresee this getting interesting.

wspeedin
03-22-2012, 08:14 AM
I would love to help, especially since I dont see many comments but I really didnt even know there was a difference in hull's between those years. Definitely little tweaks here and there on the interior, but nothing I know of on the hull. But I also own an '87 Saltare not a Sunsport. however, I will say that these are great budget friendly wakeboard boats. Also budget friendly surf monsters too.

Salty87
03-22-2012, 11:05 AM
like will said, mostly small changes. in fact few 2 supras are very identical, even from the same year. i guess you could gets lots of options back then.

i doubt you'd really notice 6" of difference riding around. would be interesting to have 2 next to each other though.

go4it743
03-22-2012, 08:05 PM
there is a diffrence in the hull. i guess i will just have to go off looks. i think i like the shape of the 88-91 hull the best. it looks more like a newer boat. i have a few months to decide (wedding in may = boat after wedding).so i will keep pondering and if i find any info elsewhere i will post it on here.9164
i keep trying to load both of the pics of the years from new dimension towers but it is not working. i only can get the 88-91 hull style loaded

go4it743
05-28-2012, 05:37 PM
its hard to believe someone hasnt atleast boarded behind or drove these diffrent hulls

wotan2525
05-29-2012, 10:05 AM
I'm no expert on SunSports but I don't believe there is a difference in length. The bottom half of the hull should be identical. There may be minor changes that were made to the hull above the rub rail to accomodate the different windshield and some different vents. Other than that -- it should be very close.

The biggest difference? Wood strings vs. Fiberglass. Do not buy one with the woodstringers unless it is very cheap and you're confident in your ability (and wallet) to fix it. The stringers/floor will eventually need to be replaced.

The wake should be the same behind both of these boats. Good value for the money but consider investing in perfect pass and some money in a ballast system if you want to be serious about it.