PDA

View Full Version : FNG - Houston, TX

a_deleon
03-21-2012, 02:06 PM
Hey guys, well I am new to the site and to owning a boat. I picked me up an 83 Supra Star w/ a 400 chrysler motor in it. It is going to be an on going project but it is able to be in the water so all the work is just to give it a custom look and dial it in for how I want it to ride.

I have the wave plate on the back of it and was curious if anyone had any info or where to find it on how to adjust it and how it changes up how the boat runs. I was wondering how to make adjustments so if I need to change up how it runs when I start taking it out on the water.

Salty87
03-21-2012, 03:20 PM
whoa...an 83 with a chrysler engine...that goes way, way back.

welcome to the site. you know we want to see some pics of that bad boy.

wake plate all the way up for boarding. level with the bottom of the hull if you ski.

Jetlink
03-21-2012, 03:26 PM
Curious about the wake plate... Fellow comp owner here in the suburbs and I starting riding together late in the season last year. His wake was slightly taller than mine was when we were skiing around 36MPH. Checked his wake plate and it was deflected down below the hull. Got his level with the hull line and the wake decreased in size. Wonder if anybody has played with the wake plate below the hull to see what that does to wakeboarding wakes.

sybrmike
03-21-2012, 05:01 PM
I think Ken Helfrich's (sp?) fantastic Rider rebuild had a 440 - it was early 80's, as well.

Typically, wake plate up lets the arse sink down & increase wake size, plate level for flattest wake, plate below level to push the bow down & get that signature Supra deep v plowing through the water for some squirrely handling..

Where in Htown you at & where's the pics?

jet
03-21-2012, 06:28 PM
I 2nd sybr. BUT! i have never pushed mine down all the way. What does that do to the wake sybr when you plow the nose??

oops. mine is up in the 80% position.

a_deleon
03-22-2012, 12:06 AM
Well I look at it again and I don't think it is really adjustable. I will have to get pics of the plate on the back of the boat this weekend. I will get some pics of it when I put it back together. On day one I pulled the seats from the back section to see if the seats need to be rebuilt. They look like it will hold up for now but I do plan to get measurements and patterns drawn so I can cut them out. Later I will build them and wrap them so I can just pull out the old and drop in the new.

Yeah its an old boat but hey not bad for my first and I got it for two older kawi sitdown skis I just had sitting there. I want to really wakeboard and my new seadoo is not cutting it. Wakeskating behind my ski is great but I need more wake.

Sybr I am over by hobby and go out to clear lake to hit the water.

a_deleon
03-22-2012, 12:32 PM
Yeah the black one with the silver rockstar engery drink logo on the side of it is it. I didn't have time lastnight to take it off, but it will be coming out soon. I will get better pictures of it this weekend and you guys will have a better look at it.

a_deleon
03-26-2012, 09:20 AM
Ok well I was able to get some pictures for you guys to see what the boat looks like. Here is some I manage to get over the weekend, and after flushing the transmission fluid I was able to take it out for an afternoon out on the water. I like the 440 motor in it, has plenty of take off but I do need to look it over and see if I need to give it a tune up.

a_deleon
03-26-2012, 09:22 AM

a_deleon
03-26-2012, 09:24 AM
This is the plate I was looking at trying to figure out how to adjust.

Also I was wondering how is anyone else flushing out their motor after being out on the water? I know like on my jet ski there are kits you can get to attach to the motor or make your own flush kit. If anyone has pics of how they hook it up to a water hose to flush the water system out.

Jetlink
03-26-2012, 01:43 PM
Here are two pics I have that kinda show where I hook up my water to cool the engine when I run it on the hose. In the first pic, you can see the hose running into the doghouse at the very top right corner of the pic. The second one, if you look closely, you will see a brass cap that is installed what looks like, under the cooling hose that runs up from the raw water intake. That is where I hook up my hose. Works great, just hook up the hose, turn on water and it will run out the intake until you start the engine, then the water gets sucked up by the impeller. I'll see about getting some better pics in the next couple of weeks, picking up the boat April 7th.

a_deleon
03-26-2012, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the pictures! I will see if I can figure out there to try and do the same on my motor. Where I normally go is brackish water but I still like to flush it out after being out on the water.

a_deleon
04-03-2012, 12:15 PM
Well looks like another project is to swap out the packing material for the drive shaft seal. It's nice that we keep that stuff on the shelf and I can go and cut off a few pieces of 3/16" graphite packing material. I also started testing all the wires and switches to see if in fact things are still hooked up.

I have one switch where the heat shrink is labeled PUMP on the wire ends. Can anyone tell me what those will go to so I have an idea on where to look for those brown wires. Trying to see about cleaning up the wiring since it looks like they cut up the original harness when they hooked up the chrysler motor. Also when changing out the ignition switch, has anyone had it where the engine does not turn off when you turn the key off and pull it out? It happened the afternoon I pulled it out to test it out. I had to pull out the coil wire from the distributor cap so it would turn off. It has a 3 prong ignition switch on it from like auto zone.

sybrmike
04-03-2012, 03:49 PM
Brown wires are typically for the bilge pump located down in the bilge near the turn skegs? Don't know about the original, but modern bilge pumps have an internal float switch & are wired to be "on" all the time with the hot brown wire, activated when needed by the float, or turned on (manually override the float switch) with the switched brown wire.

Sounds like it's time for another cheap Autozone ignition switch...

a_deleon
04-03-2012, 04:25 PM
Brown wires are typically for the bilge pump located down in the bilge near the turn skegs? Don't know about the original, but modern bilge pumps have an internal float switch & are wired to be "on" all the time with the hot brown wire, activated when needed by the float, or turned on (manually override the float switch) with the switched brown wire.

Sounds like it's time for another cheap Autozone ignition switch...

Thanks, I just might take the switch out since I already have one for the bilge that is installed on the boat. I might look again tonight while I am putting in the new packing material for the drive shaft seal. If not I will just cap off the wires and be one less switch that I get when I try to build be a new switch panel.

After a little reading I seen that I might be still getting power to my coil. I am going to test it out tonight when I am in the boat. I noticed it was staying warm even while the motor was not being ran and never thought anything else about it. I wonder if I put a switch on my + side of the coil to kill the power to it, would it turn the motor off?

Salty87
04-04-2012, 08:50 AM
you might have 2 bilge switches, mine does. one is manual on....pump now no matter what the water level is. the other is auto mode...will pump when there's enough water to activate the float switch.

i've changed my ignition before, had the exact same problem, but can't remember how it's wired now.

Jetlink
04-04-2012, 09:46 AM
I am going to echo Salty's comment about the two switchs. On newer boats that have more space on the panel they use three way rocker switches for the pumps. Center is usually off, down is "auto on" while up is "manual on." On the older boats, there are usually two separate switches to tackles this function. My panel is labled and wired as such. I usually leave the "auto" switch on the entire time my boat is in the water and will hit the manual switch occasionally. I also have a "master switch" on my boat. It supplies power from the battery to everything and also removes all power to the boat including the ignition and engine. Might want to look into wiring one in for your ignition issue.

a_deleon
04-04-2012, 09:48 AM
Well I found the wires that go to the pump and they were cut and are in front of the motor. Looks like I am actally able to forget about hooking back up a few of the switches on there. I have a seperate one for the bilge I am using right now. I just have the lights and blower motor hooked up on the switch that are on there. I have a sahara s750 bilge that I moved to the rear of the motor by the shaft seal lastnight that has a switch for it already. I really want to figure out what to do about the ignition switch and if I can add a kill switch that will kill the motor if nothing can be done to kill the motor with the ignition switch he installed on there.

Jetlink
04-04-2012, 09:52 AM
That master switch that I have in the picture above labled "MAIN" should do that trick for the ignition. Also, where you have the pump located is not the lowest spot on the boat I believe. On mine, the lowest spot is over the turn fins in front of the engine and pylon. That should be where you locate the pump for best results.

a_deleon
04-04-2012, 09:55 AM
Jetlink

I planned on wiring up a panel board later on once I figured out the switches I wanted to go with. I might just rewire the boat once I get around to that project, everything seems to be working on and is getting power. I tested with a volt meter some of the pull switches work and don't work sometimes. I only have the bilge pump, lights, blower, and horn working that need some sort of switch. Gauges and speedo work fine and seem to be ok with the wiring.

How would I go about installing that master switch, I have seen some post on other sites that talk about it. I just haven't see a write up about it so I can try and put on in and do that to my boat. It sounded like a great idea but I am new to this so it's a little harder for me to grasp what they talk about. I am good at wiring up stuff so once I can see a write up it wouldn't take me long to figure it out on this boat.

a_deleon
04-04-2012, 09:59 AM
That master switch that I have in the picture above labled "MAIN" should do that trick for the ignition. Also, where you have the pump located is not the lowest spot on the boat I believe. On mine, the lowest spot is over the turn fins in front of the engine and pylon. That should be where you locate the pump for best results.

I moved it to the rear because the shaft seal was leaking and letting in water pretty quick. Where I ride I am not actually cruising that fast so I can't plane out and level the boat so the water seems to collect in the rear. I planned on putting my 2000 gph pump in front of the motor soon so I have two of them in there.

a_deleon
06-11-2012, 11:52 AM
Well I guess it is time for a little up date on the boat. I ended up replacing the carpet, adding a deepcycle battery to go with the starting battery, new speakers on the inside along with 15" sub, two amps for the speakers, painted the inside of the boat white since the white on the inside was dirty, finally got everything sprayed with the vynal dye so it is grey, rudder & shaft seals replaced, three new ballast to go in the boat, and finally the tower I picked up.

Hematoma
06-12-2012, 01:32 PM
Well I guess it is time for a little up date on the boat. I ended up replacing the carpet, adding a deepcycle battery to go with the starting battery, new speakers on the inside along with 15" sub, two amps for the speakers, painted the inside of the boat white since the white on the inside was dirty, finally got everything sprayed with the vynal dye so it is grey, rudder & shaft seals replaced, three new ballast to go in the boat, and finally the tower I picked up.
10202102031020410205Looking good, That boat storage isn't over in Pearland is it? Looks like the place I had mine at when I restored it? You sure you don't have a Marauder? That hull and the inside looks exactly like my Marauder, mine is an 84 with a 351.
I would stay out of Clear Lake, it's always crap and it's SALT WATER!! I ran mine out at the San Bernard river(Brackesh)(salt/fresh mix) for one season and it F'D up all my wireing and my engine mounts are rusted up pretty good. I would head to the Lower San Jac or up to Trinity river.

sybrmike
06-12-2012, 02:23 PM
Looks like nice progress & the tower appears to match the lines well. How much weight do those sacs total?

Do watch out for the salt - even on a closed cooling loop, it'll eat these old boats up quickly. I'm sure you know the drill - fresh water flush & liberal rinse after each outing will help slow, but not prevent, the corrosion. Even the LSJ can get real briney without rain, but know I'd be tempted if I lived on the southside. The guys over on the Moomba board have a Moomba/Supra Jam up at Bethey Creek on the Trinity in August if you're interested.

Hematoma
06-12-2012, 02:41 PM
Looks like nice progress & the tower appears to match the lines well. How much weight do those sacs total?

Do watch out for the salt - even on a closed cooling loop, it'll eat these old boats up quickly. I'm sure you know the drill - fresh water flush & liberal rinse after each outing will help slow, but not prevent, the corrosion. Even the LSJ can get real briney without rain, but know I'd be tempted if I lived on the southside. The guys over on the Moomba board have a Moomba/Supra Jam up at Bethey Creek on the Trinity in August if you're interested.Hey Sybr do you ever get on the GCWA forum? I got a real good friend that helps organize events for them. His name is Fred White he has a Black/white Epic 23v he hangs out on the LSJ quite often.

wiatowski
06-12-2012, 09:14 PM
This is the plate I was looking at trying to figure out how to adjust.

Also I was wondering how is anyone else flushing out their motor after being out on the water? I know like on my jet ski there are kits you can get to attach to the motor or make your own flush kit. If anyone has pics of how they hook it up to a water hose to flush the water system out.

You ever figure this out? ... I can tell you how.... I have the same ones.

a_deleon
06-15-2012, 12:40 AM
Thanks for the compliments guys. I been trying to make it look better and not a POS like when I got it for the previous owner. The title says supra star on it but that is all I know about it. I always wash my boat after I go out on the water and try to flush it as much as I can. I really stay over between hwy3 and 45 along the creek. I go out to nasau bay sometime but for the most part I stay in the creek area. I have noticed some rust but the previous owner also had this out in galveston but I am planning on going over the stuff and go wild with spray silicone over parts so I can cover it so it won't continue to get worse.

I been wanting to take it when I go out to banana bend and ride over there as well so I can be on the san jac river also. I just think it will be hard to keep saltwater out of it being on the southside of town. I been wanting to go out to a meet up that I see on gcwa. I been meaning to go back to that site since its been a while. As for the bags and tower, the bags total for 975 pounds. I have 2 - 350s and 1-275 also for me to use so it helps me out when it is just three of us out on the water. Next on the list is a board rack and some tower speakers. I really like how the tower lines go with the windshield and how the sides are shaped.

Wiatowski - I have not really figured it out. Fill me in on how to use the plate because I am trying to tune my boat for when we ride.

Hematoma
06-15-2012, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the compliments guys. I been trying to make it look better and not a POS like when I got it for the previous owner. The title says supra star on it but that is all I know about it. I always wash my boat after I go out on the water and try to flush it as much as I can. I really stay over between hwy3 and 45 along the creek. I go out to nasau bay sometime but for the most part I stay in the creek area. I have noticed some rust but the previous owner also had this out in galveston but I am planning on going over the stuff and go wild with spray silicone over parts so I can cover it so it won't continue to get worse.

I been wanting to take it when I go out to banana bend and ride over there as well so I can be on the san jac river also. I just think it will be hard to keep saltwater out of it being on the southside of town. I been wanting to go out to a meet up that I see on gcwa. I been meaning to go back to that site since its been a while. As for the bags and tower, the bags total for 975 pounds. I have 2 - 350s and 1-275 also for me to use so it helps me out when it is just three of us out on the water. Next on the list is a board rack and some tower speakers. I really like how the tower lines go with the windshield and how the sides are shaped.

Wiatowski - I have not really figured it out. Fill me in on how to use the plate because I am trying to tune my boat for when we ride.

Watch out over on Clear Creek, sh!t loads of hidden stumps. DD's don't like hitting stumps. Like I said in a previous post your boat looks ALOT like a Marauder. Could be a misprint on the title you have? Eitherway when I was doing alot of boarding I ran a 750 under the rear seat, 350 in the ski locker and 200-300 in the bow. Made for a really good wake. I put to bilge pumps in, one in the rear and another in front of the motor. Any water collects up front. My rear pump never cuts on.

a_deleon
06-15-2012, 12:07 PM
Watch out over on Clear Creek, sh!t loads of hidden stumps. DD's don't like hitting stumps. Like I said in a previous post your boat looks ALOT like a Marauder. Could be a misprint on the title you have? Eitherway when I was doing alot of boarding I ran a 750 under the rear seat, 350 in the ski locker and 200-300 in the bow. Made for a really good wake. I put to bilge pumps in, one in the rear and another in front of the motor. Any water collects up front. My rear pump never cuts on.

Man I was searching that model supra...man you are not kidding on how much it looks just like it. I seen a sick looking one all blacked out and turf on the bow that is giving me some ideas for the winter when I repaint the boat. I am running the 350's on the sides of the motor and the 275 in the rear seat. I was going to look at building me a storage box for the bow and get one installed up there later on. I have the 800gph bilge in front of the motor and the 2000 I ended up using to fill the ballast but I plan on putting the 800 in the rear over by where the rudder comes thru the hull. The 2000gph bilge fills up the 350's and the 275 really quick so I just use it for filling the ballast. I get worried when I am out at CC because my friend hit a stump breaking the rudder off and jacking up my prop. I fixed the prop and new rudder and costing me $500 to get it done. I only stay in the center and I only turn in the center and avoid coming close to the edges when I am out there. I have to remind my cousin when he pulls me because he gets to close for my comfort when he turns.

Hematoma
06-16-2012, 10:55 AM
Man I was searching that model supra...man you are not kidding on how much it looks just like it. I seen a sick looking one all blacked out and turf on the bow that is giving me some ideas for the winter when I repaint the boat. I am running the 350's on the sides of the motor and the 275 in the rear seat. I was going to look at building me a storage box for the bow and get one installed up there later on. I have the 800gph bilge in front of the motor and the 2000 I ended up using to fill the ballast but I plan on putting the 800 in the rear over by where the rudder comes thru the hull. The 2000gph bilge fills up the 350's and the 275 really quick so I just use it for filling the ballast. I get worried when I am out at CC because my friend hit a stump breaking the rudder off and jacking up my prop. I fixed the prop and new rudder and costing me $500 to get it done. I only stay in the center and I only turn in the center and avoid coming close to the edges when I am out there. I have to remind my cousin when he pulls me because he gets to close for my comfort when he turns.Is it this boat you came across in your search? This is mine.

a_deleon
06-16-2012, 05:34 PM
Is it this boat you came across in your search? This is mine.

I think it is

The picture I seen was only the front and I couldn't see the red interior. Does the front have turf on it?

Hematoma
06-17-2012, 12:43 AM
I think it is

The picture I seen was only the front and I couldn't see the red interior. Does the front have turf on it?Yea, it was prolly mine. I'm pretty sure I am the only one with black on red with the surf board grip padding on the front.

a_deleon
06-17-2012, 05:35 PM
It looks clean

I was thinking about the grip foam on the front and maybe my swim deck.